Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Slaughterfest 2012 - NEW Final Final Version is up

Fortress of Damnation version 3
http://www.mediafire.com/?c903023kaxa20a7
Changed the start so it's now troopers, demons then imps.
Chaingunners replaced with sergeants in blue key room. Both changes of course aid with speed and aggression.
Two spectres warp into the connecting room partially blocking exit of blue key room, also I though they would be nice to sneak up on people unawares.
Bfg grab results in no ambush now.
Key switch warps in 1 archvile only now which is instant. The cybers are placed where phml suggested, the wall lowers when the walls to the ne and nw are lowered.
Further detail added to red key area and other minor details including using a teleport texture for the start and changing the action on it to a lower to 8 above action which is what you wanted phml :)

True grit is almost done apart from somehow breaking the exit room as somehow I selected a couple of linedefs from there when doing something else. Currently fixing it. The end teleport sequence works fine now, the only concern is I feel revenants are not suitable for this fight and players will find it very difficult to survive with missiles flying all over the place.

^

- Those two specters you added don't like to cooperate too much, I'd say switch them for one caco or arachnotron (if it fits there).
- Line with tag 42 and action 88 - it should be moved to the middle of the tunnel, or you can "mistakely" activate the ambush while still in mastermind room, and also make sure you change action 88 to some other action like 120 or random generalized action lift, because 88 is triggerable by monsters and can cause trouble.
- When you pick yellow key, revenants in that room could lower to ground level.
- When you pick plasma gun, monsters teleport all over room and basically make dodging AV luckbased, so AV should teleport in notably later than other monsters when infights are already taking place and corner pillars are not impossible to use as cover.
- I would place BFG under archviles near exit. It would force some more tactical approach to situation and wouldn't induce deja vu because there's basically identical map progression as in exodus atm.
- Bars at the exit could require triggering by player to lower instead of lowering automatically after entering the outside section.
- There could be an ambush added after you press 3-key switch and outside part opens up. The middle red teleporter could start getting clogged with monsters and force player to move outside instead of encouraging camping.

Phml said:
FDA for Fortress of Damnation v2. A few deaths, doesn't complete.

That's a copy of the WAD, not a demo!

out of curiosity what's going on with map30, is someone editing GRBs level or is the spot still open? I've been having a strange desire to go full retard and make a monstrous map recently

Ribbiks said:

out of curiosity what's going on with map30, is someone editing GRBs level or is the spot still open? I've been having a strange desire to go full retard and make a monstrous map recently

I think there has been a general trend to bin some of grb's maps, more particulary the map in place needs A LOT of work done on it. I started a potential map for this but gave up as I don't have the mental capacity to make a humongous level. So all I can say is do it (nothing to lose) and of course good luck :)

That'd be awesome. Btw, there's a full retard addition to a full retard map that takes place in map 30 slot - all teleporting stuff does telefrags. If there won't be any map specifically done for this slot, it'd mean trouble. Well, degrassi could take map 30 slot because there's almost no teleporting, but still enough to require few edits. I edited map 30 of previous sf to work with map 30 slot and made some 40-ish minutes long demo desync... but nothing of value lost.

GRB's map is untested and therefore unplayable. Making a new humonguous map would take less effort than trying to patch this one to playable state.

aiight I shall give it a go. Little over a month, I'm sure I can finish it.

I'll try and make sure it runs better than 4fps :)

Yeah, honestly i don't care about that huge map anymore. I think I made it way too open. You guys can cannibalize and rework it as much as you want and make 3 or 4 maps out of it. But I don't think one giant map will work anymore.

TimeOfDeath said:

I was high on the 90's. :)
Seriously though, that was some of the most fun I've had while mapping.

If someone hasn't mentioned yet, I'd really appreciate you doing something with the corner between the revs and hks in the first room. It's a huge pain to get over.

great demo, it was stressful just watching it. I'm dumbfounded as to how you managed to get out from behind the crowd when you ran out of cells

Here are my choices for final wads dividing based on latest versions of submissions - which is supposed to imply that actualization may change my choices. Hopefully the rest of peeps will post some similar lists of personal picks.

Castle Lava - main wad
Shore of Hell - reject wad
Red Death - reject wad
New Gothic Tribute - reject wad
Slaughtenstein - main wad
Brookhaven Hospital - main wad
Degrassi - main wad
Bane's Atrium - biased
Flesh Eater - reject wad
Tingsryd - main wad
War to End All Wars - reject wad
Damned Legion - main wad
A base - reject wad
Pure Hate - main wad
Damnation - main wad
KSP - main wad
KykaMap07(Version4) - main wad
True Grit - main wad
Lost - reject wad
Home of the Red, White and Blue - reject wad
The Multiverse - reject wad
Stairway To Helven - reject wad
Unleash The Fire - main wad
Total Recall - main wad
These Walls - reject wad
Boom Town - main wad
Exodus - main wad
Hard Contact - main wad
Burn Marine Burn - reject wad
Core Annihilation - main wad
Last Cup of Sorrow - main wad
Warborn - main wad
Judgement desu no! - reject wad
The Side Winder - reject wad
Crimson - main wad
final level concept - reject wad
Fourtress - unsure (requires edits, some parts suck)
decimal error - unsure (requires edits, especially monsters reorganisation)
Electric Wizard - main wad
sworf - main wad
Cashews - main wad
Trifling - main wad
Doomherolandia - biased
Island of Mystery - main wad
Royale Arena - main wad
Box - unsure (unfinished, I suppose?)
Split Wide Open - main wad
Power Plant - unsure (unfinished)
Fortress of Damnation - main wad
So that's 28 to main wad
2 are my, sort of, so no comment on those
4 I'm undecided about
The rest - rejects

I think there shouldn't end up more than 35 maps in main wad, or it can cause trouble. 31-32 should be treated as secret levels and if there ends up more than 32 maps chosen, the lower end can be placed into 33-35 slot which is basically inaccessible without cmd.

Oh, and even though I did pick something for main wad, it's not supposed to imply that I find all of them 100% finalized without requiring a single edit for perfection. Quite the opposite.

There will probably be a Box v2 with much of the map overhauled as soon as I find the time and the will to toy with DB2. Everyone's feedback was very helpful, just needed some time to get it through my thick head. The current version shouldn't be included in either compilation.

I will fix my remaining maps (True Grit, FOD, Royale Arena???) late tomorrow most likely. Heh, gonna have to write a lot for the textfile it seems :P

that reminds me I still need to post the final versions of my maps (I'm still kinda experimenting with some of j4's suggestions for 'island of mystery')

I've sunk a lot of time already into the new one I'm currently working on (intended for map30), but it's going to take a lot more time to complete, it's turning out to be really elaborate. I just hope I can finish (and have time for people to playtest it) before everything gets put together. Just for fun here's some progress screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/vQh8P.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1VgWV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XHwqc.png

will probably be around 8k monsters in the end, though the gameplay isn't very similar to sf12's map 30, so I hope that doesn't disappoint anyone. I anticipate it'll be a bit more spread out / choreographed.

Ribbiks said:

I'm still kinda experimenting with some of j4's suggestions for 'island of mystery'

I had a bizzare idea and thought I'd try it out. I think it works better like this - http://filesmelt.com/dl/IOM.wad . I'm sure you'll notice the change (hint - I added just 1 thing).

hah, I was 90% sure you were going to move the RL to the start. I kind of like this idea though, it makes the infighting a bit faster without removing the pacifist RL grab strategy

fuuuu was in the process of recording fda for your map, and got to the part behind the 3 huge keyed doors on the first try, and prboom froze (getting those freezes very often on my laptop in most maps, not only this one). Didnt find the secret. Was able to keep aggressive playstyle up until the last key when i lost all armor and had to start playing cautiously. On the first glance design seems fine, balance is there as well, no suggestions really, amazing map.
Will try to give it a 2nd go later:s

Impressive indeed

FDA, beats after some deaths
http://filesmelt.com/dl/walk-fda-j4.lmp

- 200 or so monsters failed to teleport out of dummy rooms
- when you pick blue key and try to get to ground level, monsters can clog up and infinitelytalliness ensues - you could add a teleporter at the spot with archvile that gets you to ground level.

BTW, I think there are 51 maps in OP. I think ToD lost the count. :p

jongo said:

got to the part behind the 3 huge keyed doors on the first try, and prboom froze.

There's only exit triggering linedef behind those doors.

Rayzik said:

for some reason this keeps crashing prboom, tons of unknown texture errors. tried running it by itself, with sf2011tex, cc4tex, gothtx, none seem to work -.-

Ribbiks said:

for some reason this keeps crashing prboom, tons of unknown texture errors. tried running it by itself, with sf2011tex, cc4tex, gothtx, none seem to work -.-

"-file WalkWithMeInHell.wad SF2011-tex.wad cc4-tex.wad" is the one that worked for me, and you cant just add all of them or use any order it seems.

j4rio said:

There's only exit triggering linedef behind those doors.

In that case 200+ mobs failed to teleport for me as well, i had around 1050 kills.

I used only cc4 tex and it worked

- red key area felt really weak in comparison to yellow and blue, both of which made you go through hell after grabbing it. red key only triggers a single AV and some arachs that aren't very threatening.

I assume that's what content of one of faulty dummy teleporter rooms was for

ahh, it was the order, had to do cc4tex last. Usually it doesn't matter but I guess the author messed with the texture/pnames lmps.

anyways, the map was great! I really liked the whole aesthetic, and the gameplay was pretty fun. here's a fda/uv-max that completes in like.. 27 minutes or something: http://www.mediafire.com/?nawnjndszi11s9l. Also I didn't seem to encounter the problem the other players did, all the monsters seemed to tele in fine, strange.

Some comments:
- red key area felt really weak in comparison to yellow and blue, both of which made you go through hell after grabbing it. red key only triggers a single AV and some arachs that aren't very threatening. Also I think I lol'd when I grabbed the bfg and it triggered a single revenant.
- I liked having the freedom to use the invul pretty much whenever, will definitely allow for some good strategizing.
- initially everything feels really sparse, the caco's/chaingunners in the very beginning are very thinly spread out, maybe some imps or something around the starting area would make it more interesting. ofc it's arguable that when playing the map 'for real' players will just speed through all that anyways, but ohwell.