Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Well I only started getting back into DooM after being a very very dedicated (on the order of obsession) DooMer growing up. Back then I didn't have the patience to learn how to implement WADS except very rarely (then I would forget how I did it) so it was not very often I played anything besides vanilla. After blasting all over the mod scene for the past two weeks and playing a lot of Brutal Doom I decided to try Doom The Way id Did with entirely classic settings and keyboard only.

I am loving every second of it.

Finished the first Combat Shock. It was interesting seeing danne grow and develop over the course of four maps, which got gradually more aggressive. I still felt like a lot of ideas were pretty hit or miss though, which is a given considering that he was feeling out how to make a good slaughter map. For instance, there were a lot of small skirmishes in the first map that felt like unnecessary filler which slowly dwindled out over time. And ammo placement improved with each map, forcing the player to move around rather than just zip through one area to pick up 100 shells.

MAP01 was fine if not a little weird, MAP02 was really good with some pretty awesome fights (as well as a couple of duds like the last one where you could honker down in one hallway and blow the demons away), MAP03 was visually pretty but a pain in the ass due to low health given and a constant insertion of archviles into the horde mixture, and MAP04 was definitely my favorite, but mainly because it felt like one long and painful journey through the depths of some rustic temple. I can see the Sunder similarities, but danne really does have his own knock for creating super large arenas to do battle in, while Sunder was far more small scale (even in the large levels). Overall I enjoyed it. And huge props to Ancalagon for the amazing demos.

Not sure what to do next. The massive HK slog in MAP04 kinda made me want to try Holy Hell.

... and speaking of Holy Hell, I decided to playthrough it. Blegghhh. That's my opinion. Usually I enjoy slaughter maps but this was just a huge overdose. Some fights were obscenely hard, and then others just took a long time to get through. I found the end especially anti-climactic as I banged my head against a massive AV wall. Areas were very bare too; I know the author was going to gameplay, but if you're making me spend 3 hours in a map, I'd prefer to have something to look at. I wouldn't say it's a bad map overall, but it's just not catered towards my tastes.

Gonna wash that taste out of my mouth with Combat Shock 2. Interested in seeing danne's developments from 1 to 2.

Played through the first half of "The Darkening"... Not very impressed. Everything is so brown/black and dark, the maps are just depressing to look at. And there is very little variety in design themes: he just sticks to one set of textures and uses it for the whole map. Too much consistency, not enough variety. Not a big fan of gameplay in Jan's wads either. It's not bad but feels very very formulatic. The only moment I really liked was that spiderdemon fight on MAP04, that was some hectic stuff. :)

I'll try darken2 now.

I've been playing some random wads, the only one I'm really playing extensively is Beyond Reality, I'm at MAP08 now. I've been trying to beat Plutonia for about a year now.

Base Ganymede: Complete, very slowly, i just can't catch the flow. Maybe because maps so far are too meaty for the first Doom, like that horrible toxic pit/hallway with bunch of Specters, and Cyberdemon with bunch of Cacoes. Layouts so far are uninspiring, everything feels randomly placed.

Right now downloading another wad by Khorus, Absolute order for Strife, to give some feedback. I've already finished couple of maps but then realized that I downloaded an older version.

Alterworldruler's soulcrusher beta

valkiriforce's Doom Core

And also a number of tnt2 maps. (technically I am playtesting, but enjoying them all the same.)

Working my way through the 10 years of doom wads. Just finished Enigma, can't say I really enjoyed it. Enigma hasn't really aged well at all, unappealing design choices, boring gameplay and levels requiring you to find secrets to progress. Although i'll admit map 09 was pretty interesting, seizing your way into a Citadel, definitely my favourite map of the bunch.

mouldy said:

Been playing the demo of hellbound:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/59814-hellbound-vanilla-limit-remover-megawad-new-screenshots-11-16-2012-demo-3/

Looks like its shaping up to be a great megawad

I've just finished the demo as well, quality stuff there! Now I'm working through 1monster, which is a great little concept. The great thing about being away from Doom for over 10 years is that I'm now spoiled by choice and have many fantastic wads sitting on my hard drive waiting to be played :)

That hellbound is bloody great, looking forward to the rest of it. I've also finally got around to playing through knee-deep in zdoom, which I always avoided for some reason. Really impressive bit of work that

Yeah, I wasn't around at all when the drama over kdizd happened so playing it without any opinions about it at all was a fantastic experience. I was totally blown away by that project. Then I saw the threads about kdizd and wondered what all the drama was about... A great project is a great project, end of story.

i was playing doom1 when i was 8

now that the fourth episode is made,i do it

im now at e4m4. did i miss a secret exit?

glenzinho said:

Then I saw the threads about kdizd and wondered what all the drama was about... A great project is a great project, end of story.

What drama was this? I mustn't be missing out on the drama now

edit: wow just read the reviews on idgames, some serious hatred going on there.

The updated TNT2 demo, playtested them quite a bit. I also played a few Episode 4 maps from Ultimate Doom on the PS3, and was reminded of how infuriating E4M1 is on UV. The developer of that map HATES you if you want to play on UV. I swear Unruly Evil was the intended Map 1, difficulty wise.

Im tempted to go through TNT again, if only to prepare for TNT2, but I feel I'll burn myself out.

Heretic - Masters of Chaos: The last episode of this was pretty fun except for E2M3 (great idea, awful execution) and there are some cool added weapons and monsters. Some monster additions just suck, though (nightmares, invisible warriors) and I'd suggest playing with carryovers if playing on the UV-equiv as it's a survivalist nightmare. Of all the themes they play with, I like the woodland areas the most.

Back to Saturn X E1: Now that I've actually tasted Saturn X I want more. The only bad thing about the first episode is that it's not a full 32-level replacement but that's just an artificiality given the limitations when working within vanilla Doom II. I'm sorry if anyone thinks the level design is bland or the music blows because this mapset has injected pure joy into my brain.

Putrefier was pretty fun and very gorgeous. The boss was good fun, but even I rolled my eyes a fair bit at the amount of walking back and forth I had to do to see which of the barriers in my way had disappeared after the latest switch. Seeing mostly teleport fights was an interesting dynamic.

I'm at map 13 of A.L.T. and so far I'm loving it! I can't believe why this one hasn't won a Cacoward, it's not even a runner-up, the maps are so innovative and consistent, awesome presentation, realistic use of shadows, sweet level design, great sceneries, and more... I highly recommend it! :p

MarkAnthony89 said:

I'm at map 13 of A.L.T. and so far I'm loving it! I can't believe why this one hasn't won a Cacoward, it's not even a runner-up, the maps are so innovative and consistent, awesome presentation, realistic use of shadows, sweet level design, great sceneries, and more... I highly recommend it! :p

A.L.T. has a lot of cool aspects and I really enjoyed it but I'm not sure I'd call it consistent. I did manage to sneak in a mention in the Cacowards, though.

MarkAnthony89 said:

Agree. Fantastic levels; however, I stopped on MAP13, I don't know why... :D

Katamori said:

Agree. Fantastic levels; however, I stopped on MAP13, I don't know why... :D

You should keep going. There are plenty more Azamael levels (if you liked his other stuff) and some pretty unique maps, like Falcor's MAP15 (phenomenal) and Az's MAP26.

Currently on MAP22 of Plutonia Revisited, under HMP difficulty.. yeah I'm a puss. Excellent piece of work though, beats P2 every day of the week, and comes damn close to the quality of the original.

Although im supposed to be continuing the playtesting of 16/17 Devilution maps, im playing TNT Renascence to relieve my brain of the "be critical of everything, remember all odd things etc" that testing entails, while still staying within the TNT theme.

Renascence is pretty much a TNT E1 version of Wonderful Doom, an Ultimate Doom megawad that remade all four episodes, changing the layout of every level while keeping everything memorable. I loved the concept and always wished the other Dooms would get the same treatment.

Fun fact: Renascence almost killed the Devilution project.