Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cacomonkey

Doom Legacy wads that I'd love to play but...

I really wanted to play certain Doom Legacy-only wads like Hi-Tech Hell 2: Alien Tech & Phobia: The Age that look really beautiful & innovative but I just can't stand Doom Legacy's slow Open GL renderer (I just can't deal with pixeled blobbiness) that caps out at 35 FPS (compare that to 500-2000 FPS with GZdoom on my i5 Nividia 660 Ti based system!) and the lack of 1920X1080 widescreen support for my 120Hz Samsung monitor. Is there any way to play these mods in their full GZDoom-esque 16:9 glory? GZDoom has spoiled me, I'm afraid.

Actually, you can play both in GZDoom. They should mostly work. (Some eyecandy effects like coronas are lost, but they aren't very important.)

Gez said:

Actually, you can play both in GZDoom. They should mostly work. (Some eyecandy effects like coronas are lost, but they aren't very important.)

Thanks for the info. Yes, I did try to play the first one I mentioned in GZDoom but got this strange thick blue haze covering everything, so I assumed it wasn't compatible with GZDoom, but then I went into the source port's settings and disabled fog and now everything is fine, though I kind of wanted to see all the eye candy, the selling point of these two mods with Doom Legacy. But I'll adapt.

Well congratulations to your new computer (looks like you needed to show off), but I find it hard to belive that you can recognize more than 60fps. Maybe some exceptional invidiuals can perceive 300fps, but 500-2000fps is impractically high. Were you smoking something?

http://www.cameratechnica.com/2011/11/21/what-is-the-highest-frame-rate-the-human-eye-can-perceive/

It's considerably lower than what you think.

You have a moniter of 120hz that means even if the game can render 1000+ frames per second your only going to to have 120 frames updating to your screen each second.

Legacy was designed to run on PIII's back in the day, I used to enjoy playing Doom on my crummy P450 but at least I had opengl while playing COOP on Doom Connector (Good times 2001 - 2002).

While you're here arguing that 5000 FPS isn't better than 120 FPS, I'll remind you the OP was annoyed by Legacy being capped at 35 FPS. Not 60, not 120, 35. :p

Gez said:

While you're here arguing that 5000 FPS isn't better than 120 FPS, I'll remind you the OP was annoyed by Legacy being capped at 35 FPS. Not 60, not 120, 35. :p

Exactly. Using the Open GL renderer in Doom Legacy, it was capped at 35 FPS. Quite unexceptable when you've been playing at a minimum of 120 FPS with Vsync enabled. Anyway, all is fine now with GZDoom though perhaps a bit darker than I prefer on Phobia without having to crank up the gamma. My MSI Afterburner FPS did in fact show frame rates of 2000+ FPS but all that's irrelevant since I prefer to play with vsync enabled to avoid tearing.

Pottus said:

http://www.cameratechnica.com/2011/11/21/what-is-the-highest-frame-rate-the-human-eye-can-perceive/

It's considerably lower than what you think.

You have a moniter of 120hz that means even if the game can render 1000+ frames per second your only going to to have 120 frames updating to your screen each second.

Legacy was designed to run on PIII's back in the day, I used to enjoy playing Doom on my crummy P450 but at least I had opengl while playing COOP on Doom Connector (Good times 2001 - 2002).

Not with vsync disabled. It soars to 2000+ FPS on Vanilla DOOM levels but I prefer to use vsync so yes, it's locked at 120 FPS. Perfectly acceptable :D Besides, no sense in wasting power with that Nivida 660 on framerates I'll never appreciate. ;)