Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phendrena

[WIP] Manic Miner Doom - Feedback Wanted [Update 08/12/12]

Hi,

I am looking to get some feedback on the WAD I am working on. Before you download it and say 'it is rubbish' bear in mind a few things:

It is my first public WAD,
I've not created and levels since the 90's,
It is a WORK IN PROGRESS.
Difficulty levels have been added.

Textures and enemies are subject to change pending feedback, bear in mind that the choice of enemies that you encounter is to fit the theme of the level so you will not encounter anything exotic until a very specific section.

I am looking for feedback regarding the level layout and the idea behind the level. Please do not tell me that a texture isn't aligned/out of place/missing.

Good/Bad feedback is welcome but can you try and be constructive?

NOTE: as this is a WIP I have not stripped out the textures and stuff and I'm not using so it is 20mb+ download (I don't see that as a problem in this day and age tbh).

Designed with ZDoom in mind. I'm not sure about compatibility with other source ports as I use transparent lines and 3D 'room-over-room' sectors.

Manic Miner Doom v0025

It can be completed from a pistol start although you might need the secret in the first room (there is a specific decoration in any room that contains a secret)

The level can now be completed and I have moved it from MAP05 to MAP01 so you just launch the WAD and not need to IDLEV05 anymore. I still have some custom textures to add into the map but these are not crucial and are just for some added flair.

Enjoy and have fun, I look forward to your feedback.

Dave

Phendrena said:

.... and ruin the surprises?

OMFG I dont wanna be ruining all the surpriseseses.............

but seriously is 1 screenshot going to kill you? only takes like 2 minutes of your time.

It's probably a good idea to post a screenie. :)

It's pretty good so far, although the Suicide Bombers get on my nerves a bit.

"AAARRRGGHHH yourself!"

/Bows to pressure

Added a couple of screenies for you viewing pleasure.
Yeah, the suicide guys are a pain with the constant screaming.

Minor update to v0019 - still no Red Key or exit.
Starting room expanded and a few custom textures of my own creation added.

Have Fun

I'll be adding a lot more of the animated 'specimen' computer type displays.

Let's hear some constructive feedback as it would be invaluable to me!

Dave

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Did anyone else expect some kind of tribute to the old Speccy game when they saw the thread title?

It is, it's a massive WIP. All the level names and therefore the theme of the level will be based around Manic Miner - i'm even going to include the music from the Speccy version of MM for good measure!!

This is in the first room of MAP05, although Miner Willy and various enemies will pop-up around all the levels...

Dave

Oh, and yes, The Menagerie was the third level in the original Speccy version... I'll re-order them around at some point :)

Dave

what is making this zdoom only? or can it be run in boom/prboom?

Loved Manic Miner on speccy :), tho played it first on the Amstrad CPC

Lemonzest said:

what is making this zdoom only? or can it be run in boom/prboom?

Loved Manic Miner on speccy :), tho played it first on the Amstrad CPC

TBH I have no idea what the differeneces between the source ports are other than Choccy Doom is vanilla and ZDoom adds extra stuff. I use slopes, stacked 3D sectors and transparencies. The map is in Doom-in-Hexen format. So there you go.

Dave

Hi all!!

I've added and uploaded the latest version of my WAD.
The level I've been working on is now complete although I still need to add some detail and a few other things.

http://sdrv.ms/WQmXRT

Please have a look and let me know what you think.
Bear in mind that this will not be MAP01 when it has been added into the megawad so while it is possible from a pistol start it's harder than it should be.

This is a single player map designed for ZDoom as that is the source port I use. The map uses transparent lines and also 3D 'room-over-room' sectors.

Difficulty level have been added so i'd be interested to hear what people think about playing the map on different settings.

Enjoy :)

Dave

I recently had the idea to try a Manic Miner themed Doom wad but it seemed a bit beyond me. No idea if you're still around after all this time but very interested in this project.