Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doomist

Program For New Textures?

What program do some of you guys use to make textures and flats? I really want to make transparent textures and wall textures for myself.

I'd use Photoshop. To create transparent textures, you mean like windows? That can be done with any texture in Hexen or UDMF format.

Textures are created either in image editing programs like Photoshop or specialized programs like Genetica.
Here's a list of free programs that i know:

MapZone (analogue is Substance Designer)
Paint.Net (Paint/Photoshop)
GIMP (Photoshop)
Wood Workshop (Genetica)

If you'll learn how to work with these free programs then you'll be able to create textures with more advance but not free programs like Photoshop. They cost a lot of gold tho.

If by transparency you mean textures like grates and railings then in SLADE3 you need to select the color of transparency in the Convert to.. menu, the cyan color is selected by default, which means that cyan parts of the texture will become transparent.

Harmata said:

Textures are created either in image editing programs like Photoshop or specialized programs like Genetica.
Here's a list of free programs that i know:

MapZone (analogue is Substance Designer)
Paint.Net (Paint/Photoshop)
GIMP (Photoshop)
Wood Workshop (Genetica)

If you'll learn how to work with these free programs then you'll be able to create textures with more advance but not free programs like Photoshop. They cost a lot of gold tho.

If by transparency you mean textures like grates and railings then in SLADE3 you need to select the color of transparency in the Convert to.. menu, the cyan color is selected by default, which means that cyan parts of the texture will become transparent.

You could use trial version of PhotoShop, and if on alot of sites you can get a big student discount these days. I'm using a pirated version myself, but I'm going to buy it because I'm a student (it only costs me about 30 Euro's then!). That, and pirating is bad, mmkay? :)

Blue Shadow said:

What software do you usually use to create and edit graphics, in general? Use that.

I, my self, use Paintshop Pro.

Ya I really like this one myself even though it's older but the technical aspect and simple user interface make it very enjoyable.

Thanks guys! I'll check some out, see which one seems right. BTW, never made any textures, pictures, or anything on a computer, so I don't really have a program for drawing and such, if you count MS-Paint, which pretty much sucks! **