Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raptomex

Autoloading mods with autoload removed

Ok, so I'm using Zandronum. I've had Brutal Doom autoloaded for a while now. I have removed the autoload text from Doom 2, TNT, and Plutonia. So it looks something like this now:

[Doom.Autoload]
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Zandronum\PK3\brutalv017.pk3
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Zandronum\WADS\BrutalDoomRegeneration.wad
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Zandronum\PK3\BDMutator_DannyGloverOriginalFuckYourself.pk3
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Zandronum\WADS\DoomMetal.wad
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Zandronum\WADS\DoomMetal2.wad
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Zandronum\PK3\UltimateBrutalArsenalAlphaV01.pk3

[Doom1.Autoload]
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Zandronum\PK3\BDMutator_DannyGloverOriginalFuckYourself.pk3

[Doom2.Autoload]

[TNT.Autoload]

[Plutonia.Autoload]

The odd thing is when I load Doom 2, TNT, or Plutonia they still play as if the mods are running. It's really starting to get on my nerves. If I re-add the "brutalv017.pk3" autoload to the games again it failes to run. I don't understand this. It's like it's "ghosted" in somehow and I can't find the source of the problem.

I should mention I'm running Windows 7 64-bit if that matters.

If I remember correctly:
Doom.Autoload is for all of the doom games.
Doom1.Autoload is for ultimate doom.
Doom2.Autoload is for Doom 2
etc.

[Doom.Autoload]

[Doom1.Autoload]

[Doom2.Autoload]

[TNT.Autoload]

[Plutonia.Autoload]

MagnificentBeard said:

If I remember correctly:
Doom.Autoload is for all of the doom games.
Doom1.Autoload is for ultimate doom.
Doom2.Autoload is for Doom 2
etc.

[Doom.Autoload]

[Doom1.Autoload]

[Doom2.Autoload]

[TNT.Autoload]

[Plutonia.Autoload]

Wow I feel like an idiot. I thought Doom.Autoload and Doom1.autoload was for the ultimate and shareware or something. Good to know, thanks. It's working like it should now.

Raptomex said:

I thought Doom.Autoload and Doom1.autoload was for the ultimate and shareware or something.

The flaw in that logic is that source ports are supposed to deny custom content being loaded with shareware IWADs, anyway.

Edward850 said:

The flaw in that logic is that source ports are supposed to deny custom content being loaded with shareware IWADs, anyway.

Supposed to; however, many no longer do. EE is amongst those that go out of the way to block mod loading even through newly added means if the IWAD is the shareware one.

ZDoom also refuses to autoload anything if the IWAD is marked as shareware. Of course anyone with half a brain will be able to get around this - on the other hand it's probably even easier to find a pirated IWAD. In the end it's a token gesture, nothing more.

Quasar said:

Supposed to; however, many no longer do.

I actually researched this a bit. Here is a list of ports that removed this restriction:
Doomsday, EDGE, Legacy, PrBoom+, PrBoom, ReMooD, Vavoom.
ZDaemon had the block removed in 1.04 by NightFang and it was later added back in when we were made aware of it.
Since most ports don't seem to care about the blocking ZD could lift the restriction again, but there probably is no real demand for this feature anyways.

I block weapon 6 and 7, and refuse to load PWADs, unless the IWAD passes a MD5 digest of known IWADs. Sure, you can always hack out the checks, but, you do what you can to respect Id's wishes.

If Doomsday allows loading PWADs with only a shareware IWAD then this is an oversight and not an intentional change. Will fix...

kb1 said:

I block weapon 6 and 7, and refuse to load PWADs, unless the IWAD passes a MD5 digest of known IWADs. Sure, you can always hack out the checks, but, you do what you can to respect Id's wishes.

Do you allow Freedoom to be loaded with mods?

If so, nothing prevents to load "Ultimate" Freedoom as the IWAD, shareware Doom as the first loaded PWAD, and anything else afterwards. The effect will be sorta the same for any mod that only uses the same assets as those contained in the shareware game.

Actually, no. Freedoom is not a purchased IWAD, so I didn't include it in the list. Is that wrong? Honestly, since I own Doom, I've never contemplated the moral implications. I use the MD5-checking code to do other things (original demo version checks < 1.4, split HUD, etc), so it was easy to extend that idea into the shareware/registered/PWAD-loading checks.

Personally, I don't have a problem with Freedoom, but, I do wonder: Should Freedoom require a purchased IWAD (defeating it's purpose)? (goes off to check out the Freedoom threads...)