Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Bedlam [uploaded to the archive]

Uhh, maybe someone else could make e3m8? Because I can't make anything at all. No need to make something epic, just a medium-sized boss map with moderate difficulty. You could use my attempt as a base.
Also I'm terribly sorry for dragging this for so long...

I will take your e3m8 map and try to finish it.

Is it alright if I use few tech textures?
I am goin to use spidermastermind as boss, so I think that the level could benefit from few tech things as a hint that something not purely organic is residing in there.

I was distracted by other games and real life, but I am still working on the e3m8 map and it is going great. Layout is about 70% done and I already imagined how the map will look as final product. I plan to use few tech textures in final outdoor area, if you dont mind.

I use Visplane Explorer plugin for DB2 and as far as I checked no limits were reached with a little exception.
There are some DRAWSEGS overflows in starting area. Fortunately these are unreachable without cheating. Also, DRAWSEGS overflows do not cause crashes but only visual defects. I even tested these areas (and whole level) in chocolate doom and I did not notice any problems.

Should I post any screenshots?

Thanks a lot for the help! You can post screenshots of course if you want. :) I can't say much about tech textures without seeing the map.

Layout is almost done. I spent last few days by fighting visplane/drawseg overflows, and I finaly fixed all of them today.
I just need to make final outdoor area and then I can start placing monsters and pickups, which I was already thinking about while making the map.

few screenshots (gzdoom without texture filtering):

[pictures no longer working]

Finished! I would call it E3M8 - Devilish Project
I just playetested the level with Chocolate Doom, in all three difficulties and finished it without secrets and even without saves, though ultra-violence was challenging. The only problem with the map is that it crash vanilla when you try to save, Savegame Buffer Overflow. People can always use setup of Chocolate DooM and disable this savegame limit. They can also use some bug free port like BooM. And those freaks in Compet-n play without saves anyway.
I also made various tweaks to make it DM compatibile, placed DM starts, extra DM weapons and Coop Starts
All vanila limits (except the savegame buffer) were not breached.

It is my first level for Doom but it looks and play very good in my opinion.

So I am ready to send it to you. Try it and tell me what you think.
Where should I send the map?

Any info on E3M9 by NoneeLlama ? How is his pogress?
Also I PMed you with download link on speedyshare, in case you did not notice.

I got your map and it is really nice, thanks! When NoneeLlama (I don't know anything about his progress btw) finishes his map, I'll compile a beta version for public testing and post it here.

Sokoro said:

Any info on E3M9 by NoneeLlama ? How is his pogress?
Also I PMed you with download link on speedyshare, in case you did not notice.

Bad. I got super lazy and didn't made any worthwile progress since June. This is how it looks now:

I'd need to make two "buildings" to both sides of the map (plus an exit az the top), but I just couldn't push myself to go on with it.

Beta release: DL. It doesn't have the secret map and I think it contains an outdated version of E3M4 but I can't contact the author at the moment...

Please tell about bugs, post suggestions on how to improve the maps, etc...

You know, i don't dislike the brown ceiling and darkened lava sectors in my e3m3 as i thought i would! The randomly green parts on some walls though? That's absolutely horrendous and i absolutely object to that change. Seriously, having some walls partially green looks like shit. I demand you remove all green textures from the lava area! D:
Also you missed a bit of red ceiling in there, and the rad suit secret for some reason has a wrong floor flat - i thought i fixed that 0_o

Actually Memfis, let's get this shit coordinated. Here i'll just have a note for potantial players that the secret sectors bugs are noted.

Memfis said:

Beta release

Hooray! I'd like to beta test but I think I will be busy for a month. I'll see what I can squeeze in. In case I find time, would you prefer comments on thread, PM'd to you or PM'd to author?

Anyone who cares please be aware that this is the fixed version of e3m3, not reinserted into the beta yet. The beta's version has no fatal bugs tho, unless you ran around the building in the lava, then a sector with a cacodemon won't rise from under the floor. Also the secrets are all screwy - lots of unneeded sectors (and one unreachable one) are marked secret. Dunno how i messed THAT up. :D

I would like to note that some maps have missing DM and Coop starts.
Also ceiling texture of sector 94 in E3M4 should be FLOOR6_1 in my opinion, because it looks really weird with LAVA1 on ceiling and ROCKRED1 around it.

Well, we still need e3m9 and also I want to compile a list of all things that the mappers should take a look at. For example, there is a few ways to "break" e3m6 and complete it a lot faster than intended. Maybe purist isn't okay with that.

I thought about e3m9 map in style of the original e3m9. Therefore your MemfisE3M1 Bedlam map with aditional areas which open when player reach fake exit. Just an idea for backup map in case that NoneeLlama gives up.

Anyway I think that I should do some changes to my e3m8. I want to change all lava floor sectors to have damage of 20 which is default for lava and change one small part of level to account for that. I am goin to leave all blood floor sectors on 0 damage because I prefer to use blood as hell's variation on water.

I am also open to ideas how to make the final fight with Spidermastermind harder, .. or just any other suggestions.

Memfis said:

Well, we still need e3m9 and also I want to compile a list of all things that the mappers should take a look at. For example, there is a few ways to "break" e3m6 and complete it a lot faster than intended. Maybe purist isn't okay with that.

Wow, my Bedlam map seems like a long time ago now. I'm pretty sure I left some shortcuts in on purpose. Obviously, there's the secret exit plus I think I added extra keys in secrets. I'm not against even unintended shortcuts as a rule. If it was good enough for the original game it's good enough for my maps :-)

PM me what you've spotted though and I'll have a think. If NoneLlama still hasn't done E3M9 next year I'd volunteer too.

Yeah, I feel horrible. I started 2 maps, but ended but finishing neither (the ideas didn't worked out like how I imagened).
But I actually have an unfinished map that can be worked out into a nice little secret map. I may need 2 mappers helping out if I run out of creativity again (and it could also improve the concept of the map). I'll send the idea to Memfis via PM, and if he likes it, then I'll start making it. If he turns it down, then I'll give up the mapslot.

I made new version of my map.

-Fixed few texture misaligments
-Changed lava sectors to do -10 or -20% damage (default for lava)
-Shortened lava tunel to switch that open doors to final outdoor area

I PMed Memfis with speedyshare link to new version.

I wish people do not call this project "shit" as Antroid did :D
I do not know about others but I tried my best to make my map as polished as posible within my current abilities.

purist: linedef 195 can be pressed from sector 16. linedef 427 can be pressed from sector 11.
btw also on e3m7 the yellow key can be grabbed easily.
I think all these shortcuts are cool but what the authors think?

Sokoro: got your map, thanks

And I approved NoneeLlama's concept, let's see what he comes up with.

I made yet another version of my map.

v1.02
-Former Sergant (thing 557) is not stuck inside of impaled body anymore.
-Texture misalignment of sidedef 2588 is fixed.
-More health on UV difficulty (If some players still find it too hard then they should not play on UV ;) )
-Removed few imps in blue key area and moved two demons in yellow key area

note: the map is really nonlinear.. I tried to beat it trough different routes and I always succeeded. I admit that difficulty of some encounters depend on how many weapons player pickup in the map beforehand, but is not that true for all nonlinear maps? Anyway I managed to survive both yellow and blue key areas with only pistol and shotgun (starting weapons).

So I do not understand what went wrong in Arsenikum's playthrough.

Sokoro said:

I wish people do not call this project "shit" as Antroid did :D

Whaa? I never called this project anything bad, in fact i like it a lot! It's just the version of my map that was included in the beta was a bit broken (and somebody recolored some of the textures in a purely red-and-orange area into green, which was a rather baffling decision...), but all of it was fixed pretty quickly when i and a couple guys pointed out what was wrong.

Memfis said:

purist: linedef 195 can be pressed from sector 16. linedef 427 can be pressed from sector 11.
btw also on e3m7 the yellow key can be grabbed easily.
I think all these shortcuts are cool but what the authors think?

Sokoro: got your map, thanks

And I approved NoneeLlama's concept, let's see what he comes up with.

Thanks for the bump, Marcaek. I missed this.

Memfis, I'm fine for those shortcuts to stay in. This really needs to get finished. Do you need any mapping doing to get this over the line?