Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

schwerpunk said:

KYKA: "Doom" and "bump mapping" are two things I never thought would work well together in a sentence ...

Don't forget that you can always sneak a "3" into that same sentence ;)

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

TNT2 map 17.

The slightly bumpmapped brown texture on the walls, Do people think it looks good or it sucks?

It looks a little too pixelated to me, but otherwise it's probably fine on its own--BUT, frankly it looks like shit combined with those bright SHAWN textures. Needs some kind of intermediary colors/shades in between them.

Antroid said:

That, and personally for me they seem a bit creepier when they don't do anything as opposed to being clearly agressive like everything else.

I completely agree. Part of what made SuperMetroid so damn freaky in places is that everything that moved wasn't necessarily out to kill you; in fact, killing some movers was detrimental to your progress (so you couldn't just shoot at everything all the time). I really like the idea of creepers that aren't bad -- plus, I think those bugs are looking great.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

The slightly bumpmapped brown texture on the walls, Do people think it looks good or it sucks?

it definitely looks like something you'd find in a TeamTNT wad.

Very subtle 40oz :P

I don't disagree, but I do think the are is overly brown. Maybe try something more silver.

It's a weird texture, to be sure. I think it could be useful somewhere, like in a rusted mine shaft or something, but those embossed brown walls and that bright silver shawn2 are really working hard to make each other both look awful.

Crap.. I'm kinda new to this and cant delete my post.
How do I make the thumbnail link to the bigger picture?

Thanks Essel :D

Untamed64 said:

Crap.. I'm kinda new to this and cant delete my post.
How do I make the thumbnail link to the bigger picture?

See the _th added to the end of your filename? remove that and you have the full picture's url. To link an image, put url tags around it. It's a bit confusing to look at, but this is how you'd code it for your image:

(Quote this post to see the code for it.)

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

I think it looks pretty neat actually. It looks like a molded cement material or something, but sometimes what I think looks good and what actually looks good may or may not be the same thing.

Thoughts?

I think if you made a variant that has horizontal banding like the BRONZE series it would look better in that particular scene. It needs some edging at lip of the floor and ceiling. Feels a bit cut-off.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

The bumpmapped textures can look really good in places with dim lighting, but the brighter it gets the uglier they look.
I've been using them a lot in TNT2 Map06, mostly in derelict areas.

And speaking of them:

Hey, everyone, I'm not dead, just unconcerned, heh...

Anyway, check this out!

This was the first time I ever saw anything like this. These two barons are fighting each other, but I was looking away, so I never saw how it started.

Do you think one of their wives was cheating on them with the other?

Haha, always funny when I see that.

What had actually happened was that one of the Barons blew up a barrel, hurting the other Baron. Only way same-species infighting can occur.

Don't quote me on this, but I think the way it works is that whenever a barrel is destroyed, hurting a monster, the monster will seek the first target that inflicted damage upon the barrel, rather than whoever blew up the barrel.

Thanks for the comments guys. So the general consensus is that the texture is decent in and of itself, provided it is used in a way that is tasteful and appropriate.

So, for example, don't use it with bright SHAWN-esque textures. o_0

traversd said:

I think if you made a variant that has horizontal banding like the BRONZE series it would look better in that particular scene. It needs some edging at lip of the floor and ceiling. Feels a bit cut-off.

Hmmm. I'm gonna play with this.

Processingcontrol said:

The bumpmapped textures can look really good in places with dim lighting, but the brighter it gets the uglier they look.
I've been using them a lot in TNT2 Map06, mostly in derelict areas.

And speaking of them:

[image]

Looks good. I am looking forward to seeing this map.

Platinum Shell said:

Don't quote me on this,

Sorry, I couldn't resist quoting you on this. Also, I think you are correct in what you have said about baron infighting. That is my understanding as well.

Here's something I found in the final room of the final stage in the DOS version of Chex Quest 2 sometime in 2011:

According to this topic from a different forum it's said to be a code for a coupon for a box of Chex cereal.

In a few weeks when I get my S-Video cables in, I should be able to run Doom on two different computers and displayed side by side on the tv! 52in screen Doom is sweeeeeeeet!

Sneak peek from "Somehere in Time" megaWAD project. I'm sure that some people may find it ugly, but in my opinion it's not that bad actually. =) also, this is still unfinished :P

Memfis said:

I made a square room

Slander! I see a cut-off corner!

Anyways nice pic, it looks like a room that could have been from memento mori, which I can always get behind.

Katamori said:

Sneak peek from "Somehere in Time" megaWAD project. I'm sure that some people may find it ugly, but in my opinion it's not that bad actually. =) also, this is still unfinished :P

Cool, looking forward to your megawad, maybe put some trim on the fences along the stairs? And detail on those walls in the background?

Chex Warrior said:

Cool, looking forward to your megawad, maybe put some trim on the fences along the stairs? And detail on those walls in the background?

Thanks! Sadly, I can't, because the wall of the stairs would be unaligned. Also, the place is close to overflow in vanilla Doom... I pushed that room to the limit, so I can't make more details.

Ribbiks said:

bordering on joke-wad...

Consider placing a border sector in the walls and having the ceiling and floor height of it be the same. Then put the blood stained WOODMET as the lower texture and the un-blood stained variant on the upper texture.

Just to limit the repetitive tiling.

EDIT, like this:
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3203/doom2000.png
EDIT2: Ok didn't see the floor was actually below the WOODMET textures.