Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

Doom the Way Id Did: The Lost Episodes [v1.666]

DTWID: The Lost Episodes - download v1.666 on /idgames

Whoop! Verison 1.666 (heh) of the Lost Episodes of DTWID has hit /idgames! For those who haven't seen it yet, it's a massive (6-episode!) vanilla-compatible collection of map submissions to Doom the Way Id Did, tweaked and reworked and kickassified. Don't think of this as just an "overflow pack" -- there are tons of super-solid maps here that may have not be the most id-like but still stand on their own as great maps. If you enjoyed DTWID and are itching for more, or if you like Classic Doom in the slightest, look no further!

The maps arearranged in episodic form similar to DTWID, with E1, E2, and E3 once again serving as alternate-universe versions of Doom's original episodes. E4 is a bit of a mix, with some dedicated E4-style maps (thanks Cap'n Toenail!) intermingled with some hellish efforts to round out the roster.

Users of ZDoom or Eternity will find two additional episodes, "Base Instinct" and "The Final Gate", added to the roster. The former is a Phobos-Deimos hybrid episode that's also distributed as a separate wad (DTWID-E5.wad) replacing E1 for vanilla and other ports. The latter episode is a "Boss rush", showcasing the tons of submissions for boss maps that DTWID recieved (good golly gosh!). In its current state it will not work outside of ZDoom/Eternity since MAPINFO is required to make the boss specials work, though extracting the wads as individual maps will make 'em work in vanilla just fine provided the right map slot is assigned.

While 1.666 ought to be nice and stable (like its Doom counterpart version), there's no guarantee there won't be future updates. Stay tuned, perhaps!

Enjoy, folks!

ZMAPINFO has info on E4M8, saying it ends with the cyberdemon death trigger (as per episode 2), but EMAPINFO doesn't say that, so it would apply the spiderdemon sector lowering trigger, if applicable. What's the map mean to use? Assuming it's a vanilla episode, there must be an error in ZMAPINFO.

I think E6M3 is supposed to be toggled as Cyberdemon death trigger in ZDoom, but isn't.

Other than that, lol @ the E6 ending spiel

Whoops! That's an inconsistency for sure. Fixed -- thanks for the catch.

I meant to document this, but E4M8 is an odd case because it's a cyberdemon boss map in a spiderdemon slot. Trouble is, just dropping a spider in doesn't really work, but it's the most E4-y boss map available in terms of style n' such, so I made the odd decision.

Long story short, you technically can't exit the map in vanilla, which is a to-fix for v1.1. Didn't want to hold up the wad release for now, since the map's going to need some editing if it's going to work in that slot. I guess I could swap it out for an E6 map, but it wouldn't feel right somehow. :P

There ideally shouldn't be any other things that don't work in vanilla (aside from E6 and E5M0), but something's bound to come up. ;)

[EDIT] Fark! Fixed E6M3 too. It was a Baron map originally -- seems I forgot to change the special. :(

One way to fix E4 for vanilla is to provide a special DeHackEd patch for it that swaps the spiderdemon and the cyberdemon infos, which I attached below.

Edit: Oh wait, I was thinking the cyberdemon was using the spiderdemon's E4 end trigger for some reason. So this hack won't work! The real fix is to extract and rename all the maps to E2Mx, changing the sky to SKY4 (ideally through DeHackEd or by editing TEXTURE2.)

e4-cyb.zip

This is an excellent idea. Not only is the Doom Community effectively "re-making" and porting the original Dooms, we're now releasing our own expansion packs!

Thanks to everyone involved.

Well this is a nice surprise. Halfway through E1 now, after having to see what the 'Boss Rush' was like first -- E6 really is pretty fun to blast through in one go.

Is E5 of this megawad same as PhobosDemios Anomaly ?
I suppose it is not, cause one episode is usualy nine maps and PDA contain twelve maps.

Xaser said:

Users of ZDoom or Eternity will find two additional episodes...

Strange decision, why make them port specific? I would divide the wad in two instead.

E5 is already available as E1 in a separate PWAD. E6 would have to be split into one ExM8 map per level. Feel free to do so if you really want.

MAPINFO just allows to make it more convenient for people who do use ports. I suppose a DD_DEFNS could be added for Doomsday.

Text file bug: Apparently, E1M1 is followed by E4M2. :p

lots of cool stuff here, i've just noticed that Episode 3 and 4 don't have a Secret Level, is it intentional?

EDIT: Also, i think you did something like in the phobosdeimos memorial episodes (only 2 episode to select in the main menu even in boom-compatible) with ALL the episodes playable even in not-zdoom engines...

Gez said:

MAPINFO just allows to make it more convenient for people who do use ports. I suppose a DD_DEFNS could be added for Doomsday.

In Doomsday, the boss specials would be re-created via XG line types and then placed on the map. Given that even Vanilla Doom can tolerate unknown line types, they wouldn't cause any issue with other ports.

That said, as of writting, Dday doesn't support ExMx map numbers outside of the original games numbers (it supports Mapxx map numbers outside of the original games numbers however) or custom menu's.

The below XG approximates the boss specials; I haven't timed how long the Episode 2 and 3 specials wait after the death of the last boss mobj for, hence stuck 5 seconds in the below definitions.

# EPISODE 1

Line Type {  
  ID = 10000
  Count = 1
  Class = plane_move
  Type = timed_off
  Flags = mobj_gone | ticker
  Flags2 = when_act | any
  Time = 1
  Thing type = "BRUISER"
  Ip0 = "lsref_tagged"
  Ip1 = 666
  Ip2 = "spref_lowest_floor"
  Ip5 = "pstop";
  Ip6 = "stnmov";
  Fp0 = 1
  Fp1= 1
  Fp2 = 0
  Fp3 = .1
}

# EPISODE 2 + 3

Line Type { 
  ID = 10001
  Class = chain_sequence
  Count = 1
  Type = timed_off
  Flags2 = when_act | any
  Time = -1
  Thing type = "CYBORG"
  Ip0 = done_d
  Ip1 = 10003
  Fp1 = 5
}

Line Type { 
  ID = 10002
  Class = chain_sequence
  Count = 1
  Type = timed_off
  Flags2 = when_act | any
  Time = -1
  Thing type = "SPIDER"
  Ip0 = done_d
  Ip1 = 10003
  Fp1 = 5
}

Line Type {
  ID = 10003;
  Flags2 = when_act | any
  Class = end_level
  Count = 1
  Time = -1
  Ip5 = 0
}

# EPISODE 4

Line Type {  
  ID = 10004
  Count = 1
  Class = plane_move
  Type = timed_off
  Flags2 = when_act | any
  Time = 1
  Thing type = "SPIDER"
  Ip0 = "lsref_tagged"
  Ip1 = 666
  Ip2 = "spref_lowest_floor"
  Ip5 = "pstop";
  Ip6 = "stnmov";
  Fp0 = 1
  Fp1= 1
  Fp2 = 0
  Fp3 = .1
}
EDIT: This forum really needs something like code tags.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

E: Someone please make one more good map for this so we can complete episode 4 too.

That kinda defeats the purpose of it being an outtakes pack.

Vermil said:

EDIT: This forum really needs something like code tags.

You mean like this?

[code]blah[/code]

I've attached a vanilla DeHackEd patch for episodes 1-3. Episode 4 needs to be played on the second episode because of the last level, so I excluded it for now. WINULL.lmp replaces all the WIA***** lumps through the patch.

Vermil said:
Yes, but on Doomworld, if the content within the code tags get's too long, it isn't turned into a scrollable window like other forums.

I don't see why you'd want to use the bold tag instead, when it's just as long and non-scrollable with normal text but even less readable due to the lost indentations :p

General Rainbow Bacon said:
E: Someone please make one more good map for this so we can complete episode 4 too.

I think it's cool that it only has eight so that vanilla players (including PrBoom+ speed runners) and advanced port users get the same levels.

dtwid-le-deh.zip

At the time I was unaware that Doomworld had code tags.

Given that Doomworld doesn't change code tagged sections to scrollable windows if they get too long, I didn't bother to change it once I found out Doomworld did have code tags; the length wouldn't change if they were bolded or in code tags.

Cool! Thanks for putting this together Xas! Glad you used a fixed version of e1m8. I really don't like the sinking floor at the start any more (sinking floors are e2), but ah well.

Been playing a bit of this and have been enjoying it very much. I'm up to near the end of the first episode. The problem is trying to make it challenging using just the limited Doom 1 bestiary without resorting to hordes & hordes of monsters. So far this wad has succeeded. Good work, guys. I'm playing it with the Particle Fire Enhancer mod. Just love watching those flaming Lost Souls exploding into firey gibbets :D

Something I missed earlier; E1M3 can't decide what it wants to be! The Automap says it's a Recycling Plant, but the intermission insists that it's a Nukage Dump.

BaronOfStuff said:

Something I missed earlier; E1M3 can't decide what it wants to be! The Automap says it's a Recycling Plant, but the intermission insists that it's a Nukage Dump.

Secretly, it's really "'O' of Destruction!"

myk said:

I think it's cool that it only has eight so that vanilla players (including PrBoom+ speed runners) and advanced port users get the same levels.

A ninth, "secret" map wouldn't change that.

Gez said:
A ninth, "secret" map wouldn't change that.

The issue is that on one the secret map is reached from E4M2 and the other from E2M5. The level will likely be too tough for one or too weak for the other. At least new weapon placement tends to be an issue there. But now that you say that (or maybe this is what you implied), since ZDoom and Eternity are very customizable, it should be easy to make the secret level work from E4M5!