Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueFireZ88

Doom Expanded Final [RELEASE]

Celebrating 20 years of blood soaked, demon killing carnage...

Welcome to Doom Expanded, a compilation enhancement mod for GZDoom for use with
the original Doom IWADs. Now enjoy this mod's Final Version with bonus extra content
packed in!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Get It All Here:

MediaFire
http://www.mediafire.com/?5pvxd2fo967uim3

DRD File Space
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/sYvCAwyjt7/expandedcs-final.zip

Here's the Thy Flesh Consumed content for those who want it:
http://www.mediafire.com/?lk16bswyhgcwovc

Contains:
-Skunk's E4 Intermission Map
-E4 Calculated Par Times Text
-E4 Fixed Levels Wad

The purpose of this modification is to add a number of graphical, sound, and gameplay
enhancements as well as other tweaks and additions to the classic Doom experience while
keeping the original gameplay intact. This mod keeps the fast and fun style of the original
Doom series, but adds an "Expanded" overall presentation to the classic games.

If you have any critiques, feedback, suggestions, or questions please contact me either
through email or post your thoughts below.

NOTE: I cannot stress enough to READ THE TEXT FILES!
It will answer any basic questions you may have.
If it doesn't, ask me, and I'll provide the answer you need.

Screenshots:

Doom 2 (MAP10): Refueling Base
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/DEB82.png

Final Doom - Plutonia Experiment (MAP32): Go 2 It
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/DEB83.png

Lost Episodes of Doom/Jupiter Missions (E1M1): UAC Spaceport
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/DEB87.png

Doom the Way ID Did (E3M8): Core
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/DEB88.png

For those who are interested, here's a 18 minute let's play of the first four levels of Doom 1 (Finishing E1M9). I'll see about doing some levels from E2 and E3 as well. I at least plan a video on E4 and a full play of MAP18 from Doom 2.

I really like the barrel explosions, with the way the green sludge vaporizes when they explode, and I like the armor sprites. Lots of interesting stuff here. I don't know how much of it is new content and how much of it is from other sources. It might be worth making a list of whatever is new to this, otherwise it may end up looking like just another pile of thrown together resources to the casual observer.

This might be good for those who think brutal doom is too... brutal.

I just posted a features list (I apologize since this wasn't there before).

Also add a change log listing the changes from Beta 8-5 and 1.0 Final. Some entries are similar to the features list, only because they were added into the final version.

For those that wanted to try this with DTWID: The Lost Episodes, please try loading Expanded after LE otherwise there are texture errors.

Unfortunately, I have no explanation to why that happens, but it seems to work perfectly fine if loaded second.

UPDATE: Back to Saturn X also has load issues, but can be sorted as long as Expanded comes after both the main wad and the Dehacked patch.

Probably safe to say that you should try loading Expanded before and after certain mods to make sure errors don't appear.

Also, a new minor patch is available for the BFG which fixes a minor DECORATE issue. Check the first post. New downloads will already have the patch.

Expanded has something far more powerful than the BFG:

New Expanded 1.1 patch on the first post which combines the firs two patches but adds a fix for the Unmaker spirits.

Most likely that a handful of these sprites were made with certain settings during development.

Try setting Sprite Clipping in OpenGL settings to "Smarter". That should have them back in place.

Glad you like it, enjoy the mod! :)

For the most part I think this is dandy, but I'm not a fan of the E4 music replacements. Sure they're from the beta music, but they just don't fit the episode very well. I feel like that should have been an extra and not part of the default package.

Not bad. Sticks close to the standard gameplay while adding some flair. Perkristian did a pretty damn good job on the sounds so you can't go wrong there, and while I don't condone the use of them the Doom 3 sounds are used rather well. There are a couple of old sounds still there though that stick out amongst the higher samplerate ones. Not sure I like the different chaingun sound seeing as the updated pistol sounds meaty.

ler:
If your willing to do a little editing, you could just remove the "thyinterpic.wad"(which is modded) and replace it with the unmodded version in the Extras. You get the map, no new music.

Khorus:
Honestly, there were times where I felt like I didn't have enough sounds to choose from, even though I had some extensive sources. I don't know, I don't claim to be a sound expert, I just did what I felt fit or sounded good to me.

On another note:
I'm going to try and get the last of the videos for Expanded uploaded and posted tonight if I can. Otherwise, expect them soon.

Yeah that's probably what I'll do. I just felt it was really offputting considering the way everything else is in the wad.

If your going to fix E4's broken secrets, you should also fix E4M7's ones, not just E4M3s.

I just finshed E4 about half an hour ago, these edit make me want to run through it AGAIN (Screw you Against Thee Wickedly, youve killed me ENOUGH today)

I'll look into E4M7, seems like an easy fix.

Any other levels from E4 that may need fixin'?

NOTE:I'm probably release these fixed up levels separately here on the thread.

Also, fixed up E4M7 and E4M4.

Its a shame the Master Levels never had an IWAD of their own (Not sure about the PS3 Doom Classic Complete's version), I think those had some areas to fix up too. Also, I like it how the Lost Episodes have coverage in the screenshots. As a commercial(previously?) product, I think it should be supported more :p

Speaking of Lost Episodes, I do have something I've been working on that I hope to put up on the threads here soon. It's not Expanded related, but as you've seen, it'll work with it fine.

Also, I have a few things I'll be posting on here later in the day, a new video and a couple of downloadable goodie too. Stay tuned!

I'm sorry if this is later than I promised, but here's some things I've been meaning to get around too:

First, a full Let's Play of MAP18 (The Courtyard) from Doom 2:

Second, the first post has been updated for three things:
1.A fix for some of the levels in Thy Flesh Consumed seperate from Expanded (includes E4M3, E4M4, and E4M7).
2.An updated version of Blue Shadow's Expanded HUD with some minor fix-ups, changes, and feature additions (checking for armor type, green or blue).
3.An updated version of Expanded adding in the two previous features into its zip file.

I hope everyone enjoys the new materials!

In light of the recent release of GZDoom 1.7.0, Blue Shadow and I took into account a noted change for the default Alternate HUD, something that wouldn't be wise to overlook.

So, now the Expanded HUD now indicates that you picked up the Berserk powerup in the form of a black cross next the the health indicator.

You can download the updated HUD on the first post and the HUD's been included in new downloads of Expanded as well.

Have a Happy Holiday everyone!

The PSX Doom sounds are a bit weird. Why am I hearing Baron deaths over and over in that Courtyard video? I like the new pain sounds, breaks the monotony.

Could we get a a video of say, TNT or Plutonia? Theres still some things yet unshown in the videos, I'd like to pass them on to friends and get them interested in Doom again.

Secondly, is this currently just for Doom and Doom 2? Curious if Final Doom will benefit from all that crazy awesome lighting. (tbh, I'd love it if this project expanded to all the official Doom engine games...even Chex Quest. A man can dream right?)

Ragnor said:

The PSX Doom sounds are a bit weird. Why am I hearing Baron deaths over and over in that Courtyard video?

I personally never found those death sounds to actually sound like he is dying, it literally sounds more like some demon grunting.

Ragnor said:

The PSX Doom sounds are a bit weird. Why am I hearing Baron deaths over and over in that Courtyard video?[/B]
Coolster said:
[B]I personally never found those death sounds to actually sound like he is dying, it literally sounds more like some demon grunting.

Your hearing this sound a lot as they're now active sound for the Hell Knight. Honestly, they sounded more like they belonged to the HK than the Baron (with it's more high pitched chirps and gasps).

I know not everyone agrees on my choice of sounds, but it was probably one of the most difficult parts of making this mod was finding sounds to use (and especially ones that fit).

Ragnor said:
Could we get a a video of say, TNT or Plutonia? Theres still some things yet unshown in the videos, I'd like to pass them on to friends and get them interested in Doom again.

What about Final Doom in particular? Expanded covers Final Doom and has addons for Brightmaps for both TNT and PE as well as warpped waterfall effects in Plutonia. Heck the TNT MAP31 patch is in there too just in case. Final Doom works fine with Expanded and has the additional materials to match. I'll only do videos if you feel it's absolutely necessary.

Also, I wouldn't expect an Expanded for anything beyond the Doom games. It took long enough just to make this mod and I'm burnt out.

I must thank you for putting this together. I really never use these sort of mods for too long before ditching them.

After playing through Plutonia Revisited with Expanded, I found this mod to be a real treat, and I consider adding it to my Global Autoloads. The extra gore is satisfying but doesn't affect/change/molest gameplay nowhere near as much as Brutal Doom, which I am grateful for. The fire graphics are just incredible, and have a great synergy with GZDoom 1.70's improved light shaders.

I quite liked the use of PSX sounds for the monsters, it allows them a good bit more of personality rather than having than having a static pain state sound for most of them. Infighting affairs happen to have bit more of a personal touch to them. Just listen to how that cacodemon whimpers as a revenant lands each subsequent blow. The use of 'hi-def' Doom SFX along with Doom 3 SFX works well and doesn't end up as cartoony as Beautiful Doom.

As good as it already it is, I'd like to suggest a few improvements:

When fighting numerous demons at once in large areas, I like to know what's coming my way, every second, so I can fully understand the situation, who I'm fighting and rationalize my next move. When excited imps, mancubi and revenants are flinging death in my general direction, I find myself often getting them mixed up, as they don't stand out far enough from each other, besides size and other subtle details. Differentiating between the three helps one get an idea of monster placement, and how many there of them.

IMO, I think the imp fireballs should stay as they are. For mancubi, their fireballs could be modified to have that intimidating "meteor" look, as they did in Doom 64. Perhaps the center of their fireballs could be darkened quite a bit to look like there is some serious mass within that fireball, rather than just a supersized imp-fireball.

Revenant missiles, are the easiest to get mixed up with the imps. With their heightened danger factor, they should be instantly recognizable from everything else. Rather than looking like an overheated, flaming rock, they should resemble such as in Doom II: a flaming missile.

IMO, use the PSX SFX for the rocket launcher, its much more badass and would work great for this.

With the new torch effects, perhaps the candle could be edited to have its own cute little flame as well?

I'm glad you enjoy it that much. Makes me glad I made this mod to begin with.

Believe me, the shots between Imp, Revenant, and Mancubi are similar, and sometimes difficult to tell apart in a firefight, but there are ways of telling them apart.

Size is a good way of discerning between the Imp and Mancubus fireballs. In the original Doom games, Mancubi shots were meant to be fireballs, not missiles (like 64). So it only made sense that they would have a larger shot that reflects this. They have a large trail of fire following behind them where as the imps have only a small flaming tail on the ends of their fireballs.

The small fireball of the imp is usually a single ball. Revenants do have missile sprites with flames surrounding them, and they ALWAYS come in pairs, both for regular rockets and seekers. Revenants rocket pair will always be side-by-side with each other while imp fireballs are singular. Seekers also have long smoke trails behind them that also help them be told apart from the normal rockets.

At this point, I'm probably not going to change the missile behaviors of these three monsters, but I felt you should at least know that there are differences, which may or may not be obvious. Same thing kinda goes for the candles. They weren't really going to be changed in the first place.

I'm probably not going to trade out any sound effects, but it probably be easy enough for you to throw together a quick wad which overrides the sounds in Expanded with the PSX ones.

I hope this offers some insight. And again, I really appreciate your support! Have fun!

Both "strict" compatibility modes seem to be broken with this mod. Items dropped by zombies cannot be picked up. And it looks like they're not affected by gravity.

Other than that, pretty nice.

Why are you using the compatibility modes? I don't touch those on the grounds of there being serious issues with the game. Leave it at "default".

BlueFireZ88 said:

Why are you using the compatibility modes?

Mostly for authenticity.

Leave it at "default".

Sure.

By the way, the problem was caused by the "spawn item drops on the floor" parameter.