Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arttu98

What did scare you on doom when you were little?

Yeah since I was 14 when the game came out I was more intrigued by the looks of the game. Definitely some creepy moments, like the lights shutting off in e1m3, and the cyberdemon's footsteps were really scary. I remember standing in the start room and thinking yeah, I'm not going out there.

Some spooky moments:

When I was watching my big brother playing in the E1M4's swastika room, the action sound of a demon scared me and seeing its corpse for the first time looked like it wasn't dead and would wake up back to life at some point.
I didn't really paid attention to the monsters' action sounds but when I was playing in the toxic room with the rising walkway in E1M5, my friend and me heard a random zombie action sound while he said ''that didn't sound good''. I then freaked out and quit the game.
At one short time, I hated being scratched by imps and barons. That made the E1M2's -and M4's mazes, E1M5's yellow door room and the glowing room before the exit (thought it had imps) uncomfortable.

Heretic:

The only ambient sound that creeped me out was the squishing sound. I had to play each level without sound except E1M1 and E1M5. The sound of spawning pods in E1M8 made me and my friend wonder, what the hell was goin on there. The Iron Lich (played in skill 1) made me jump. It went like this - when I opened the door in the pod room, I thought the lich was just an unique decoration which looked like one of the grey columns in Sonic 1's Scrap Brain Zone 3 for some reason. I had the stupid habit of wasting ammo to pick up the Dragon Claw and then it started to move towards me... Epic moments of the mid-late 90's.

D_DEAD and, by extension, any map that used it. That foreboding tune, especially once I learned of MAP10's teleporting cyberdemon, immediately killed any enthusiasm I had for a level. Even now, my knowledge of Refueling Base and Suburbs is very poor. By the time I rediscovered Doom in my teens and was old enough to overcome my fear, I had moved on to the world of PWADs.

The E1M4 maze has been mentioned here several times, so let me echo the consensus. The close combat and narrow hallways constituted an immediate IDCLIP to the yellow key for me. It certainly didn't help that I had a strong fear of demons back then.

I recall I found the music "waiting for romeo to play" which played in "The Countyard" map creepy when I was much younger.

I played Wolfenstein without sound for probably a year. I finally got a soundcard and played one morning before school. After first dude yelled "gestapo!" I thought I had shit my pants.

PurpleMenace said:

The E1M4 maze has been mentioned here several times, so let me echo the consensus. The close combat and narrow hallways constituted an immediate IDCLIP to the yellow key for me. It certainly didn't help that I had a strong fear of demons back then.

I played PSXDoom back in the day. I jumped feet when I found myself face to face with a PE.
Add coloured lighting, the ambient music and overall darker atmosphere of the Playstation port, and my age of 4...

I do wonder how I'm not mentally scarred by this game.

The same shit that still spooks me today: usually when pinkies sneak up behind me and I turn around to look one right in the beady little yellow eyes. Or when they pop right up in my face when I round a corner. Not really scary, just never seems to fail to startle me.

Playing PSX Doom for the first time back in my school days, and coming face-to-face with a Pain Elemental... on the first fucking map. I thought I'd cleared everything out (although the Chaingun Guy should have served as some sort of warning for the various surprises ahead) and was just getting all the secrets, eventually using one hand on the controller so I could eat lunch while getting those Armour Bonuses up in the secret by the 'zig-zag' room. Now I wouldn't say it scared me as such, but it did make me say "oh shit!" and put my drink down.

All over the fucking floor.

BaronOfStuff said:

Playing PSX Doom for the first time back in my school days, and coming face-to-face with a Pain Elemental... on the first fucking map. I thought I'd cleared everything out (although the Chaingun Guy should have served as some sort of warning for the various surprises ahead) and was just getting all the secrets, eventually using one hand on the controller so I could eat lunch while getting those Armour Bonuses up in the secret by the 'zig-zag' room. Now I wouldn't say it scared me as such, but it did make me say "oh shit!" and put my drink down.

All over the fucking floor.

I'll confess, even a few weeks ago, I was playing the TC, went up the lift, and completely forgot he was there.
I can't imagine it must've sounded like to anyone unfortunate enough to be listening.

Well, the demons, the first time i saw a demon (or pinky)it scared the shit-outta-me! also the barons on E1M8 and their active sounds!

Part in e1m3 where you have to obtain yellow key and pinky demon is waiting for you, scared the shit out of me as a kid back then. heard it groaning in the dark waiting for prey. In doom 2 revenants also known as "brown skeletons" back then were scary with silent fastwalking, eyesockets and inhuman warcry

qoncept said:

I played Wolfenstein without sound for probably a year. I finally got a soundcard and played one morning before school. After first dude yelled "gestapo!" I thought I had shit my pants.

for me, map31 actually used to be the only map I dared to play without iddqd because nazis felt familiar to me after playing wolf 3d.

And map30 music is the scariest one for me. I'm still playing more slowly and cautiously on levels using this one.

dat crazy demon in the e1m4 maze, gosh I jumped so high when I just turned and saw he was eating my flesh... it prevented me from entering the maze so many times...

the abandoned mines and monster condo were scary places to play back then, and for some reason the arachnotron in the circle of death thrilled me since I watched the player died in the doom 2 demo.

other stuff that gave me the creeps are: finding the soulsphere for the first time, the dark rooms in e1m2 and e1m5, the group of demons in e1m8, and the maze maps (map 11) from plutonia 1 and 2, full of arch viles (I guess the arch vile traps at the end, when they cornered you to death)

and finally, to date I am a little scared to play the first map in deus vult 1, when you have to kill like 5 cybers w/your rocket launcher in that long corridor. scary to face them.

Hearing the imps in the soul sphere secret in E1M3 but not being able to see them (since I didn't know how to get in there) always creeped me out.

Disclaimer: I first played Doom when I was 15...

As ever, these tales relate to PSX Doom.

* Realising not every monster gives you ammo. I was shocked at the bestiary section of the manual, wondering how in hell there would be enough ammo to kill everything ;)

* When I first encountered the Pink Demon, now that was excellent. You can choose to start at the beginning of Ultimate Doom or Doom 2. When playing Underhalls on UV, I fell into the little channel between the "key house" and the walkway you leap across from, and a Pinky charged straight down there and killed me. We thought it was immune to pistol hits and I remember thinking how unfair that was. Scared the shit out of me. Pinkies are so easy to beat and their attack is so worthless that I can't believe I ever died to one on its own.

* The music for The Focus - when the voice gasps - I was in the dark corridor, not realising there was a light switch to take all the fear out. The monsters were all new to me and I simply could not beat the map on UV. That pitch-black corridor was terrifying. My sister and her boyfriend laughed at how scared I was by a game.

* Final Doom's Lunar Mining Project. The music scared my sister so bad as she thought something was actually coming down the corridor towards us.

* The Mansion. Terrifying and foreboding on co-op, and not a map I ever really played on my own.

* The Marshes. Turning the lights off and hiding from the Cyber, hearing it clanking around in the darkness looking for us.

MajorRawne said:

1) Final Doom's Lunar Mining Project. The music scared my sister so bad as she thought something was actually coming down the corridor towards us.

2) The Marshes. Turning the lights off and hiding from the Cyber, hearing it clanking around in the darkness looking for us.

LMP was my favourite level of all in the PSX, just because the music fitted it so perfectly. That underground section...damn...
Also, I thought that Doom 1's SKY3 looked pretty cool there, and I think it's better than TNT's own SKY3.

As for the Marshes, guess you didn't know the Cyberdemon can see through the dark? :P

MajorRawne said:

* Final Doom's Lunar Mining Project. The music scared my sister so bad as she thought something was actually coming down the corridor towards us.

Lunar Mining Project scares me to this day. Because someone thought that terrible sector based furniture in the rooms at the start looked good. I can't believe they kept it in the PSX version.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Lunar Mining Project scares me to this day. Because someone thought that terrible sector based furniture in the rooms at the start looked good. I can't believe they kept it in the PSX version.

If we count things like that than I can honestly say the whole TNT wad scares me to death just by existing. Most of the levels scare me, most of the music scares me, most of the new textures scare me. I'm scared to live in a world where people who play/listen to/look at that and like it are allowed outside a mental institution.

- Demons (used to be terrified of E1M3 because of this)
- The dark maze in E1M2
- The demon maze in E1M4
- E1M8 obviously, I was terrified of the barons
- E2M8
- Cacodemons
- E2M1 because of the dark room where you get the plasma gun
- Doomguy's death scream
- Doomguy's face when he's getting close to death
- Revenants
- PSX Doom

I got something close enough, happened in Heretic though. When I was about 7, there something that happened to the settings of the launcher that caused the sound to become defunct. Not really knowing what I was doing, I went into the SFX menus and started screwing around.

After awhile, I finally booted up the game. For some reason had set the volume to max beforeheand. The demo for E2M9 began to play and before I knew it, my ears were suddenly assaulted by the overwhelming sound of excited Sabreclaws. The music still didn't work, so it only added to the factor of surprise.

Needless to say, I ran out of the room screaming at the top of my lungs.

-The combination of darkness and the former humans' "idle" noises in E1M2's maze were a very unsettling combination for me.

-E1M7, particularly the parts where I was exposed to fire from enemies who the autoaim just couldn't seem to lock onto, as well as the moments when I picked up a key, resulting in a door unleashing enemies not exactly in the immediate area but somewhere nearby.

-I also recall the maze to the red key in E2M6 was pretty creepy due to the darkness and abundance of hidden rooms containing monsters, not to mention that level's fake exit.

-E2M4 is not one of my favorite levels, but I recall that scrolling wall with the faces towards the end leaving me with a feeling of not-rightness.

-E2M5: Seeing one of the hanging corpses for the first time.

-E2M8: Shooting at the lost souls and hearing the Cyberdemon's alert noise for the first time.

I don't think it's been said already but PSXDOOM MAP14: Halls of the Damned used to terrify me, when it was time to go to the red door.
The lights were dim and blue, the music scared me and there were Barons and Revenants in there. I think it was actually my scariest moment from the first 20 levels actually.

I remember when I first played Doom 1 on 360 last year - the one thing I remember thinking at one point in Knee-Deep In The Dead was "oh god it's a Pinky, and it's nearly pitch black."

I don't think that now though.

Also when i was 9-11

It was disgusting for me to those creepy hanging body , so i stayed away from them

And also the Icarus map04 had that room where you had to go thru some of the bodies , so i pushed "-" to smaller the screen

I used to find the Cyberdemon mildly unnerving. Nothing else, really.

Actually, what part of this thread isn't covered by the Doom Confessional Booth thread?

(empty) said:

Actually, what part of this thread isn't covered by the Doom Confessional Booth thread?

Maybe if someone is proud of being scared of cyberdemons in childhood? ;)

As far as I can remember...
The Pinky demons. I was terrified of them as 3- or 4-year old kid. Demons in tight corridors. Running at me. As such a young kid I couldn't think of even most basic strategies, even backing up while shooting. They almost always ripped me apart. Also, with Vanilla Doom's color palette, in moderate darkness (which is really common in the game), they appeared brown or skin-like when far from me, and I thought they started glowing red when coming close to me, taking their first bite. Very long time after I realised they're in fact lame swines, spastically charging at you.