Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang

21st December, do you believe about the Apocalypse?

Avoozl said:

Seeing as it's the 21st here and that it's a Friday does this mean Rebecca Black will be the cause of the apocolypse?

I dunno, what time zone are we supposed to go by?

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

Ah today's the day! Hope everyone still alive(Not Portal)! It seems that I am waiting for death, the countdown to death...............

GO!

Avoozl said:

Seeing as it's the 21st here and that it's a Friday does this mean Rebecca Black will be the cause of the apocolypse?

Almost, Rebecca Black and Justin Bieber are headlining a charity concert to try and get Kim Jong UN into the FHM's top 100 sexiest women of 2012.

alterworldruler said:

You are BS yourself, no evidence to prove your claim, you are full of crap like all those who say the world will end tomorrow.

Dude, Sokoro just got burned! High five, man!

Well, I'm not dead. :)

Is there even a reason why the apocalypse is going to happen? Giant meteor, aliens, One Direction blasting from outer space? Someone fill me in.

Obsidian said:

Giant meteor

Well, I was under the impression that the next large Near-Earth Asteroid passes by in February. So that's fucked.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

Ah today's the day! Hope everyone still alive(Not Portal)! It seems that I am waiting for death, the countdown to death...............

timezones timezones lololololol. It's still 50 minutes before MY apocalypse. Actually, who said it will be 21.12 at 0.00? I think it might be something kewl, like 12 minutes after 9 p.m. - 21.12.

This brings up critical questions! Did the Maya have daylight saving times? Should be use the Chichen Itza timezone, or that of Bugarach? How can we prepare for the imminent end of the world without knowing these important little details?!

Reminder that the Mayans never predicted the end of the world and the whole thing was made up by a guy on drugs.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

You're going to look really stupid in just over 24 hours from now.

Obsidian said:

Is there even a reason why the apocalypse is going to happen? Giant meteor, aliens, One Direction blasting from outer space? Someone fill me in.

According to fraggle (a few posts up), it's going to be a global cretinism pandemic. ;-)

fraggle said:

Reminder that the Mayans never predicted the end of the world and the whole thing was made up by a guy on drugs.

You're going to look really stupid in just over 24 hours from now.

Indeed. Now time to see about finding a pint of something tasty to drink while I laugh at all the stupid.

It's already the 21st in some parts of the world (as I type this)..They are still going so..yeah...there ya go.

Obsidian said:

Well, I'm not dead. :)

There's a bunch of theories, most of which conflict with each other.

Many involve a large planet/brown dwarf/star/etc (no one can agree what it is) called Nibiru either passing by the planet and causing disasters to happen, or crashing into the planet. None of this is rooted in any Mayan writing -- I believe with the case of Nibiru the guy Zecharia Sitchin had predicted it to come later and people just merged his date to correspond with the ending of the 13th bak'tun on the Mayan Calendar. It's somewhat worth noting that there have apparently been several predicted dates where it would be clearly visible, but as expected, nothing was visible.

There's a bunch of other theories, but the things about Nibiru and Terence McKenna (as mentioned in Fraggle's links) seem to be the most notable ones, from what I've seen. There's other things involving various alignments between several things, but they are even more ridiculous

It'll just be postponed to some other made up day. Its psychological warfare to make people not bother rebelling against tyranny because they think they'll be doomed soon anyway by a made up diversion, and effective against 95% of the black friday shopping angry birds playing sheeple. Plus the elites can make a cool million or whatever by selling that horrible movie "2012" and a lot of books which should help fund another fema camp or two or darpa research into fusing technology with black magic, just in case people manage to put an end to their printing of ulimited disposable income.

That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. (much like my posts, hey shut up I heard that)
-hitchens

InsanityBringer said:

There's a bunch of theories, most of which conflict with each other.

It's more like an amalgamation of several different stupid ideas into one headache inducingly stupid superidea.

The original idea comes from Terence McKenna's drug-fueled idea of "novelty theory", which is a load of incoherent pseudoscientific nonsense. He later discovered that his "predicted" date roughly lined up the ancient Mayan calendar and decided to incorporate it into his story. Aside from "novelty theory", McKenna is most well-known for inventing the term "Self-transforming machine elves", beings resembling "self dribbling basket balls" supposedly encountered when tripping on DMT.

The date itself is just a date that the ancient Mayan calendar rolls over, like how the year 2000 was significant to us and a bunch of stupid people thought that was somehow going to be the end of the world. Except now for some reason we're worrying about calendars from long-dead civilisations in addition to our own. Quite why we even ought to pay attention to doomsday predictions from the ancient Mayans even if they had made them is unclear.

The Nibiru thing is another addition to the stupidity. It comes from a woman named Nancy Lieder who claims she's in contact with aliens and has somehow managed to con a load of credulous people into believing her. Actually she's been predicting the end of the world via the Internet since the '90s. "Nibiru" is a planet supposedly four times the size of the Earth, except there is no evidence it exists at all. So obviously there's a conspiracy by the government to cover up its existence.

There are other additions. The whole thing is kind of fascinating in a bizarre way. It's interesting to see how kooks have started from one stupid idea and gradually piled on their own equally stupid extensions to it.

\         __------~~-,
    \      ,'            ,
          /               \
         /                :
        |                  '
        |                  |
        |                  |
         |   _--           |
         _| =-.     .-.   ||
         o|/o/       _.   |
         /  ~          \ |
       (____@)  ___~    |
          |_===~~~.`    |
       _______.--~     |
       \________       |
                \      |
              __/-___-- -__
             /            _ \

fraggle said:

It's interesting to see how kooks have started from one stupid idea and gradually piled on their own equally stupid extensions to it.

Memetic evolution, much like any popular religion. Which is why a future religion will be based on a mixture of lord of the rings & lady gaga perhaps with Rick Astley as some sort of prophet; the snowball has already started rolling.
Really though, people belittle "memeplexes" but they are sort of a form of life, or like viruses for brains, which means they can be complex and replicate and be interesting/unpredictable. And they can have a lot of power swaying and manipulating masses of people.
I think of people having imaginary balloons surrounding their head of various sizes proportional to the particular memeplexes their brain has absorbed. Like someone might have a fairly large "encyclopedia dramatica" balloon, and a lot of the output and thoughts of their brain will be based on this memeplex, combining/mutating with others in their brain. Other balloons can be anything "richard dawkins" "alex jones" "pulp fiction" of various sizes. All complex memeplexes based on perhaps the smallest memes possible, the individual letters of the alphabet of the language they speak.
Or something.
Also beavis says heh not huh (which I know because the memetic balloon of "beavis and butthead" is above/in my head)

Heh, I'll be spending my apocalypse building Doom maps and playing my first Battletech game at the local card shop. I always did say that I would play that game if it was the last thing I did.