Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project - /idgames link is up

Oh shoot I was trying to get my map done to contribute. Would there still be time? Uses only a few monsters so it could easily take spot 30 (prboom compat).

What format is the map in? The map order is sorted by format and then alphabetically. But your map can be added if you finish it soon.

edit: oops, I see you wrote prboom compat

mmm... i found a problem playing this with zdoom, the walls can't lower in map14.

Anyway, good job to everyone, lots of very cool maps.

Also, why this looks like "Doom 2: Hell Edition" on zdoom? I mean, there's only a hellish sky for all the maps....

walter confalonieri said:

Also, why this looks like "Doom 2: Hell Edition" on zdoom? I mean, there's only a hellish sky for all the maps....

Well it is only v1.0! It'll probably be corrected for subsequent releases -- and I wouldn't mind the option for adding custom skies.

Speaking of subsequent releases, I've made a few geometry tweaks and one or two minor (non-gameplay) fixes for The Hive. Nothing major though (thankfully); I'll upload the revision later.

mmm... i found a problem playing this with zdoom, the walls can't lower in map14.

What sector is it? I just played map14 in zdoom 241 and didn't see any problems.

If that bothers people I can use the default skies for ep1, ep2, ep3.

Can I still submit a map? I made a map for this project, but I'm okay if you don't want to use it.

Name: Needs more Detail
Type: Doom 2 limit removing
Music: "Stinkburt" by Hyena (from Mock 2)
Difficulties: Not implimented
Single Player: Designed for
Multiplayer: Not implimented
Deathmatch: Not inplimented
Summary: This is kind of half a jokemap: I decided to make a map that consisted of one ridiculously detailed room. There's still a decent amount of gameplay, so hopefully it's still worth playing. Enjoy. :)

Okay, first revision of The Hive for whenever a project update is ready:
http://speedy.sh/zYh2p/bos-hive-rev1.zip
A few things have been tweaked, in particular making a certain secret much more worthwhile. A few items/enemies have been shuffled/added, but seeing as there were no bugs (that I knew about) everything else is the same.

A new sky is included (as a separate image), would appreciate this being added too.

Almost every map that i've finished: AV ambushes, monsters behind exit doors, lousy visuals, weak encounters.
Troll Fortress: tried this one before noticing that the full megawad is available, solid gameplay and visuals. This one actually made me interested in the project.
MAP01: Every boss and three AVs on the first map used clearly without the knowledge HOW to use them properly. There is a chaingunner behind exit door, and the exit door is behind a boring "battle" with Spider Mastermind. Well, welcome to mapping, cannonball.
MAP02: The final battle is easily skipable, and all its monsters can be easily killed from safety. Looks ridiculous. Also, too much ammo for SS, plasma would make encounters more interesting. Nice visuals.
MAP03: Oh god, green goo gives no damage which makes keeping balance on those walkways pointless. The exit is ridiculous, it's a wall behind crates. Who the fuck exits through the wall, what was logic behind this? Was it so hard to make a tunnel with a turn? Even more, it is guarded by a trigger that spawns a chaingunner and Baron.
MAP04: Oh boy. You can run around completely ignoring monsters and even on such open space they can get into a lot of fights with each other.
MAP05: The elevator to the green goo room should also be activated with Player walks over.
MAP06: What's the point in those railings if they don't block player's fire? The map contains zero ammo, some textures aligned badly and all you see 90% of the time are those useless, pathetic, brown railings. The map ends abruptly.
MAP07: Wait, so you can submit maps that were already published? This is unfortunately unmodified WaterHQ.
MAP08: You run until you cross the exit linedef. Nice map for running, i think i saw an imp or two, but those might have been hallucinations.
MAP09: The completely dark room with imps and Pain Elemental AND Specter is such a bad fun-killing idea that i want to find and rape the author. Oh God, there's another dark room... now with chaingunners and a spider...
MAP10: Large slaughter map filled with mostly low-tier monsters. Encounters are weak, you can run out of the room after you triggered the ambush and all monsters will gather in a corridor to the room.

Oooookay, i really don't want to play further because i already know what's wrong with this project.

How many mappers can we get to contribute to a single project?

These are maps made (or finished after they were dug up from somewhere) only to be included in a project that has almost 0 requirements and no quality assurance, which means that people didn't have to try to make a good map, they only had to submit something. I've finished 11 maps, and only 3 of those are decent, everything else is either someone's first map or a lousy job. And the only thing that suppose to justify such amount of crap is this:

Every mapper is different

A new map is not an achievement, an entertaining one is. Or in the case of a project with clear goals, the one that achieves them.

Trash the crap, make some real goals, implement QA, and try again.
(EDIT: Ah damn it, can't upload pictures now. Eh.)

LOL @ Harmata. Your masterpiece "Blood on marble" was light years more fucking crappy than many of the maps you just pissed on. You seem to have failed to realize that this is just random maps compiled into 1 wad. So playing this wad from map01 and onwards, expecting some kind of difficulty curve or texture theme just makes you look more retarded than you already seem to be (I'm mostly refering to the rape statement which is NOT OK in any way).

Harmata, it sounds like you want to start your own project. This project is about bringing as many mappers together as possible, from beginners to experts, and letting them make what they want. The focus is on each individual mapper's personality, not a megawad with a consistent theme and gameplay. It's a compilation. I'm glad so many people contributed and I think they did a good job.

Fuck you dannebubinga, you douchbag motherfucker, there's not a single fucking argument in your post, dumbfuck. If i'd decided to piss here you'd drowned in my piss, trust me faggot.

expecting some kind of difficulty curve or texture theme

Who was expecting that you shiteater, can you fucking quote the part of my post where i say the words "difficulty curve" or "texture theme"? Dumbfucked cunt, go fuck darkreaver in the ass, he seems to like that.

This project is about bringing as many mappers together as possible, from beginners to experts, and letting them make what they want. The focus is on each individual mapper's personality, not a megawad with a consistent theme and gameplay.

I could've picked random wads from idgames and then combine them in a megawad and it would be exactly the same thing as this project. You don't have to make a community project to "let them make what they want". Besides, you didn't even let them make what they want by forbidding the use of new textures and sprites. And don't give me this hipster personalities bullshit.

Phrase of the day - constructive criticism (unless you absolutely hated every single map you played)
Why don't you contribute something to this, I don't see anything wrong with a project which has a rather more relaxed approach, not every project should be scrutinised like wads such as cc4 and btsx would be. Just my two cents there.
As for comments on my map, congratulation on agreeing on my thoughts about the map. But it was the first map I made and for reasons which to some may seem stupid I thought I would keep it instead of making a new map. There's no point of being ashamed of a first attempt, you have and it got pretty badly burned, but I'm sure you would not have regretted making that map and have learnt from the mistakes made and gone on to bigger and better things.

Harmata said:

Fuck you dannebubinga, you douchbag motherfucker, there's not a single fucking argument in your post, dumbfuck. If i'd decided to piss here you'd drowned in my piss, trust me faggot.

I happen to think that pointing out that "Your masterpiece "Blood on marble" being light years more fucking crappy than many of the maps you just pissed on" is a pretty convincing argument.

Harmata said:

Fuck [/b]you dannebubinga, you douchbag motherfucker, there's not a single fucking argument in your post, dumbfuck. If i'd decided to piss here you'd drowned in my piss, trust me faggot.

Who was expecting that you shiteater, can you fucking quote the part of my post where i say the words "difficulty curve" or "texture theme"? Dumbfucked cunt, go fuck darkreaver in the ass he seems to like that

You don't like the maps, so you explode into one of the worst cases of tourettes I've ever seen? Seems to me like you're the 'dumbfuck'

As Baron said, Deal with it.

Why would i be ashamed of this:

A single-player blast through a spacious and linear marble castle. The linearity works to this map's favour, since it is always forcing you into the next engagement.

The architecture is clean and offers plenty of room to run about without banging into things. There are some nice areas of detail without getting bogged down - the author mentions this in the text file - the blood and marble theme is consistent, and the map culminates in a walkway across a canyon which you do not want to fall into! Visually it reminds of The Impaler's Labyrinth at the beginning, except a hundred times more attractive.

Another visual highlight is the very tall staircases. Make sure you're using mouselook. I always appreciate over-scaled maps. Imps hurl fireballs that seem dwarfed by the staircase; it's really quite pretty!

The fights can be fairly tough but are manageable on UV - the final canyon area is the nastiest with hitscanners popping up around you, so make sure you're healthy and well-stocked before stepping out there. Speaking of which, I found the health balance was well thought out, and there is usually too much ammo, so you can concentrate on blasting the nasties. Some people have reported instantly crushing sectors. I noticed one, a ceiling that rammed down instantly behind me as I entered a new area; I'm not sure how it could hit the player, but I was forewarned and kept moving all the time, expecting some game-ending event that never happened.

This map is definitely worth the download; it's all about enjoying a fast and exciting game of Doom.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doomworld-news/61936-the-newstuff-chronicles-420/
I wouldn't call this a "buuuurn". Besides, BonM wasn't my first Doom map, my first Doom map was the one where i was learning DB2 controls, and fun thing, i also put chainsaw in a secret in the first room. Have you ever seen that map? That's the joke.

constructive criticism

That's exactly what my post was, but i sure must admit that the "i want to find and rape the author" part was made under strong emotions. Sorry, author. Still, shooting something in a pitch dark room in Doom is as fun as in Doom 3. You can't see shit, and that specter was an overkill.

Harmata said:

Who was expecting that you shiteater, can you fucking quote the part of my post where i say the words "difficulty curve" or "texture theme"? Dumbfucked cunt, go fuck darkreaver in the ass, he seems to like that.

I could've picked random wads from idgames and then combine them in a megawad and it would be exactly the same thing as this project. You don't have to make a community project to "let them make what they want". Besides, you didn't even let them make what they want by forbidding the use of new textures and sprites. And don't give me this hipster personalities bullshit.

Wow, Harmata.

And I even agree that a community wad with no quality control is generally a bad idea. It typically means that any worthwhile maps are likely to be buried and forgotten in a wad that mostly isn't very good. (Disclaimer: I haven't played this wad; I'm speaking in a general sense based on past experience.)

But, um..

Wow, Harmata.

Yes-yes i know. But i had to show some kids who like to throw "retards" and "piss" around that they are not the only one who can shittalk. Papa Harmata knows some funky lyrics too.

ToD: I tried to whip something up for this the other week but the "usual" happened - I made a crappy small start area; couldn't work with the vanilla textures; got demotivated; went back to playing games. Shame. I like the idea for this project and the fact that anybody can throw something at it. I just can't make sp/coop maps. ;__;

Harmata said:

I wouldn't call this a "buuuurn". Besides, BonM wasn't my first Doom map, my first Doom map was the one where i was learning DB2 controls, and fun thing, i also put chainsaw in a secret in the first room. Have you ever seen that map? That's the joke.

Haha, I think I probably have placed zero secrets behind the start door after doing this map. Yes I know it makes absolutely no logical sense. Secrets in the first room are ok, even ID did that sometimes E1M4, but I agree behind the start door is stupid.
Fair enough about the newstuff review, I guess a lot of people didn't like the crusher :P

No seriously. Blood on marble is such a bad map I can't even describe it's lameness. This gives you no reason to come here and act know-it-all, like you're some kind of mapping god.

And it's pretty obvious that you expected some kind of difficulty curve when you complain like a little bitch about spiderdemons in the first map.

I'm not a "kid" for your information.

I guess a lot of people didn't like the crusher :P

Ah yes, the archive 0/5 comments. They are not the reason why i will not drop new maps there, the mod who removed my responses is. So not nice. I hope they will pull themselves together and implement functioning rates and comments, not this "comment-rate" crap. Until then, i'll keep my Doom and other maps on my new website that soon will be ready. Still, i'm glad i had that experience and also received a chance to say "Thank you!" to the developers of DB, Slade, Zdoom and its wiki in my txt.

This gives you no reason to come here and act know-it-all, like you're some kind of mapping god.

This is a big problem in modding community, some people think that there is some sort of competition between modders. I blame the society and gaming press, it always was blabbering about "super talented pro-gamers" and creating was Gods from developers. "Made by Spector, made by Romero, made by Tim Cain!". They've made it sound like a game is good because of special people, but the truth is, every designer works with something: models, textures, monsters, weapons, ammo/health/armor balance. Designer makes decisions based on something. If these decisions create atmospheric environments, charismatic characters, seamless flow, believable world or thought-out encounter then he made right decisions. You can test these decision by implementing them and changing them to see what will happen in the game, with the game. I've said that you can run past most of the monsters, which means that monsters are worthless? Go to that level, and see for yourself. Now block the entrance, what will you receive? A threat, a battle. Gameplay. Of course, always simply blocking the entrance is boring, but this is why you have to create such encounters that will not require blocked doors to force player to fight for his life. I've said that you can kill all monsters from safety? How can you know that i'm not lying? Go see for yourself. I just told what i saw and gave some advices, but the decision to ignore them or implement them is up to authors. But you can't ignore the fact that you can run past all of the monsters or the fact that those silly railings do nothing but block your view and call me a liar for pointing these out.

Played through it, unfortunately it didn't fill me with the same level of random unprovoked rage as Harmata.

Note: "My First Map.wad" means it generally has bare visuals, layout is mostly a bunch of hallway connected to each other, and it's a pretty short map.

Map 01: "My First Map.wad"

Map 02: Decent visuals, good use of transforming scenery and looping layout.

Map 03: Fell into an inescapable pit. I am the disappoint. Also, very "My First Map.wad"

Map 04: "My First Open E3M6 Style Map.wad" Also progression is a little wonky particularly the final backtrack to exit.

Map 05: Decent little techbase. The elevator out of the RK nukage is a little cramped but overall pretty okay.

Map 06: Map name says it all.

Map 07: Pretty "meh", the fact you only have 1 shot to get the backpack irritates me.

Map 08: I'll give it credit, it WAS a circle of imps.

Map 09: "My First Map.wad"

Map 10: Nice gimmick, poor execution

Map 11: Caught me off guard since the OP had this in it "IDEA Every single mapper who visits Doomworld makes one short-medium sized single player map for Doom2."... operative words being "short-medium sized single player map" Not a fan of the stringy layout and the fact that 90% of the map is just "Detailed box connected to hallway" but it had some interesting areas and was pretty decent overall.

Map 12: Liked the organic shapes and the room to move, again caught off guard by the lack of "short-medium sized single player map".

Map 13: Too boxy but liked the openness shared with the last map

Map 14: "My First Time Discovering Doom Furniture.wad" I'll admitted I chuckled at the Mancubi on treadmills and I did like the effort put into making the buildings crumbling and filling the street with rubble.

Map 15: Yup, this exists.

Map 16: "Ed's Bizarre Drug Trip Map.wad" Love it.

Map 17: "My First Map.wad"

Map 18: Decent little hell level.

Map 19: Decent techbase with some bizarre skybox cutoffs and random conveyor belts dead ending into the floor at odd angles.

Map 20: Not quite as bare visuals, layout is mostly a bunch of hallway connected to each other, and it's a pretty short map. So "My Second/Third Map.wad"?

Map 21: What the fuck am I playing!?

Map 22: Yup, this exists.

Map 23: 1997/98 style house map. I liked the Cacodemon playing SKY3 on the NES.

Map 24: A good Maximum Doom map.

Map 25: Pcorf map is pcorfy.

Map 26: Would have been better with the warped visuals of Map 16.

Map 27: Long straight line with only seven or so total textures used (four of which are DOORTRAK and the key textures) and gameplay consisting entirely of holding down the trigger until enemies are dead. I think the proper term for this would be "Fast Food Doom"

Map 28: Nice little hell map. Nice to see STUCCO get used, I think it gets neglected in Doom too much.

Map 29: Feels like a good TNT map.

Map 30: At least unlike 15 and 22 there are more than 2 sectors.

Map 31: Fun short little map.

Map 32: Symmetry and odd as hell detailing (I always though stone walls needed more DOORTRAK every 16 units)

Map 33: A good Maximum Doom map.

Map 34: Really liked the angles and overall shape of this map. The whole off-the-grid aspect created a bunch of slime trails and other oddities though.

Map 35: "My First Time Experimenting With Zdoom Features.wad"

Map 36: Title of the map says it all. Like most ToD Maps it does at least have some interesting concepts put in it, however.

Overall it was exactly what I would expect from a project with zero quality control. There were a couple of decent/good maps and quite a few duds. Still it's good to have new mappers release stuff so they can get constructive criticism.

I also went and played Blood on Marble. It was shit.

Well we made available a map with solid gameplay and visuals early on called Troll Fortress on purpose, because the rest of the maps were meant to troll you.