Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Nomad said:

So it's basically the circular saw launcher from Redneck Rampage?

Uhhh... You'll have to tell me, I've never seen or played Redneck Rampage :\

Later Somewhere Doomguy meets the Hampsterbus!

I thought I'll make a new palette. I thought I should start with simple colors first. It should help me decide what colors to use. I've kept the colors in it semi-close to the colors in the Doom palette.

Here's the previous level, and low res textures with this low color palette.. I think the textures fit better together in this.. Kind of makes me want to do this in this style.

Memfis said:

frickin awesome area from utopia.wad

franckFRAG said:

Yea, It's really nice architecture.

Are you guys serious? It's a total mess!

Antroid: I agree with the guys, that place is quite awesome. The reason is that the place is opened, and uses a lot of things that "comes from the sky" which always looks good.

Antroid said:

Are you guys serious? It's a total mess!

Of course it's a mess! Did you expect some zombie janitor to clean up the dead bodies?

Dunno, to me it seems like a bunch of random linedefs and sectors and unfitting textures hastily thrown together with no inspiration or imagination that come out looking really, really ugly and not thought out in the slightest.

Jimi said:

Later Somewhere Doomguy meets the Hampsterbus!

http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/lsdoom_hampsterbus.png

I thought I'll make a new palette. I thought I should start with simple colors first. It should help me decide what colors to use. I've kept the colors in it semi-close to the colors in the Doom palette.

Here's the previous level, and low res textures with this low color palette.. I think the textures fit better together in this.. Kind of makes me want to do this in this style.

http://media.moddb.com/images/games/1/20/19999/texture_test_002.jpg

Y'know, I've been dabbling with palette modification myself.

I was considering using a 6-8-5 breakdown of red, green and blue levels - that is, you have 6 levels of red (going up roughly 42.5 in value each level), 8 of green (going up 32) and 5 of blue (going up 51). More for green, because the eye's the most sensitive to changes in that channel, and less for blue, because that's the channel the eye's the least sensitive to changes in. This would create a 240-entry selection of colors that more or less approximates all possible color combinations, while leaving me 16 spare spots to handle grays (since multiples of 42.5, 32 and 51 don't line up much, meaning that I'd otherwise be using a lot of nearly-gray blues and yellows to approximate an actual gray).

I haven't actually tried using that palette in-game to any length, though; kinda curious as to how well, or poorly, it'd work. Obviously it'd absolutely wreck existing art assets designed for other palettes; I'm more interested in how it'd work for art assets explicitly designed with that palette in mind (or at least how it'd work if I took all the assets from an IWAD, converted them to true color PNG, and then tried them out in ZDoom with the new palette). Just trying out converting truecolor images to the palette in Photoshop, though, it looks pretty decent.

Translations would be a bit of a bitch, though, which is definitely a strength of the traditional "choose a color and do multiple shades of it" approach most games use.

Well, this is the playpal I made today. Spent many hours on it... uhh..

Now that I think of it, maybe I shouldn't try to do it all at once. Maybe better would be to just think of a color when I make a new texture, then put that color into the palette. Finally when I've made some 12 to 16 textures with different colors... I have also made the palette.

Super special christmas post!

For those interested, here is one screenshot from every map I have made for Revelations of Doom, in the order I made the maps. So the first shot is the oldest. Some of the maps are going to be axed though, and I didnt include any of the maps I`ve collaborated on, which are..3 or so maps. The red and blue skies are subject to change.

Holy shit darkreaver, that looks so freakin cool, especially that cave one with the green torches!
Seriously lookin forward to playing that. Also that does look fun Okuplok!

Great shots darkreaver
Haha, nice Okuplok, that is certain a more fun way of playing doom in comparison to a computer/laptop screen

darkreaver said:

PICTURES

Haha darkreaver, I can't help but sense some Darkwave0000-ish vibes going on in some pictures there ;P. Totally nice stuff :)

Awesome stuff darkreaver! Lots of good looking levels.

Okuplok: that looks kinda like a christmas postcard...

BloodyAcid: maybe you could add some blood or acid there for color :P or something else. Geometry looks nice.

--

I've made some more lowres/color textures. These are all in that palette I made earlier, feels a bit like there's some colors missing and too many some other colors. And maybe the player 1 color area should be set up a bit differently. Anyway feels like I'm going to do this like this. Should probably change the model textures too.

I'm really liking the look of that, Jimi. I'd like to say I'm getting a Quake 1 vibe from it, or maybe a Unreal tournament vibe... I don't know.

Regardless, it stands well on its own, even if it isn't an homage to something classic. Can't wait to play it!

BloodyAcid: I agree with Jimi that it could use some visual drama, but it still looks great.
Okuplok: Postcard indeed. Wish I were there. :P

Okuplok said:

100"+ inch doom is most good :)

Haha I'm jealous.