Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang

21st December, do you believe about the Apocalypse?

Shit, it isn't even 10:00 in L.A. Be patient, guys, because there's only 140 minutes until destruction.

Welp, it's the 21st in GMT. The only extraordinary thing I awoke to discover was that the rain had finally relented.

Happy New B'ak'tun Everyone! I don't know what the hell we're supposed to do to celebrate it... so let's all dress up like penguins and engage in interpretive dance aerobics!

IT'S RAINING CACODEMONS!!!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
?
?
?
?
?
?
Hang on a minute - they're tomatoes! Some prankster's up on the roof dropping tomatoes past my window!

<grabs shotgun and storms off to to fire a couple of warning shots at their kneecaps>

DoomUK said:

Welp, it's the 21st in GMT. The only extraordinary thing I awoke to discover was that the rain had finally relented.

And in it's wake, I am faced with a flooded duck pond. I say flooded, I actually just mean it's at a much higher level than usual and could, with a bit more rain, possibly break its banks. If that is the actual definition of the word "apocalypse", then it turns out that I am a massive fucking idiot for being so sceptical about it's happening.

Today, the world ended. And nobody noticed, so we just went on about our business as usual.

Should have thought the world wouldn't have ended yet. Got a job centre interview, couldn't miss my half an hour of being constantly patronised :P

I've given the Apocalypse a generous 12 extra hours to annihilate everything and the lazy bastard still hasn't had the decency to even arrive. And that gas bill is only getting closer.

BaronOfStuff said:

Bah! That's Galactus, not Apocalypse.

Not knowing of Galactus, I thought of this guy instead

It's not that far off, to be honest.

fraggle said:

The original idea comes from Terence McKenna's drug-fueled idea of "novelty theory", which is a load of incoherent pseudoscientific nonsense. He later discovered that his "predicted" date roughly lined up the ancient Mayan calendar and decided to incorporate it into his story. Aside from "novelty theory", McKenna is most well-known for inventing the term "Self-transforming machine elves", beings resembling "self dribbling basket balls" supposedly encountered when tripping on DMT.

I kind of get the impression that I'm reading the premise for a dreamscape sequence in a children's tv show when I read the description about "self-transforming machine elves" in the linked article. It's somewhat humorous in that regard.

On the subject of the doomsday itself, something I want to do at some point (unless someone else already has) is make a database from A Brief History of the Apocalypse and then create a little applet where you can enter a range of dates (representing someone's lifespan) or your birthdate and automatically count how many predicted doomsdays you've survived. It would probably be interesting, just to see how many of these predictions get made in one's lifespan.

Huh,

So I spent $20 million on an underground bunker complete with a laboratory for nothing.

Along with $5 million on food and another $500K in weaponry?

So this whole time 2012 was fake? But the movie was so real, I kept calling John Cusack but there wasn't an answer.

I've spent the day locusting my way through a fridge full of beer. As good a way to celebrate the long-foreseen non-apocalypse as any.

Oh yeah, happy new b'ak'tun everybody... it's finally 13.0.0.0.0!

fraggle said:
The 2012 theories originate with a hippy named Terence McKenna.

I was wondering who suggested this. I mean, his novelty idea is associated with 2012, but it's something about everyone suddenly being like high (much like he was all the time, apparently) and ignoring physical laws or whatever, not a painful apocalyptic end. If anything, I just get the impression saying it was McKenna who started it is rhetoric to make fun of the whole deal in a more amusing way. "It's all the idea of a machine-elf-ball junkie". From what I read in the Wikipedia, McKenna took the Mayan calendar date from another new age writer, in any case.

My theory is that these ideas stem from the mood of the times. Beyond that, people just use different sources to try to make it sound real, whether it's the Mayan calendar, the poles shifting, or a new World War, much like when Hitler used an eclectic plethora of historical and philosophical sources to back his crap in Mein Kampf. I doubt we would have seen that much of an apocalyptic 2012/12/21 fad without golbal warming effects, Middle East tensions, the euro zone debt crisis and the fiscal cliff in the US, that is.

InsanityBringer said:
I kind of get the impression that I'm reading the premise for a dreamscape sequence in a children's tv show when I read the description about "self-transforming machine elves" in the linked article. It's somewhat humorous in that regard.

Try reading R. H. Barlow's A Dim Remembered Story. Not only is it an enchanting and well-written story (it's weird fiction) but the final part has entities that are similar to these machine-elves and much of what happens is not unlike other ideas McKenna wrote about. That makes me wonder whether Barlow used hallucinogenic drugs at that time. (He did kill himself with drugs years later, but it was barbiturates.) The story is certainly not influenced by this McKenna guy because it was written in 1936.