Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shoober

Compatibility Options

I'm trying to play Doom as if it were being played on DOSBox, but with upscaled graphics and mouselook. What settings should I turn on and off under the compatibility options to emulate how the game would play under DOSBox.

Also, I'm trying to play Doom with all the bugs intact from here (except the bugs fixed in v1.9). What bugs did the Eternity engine fix from that wiki page?

shoober said:

I'm trying to play Doom as if it were being played on DOSBox, but with upscaled graphics and mouselook. What settings should I turn on and off under the compatibility options to emulate how the game would play under DOSBox.

Also, I'm trying to play Doom with all the bugs intact from here (except the bugs fixed in v1.9). What bugs did the Eternity engine fix from that wiki page?

It's not quite possible for EE to be *that* compatible; fixes for some of those problems which simply crashed the game in vanilla regardless are not optional. For that level of fidelity, only Chocolate Doom will work (and even it cannot emulate some of those problems perfectly because they rely on the behavior of running under unemulated MS-DOS).

You'd want to set all options on the compatibility menu to YES/ON. Additionally, ensure you disable any advanced input features such as mlook or jumping. Set all monster options for enhanced AI to OFF/NO. This will give an experience very close to using the Doom-Plus executable; ie., vanilla DOOM with the limits removed.

If you want insane accuracy, turn off translucency, set the screen resolution to 320x200, turn down the number of sound channels to 8, turn off the automap coordinates and timer widgets, and set r_vissprite_limit to (I think) 64. It's probably possible to go even further than that if you really insist.

Okay, I have enabled all the settings under compatibility options (they all say yes). What about for the enemy options. I see things like "monsters remember target", "monsters back out", "monsters avoid hazards". and so on. I have "monster infighting" ON because if I remember correctly, the monsters are supposed to fight each other if they are shot. What should I set all the options under the enemy settings if I want to emulate Doom v1.9 behavior?

Turn infighting on, and the rest of the monster settings off.

Also: start the game with the -vanilla command-line parameter! Note that you also have to -warp to a level for it to work (just like in vanilla Doom)!

Okay, all the monsters options are off except for "Monster Infighting" which is turned on. I also have all my settings under compatibility turned on. I think I'm almost done.

What exactly does the -vanilla command-line options change? I do have mouselook turned on and auto aim turned off. Would the -vanilla option change that? I'm basically trying to set Doom up to be like DOSBox with mouselook and upscaled graphics (I play at 2048x1536). Doom looks awesome when its upscaled.

I tried Chocolate Doom and I wasn't to happy with it. It has no mouselook, the graphics are VERY blurry from far away (even when set to 2048x1536), and it seems vanilla doom has a bug that save games won't work if you're playing Ultra-Violence with the -fast command-line parameter (that's how I'm playing Doom). So the Eternity Engine has the perfect mix of bug fixes and staying true to how the game originally behaved, along with better graphics and mouselook. What a dream come true.

-vanilla was designed to let you record demos in Eternity that are compatible with basic Doom. It therefore makes the game act as such. You might not be able to look up or down, but I didn't test it much. I think it doesn't require you to record demos for it to activate.

Alright, I'm using the -vanilla command-line parameter. It still lets me use mouselook and auto aim is still off. I disabled translucency also. Is there anything else I need to change?

shoober said:

Alright, I'm using the -vanilla command-line parameter. It still lets me use mouselook and auto aim is still off. I disabled translucency also. Is there anything else I need to change?

Again, make sure you used it along with something like "-warp 1" (or "-warp 1 1" for Doom 1), otherwise it has no effect.

Oops, I didn't do the the -warp command-line parameter. Well, it actually does disable mouselook and probably enables auto aim. So I just went into mouse settings and re-enabled it. Does -vanilla change anything related to monster behavior or compatibility options? What exactly does the -vanilla command-line parameter change?

EDIT: When I use the -vanilla command-line parameter, I can re-enable mouselook but my bullets will still go in the middle of the screen. My bullets won't go up or down unless I'm aiming at an enemy above or below me. This is how Doom is without mouselook so I'm not going to use -vanilla.