Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project - /idgames link is up

j4rio said:

I happen to think that pointing out that "Your masterpiece "Blood on marble" being light years more fucking crappy than many of the maps you just pissed on" is a pretty convincing argument.

this suggests people can't assess quality without being better mappers than the author. if i say these maps are mostly decaying piles of poop, will you call me out on my mapping as well?

dew said:

if i say these maps are mostly decaying piles of poop, will you call me out on my mapping as well?

No, we'll just call you a decaying pile of poop. :)
Btw, why didn't you submit something dew? I even name-dropped you in the OP!

dew said:

this suggests people can't assess quality without being better mappers than the author. if i say these maps are mostly decaying piles of poop, will you call me out on my mapping as well?

Sometimes a crappy attitude deserves crappy retorts. Let's just say this was one of the cases.

TimeOfDeath said:

Btw, why didn't you submit something dew? I even name-dropped you in the OP!

my mapping skills would drag this project much lower than it deserves. have you ever seen a bear dance in a circus? that's me mapping. i can do the waltz, but i'll maul several thousand puppies by mistake in the process.

gggmork said:

A map like that would be perfect for this project.

He's right you know.

BTW is my map any good?

Obsidian said:

BTW is my map any good?

I just played it and like it. Interesting stuff/detail compressed into a small area/ fun minimap. I couldn't figure out how to shoot the imp switch without zdoom mouse aiming though.

gggmork said:

I just played it and like it. Interesting stuff/detail compressed into a small area/ fun minimap. I couldn't figure out how to shoot the imp switch without zdoom mouse aiming though.

I thought that might confuse some players. I hid a barrel behind the switch, therefore using the player's autoaim to aim towards the switch: you can usually get it if you use the shotgun to shoot the switch.

dew said:

have you ever seen a bear dance in a circus? that's me mapping. i can do the waltz, but i'll maul several thousand puppies by mistake in the process.

I'm going to start using this analogy as much as humanly possible

MAP16. What a map! ... Goodness me. Doom on drugs for sure!

MAP25: Memang was named after a cat. The Inmost Dens-like area at the end was from an unfinished level from 7-8 years ago, the rest was put together really quickly. Had fun ripping it up quickly. Maybe I'll make a speedmap megawad (32 levels in 3 months)

Not going to be able to get my level finished before 2013. I mean, I could finish it, but I'd rather spend time working on it than rushing to get it submitted. Good luck compiling

I played through the first 10 vanilla maps, so here are some quick thoughts about what I saw:

01: Bean, by cannonball
Its nice campy fun! I found the engagements to be
varied and mixed which I quite liked. Although the
visuals and layout were bit more on the underdeveloped
side, the game play more then makes up for it. Having to
fight a Spider Demon at the end though was no fun!

02: Daemonum Malum, by DooMAD
Great use of brown texturing and the architecture isn't
half shabby either. I especially loved how effectively
the space is used in this level! Challenges were plenty
and fun! The only major problem I experienced
throughout were stuck monsters. Other then that I
congratulate the author on a job well done.

03: GRBmaporgy1, by General Rainbow Bacon
Short and sweet is what best describes this level. Visuals sparse, the challenges are easy, and its over before you know it. Decent level overall!

04: Blood Lake, by glenzinho
Seems to stop after the yellow key door area. Broken maybe? From what I played its a bit underdeveloped but I was enjoying the wide open spaces and the challenge at the beginning.

05: Nukage Corridors, by Katamori
Another short and sweet map that provides just the right dosage of fun. Don't really have any complaints for this one other than that there really are no highlight moments to point out.

06: Feel the Pain, by MagnificentBeard
Excuse me as I laugh out loud to myself...Thank you. Yeah, this one is quite unique to say the least. Best way to describe it is an obstacle course. Starts off easily enough, but it slowly escalates in difficulty as your forced to push your way through more and more enemies. Kootos to author!

07: Water HQ, by omegamer
Its obvious to see Underhalls inspired the creation of this map. That being said, it stands alone well enough with many fun challenges to be had. Loved the layout and visuals!

08: Circle of Imps, by Radromitry
Well its really more of a 1/4 circle of imps...

09: dltexamp, by scorpion
Its short, its sweet, and megaly awesome! Loved how the level just circles in on itself.

10: Mirror, by Scypek2
Seems to be broken around the red key area. Layout is cramped and confusing with doors leading out every which way. Needs some work.

fiend-o-hell said:

04: Blood Lake, by glenzinho
Seems to stop after the yellow key door area. Broken maybe? From what I played its a bit underdeveloped but I was enjoying the wide open spaces and the challenge at the beginning.

It´s not broken. Something opens up when you press it. Thanks for the feedback! :)

BaronOfStuff said:

If you can make something in the space of a day, go ahead.

Sure! I'm on it.

I get the following message when picking up the shotgun:

P_STARTSCRIPT: UNKNOWN SCRIPT 1

It's because the shotgun is supposed to execute script #1,which doesn't exist.

I'll compile Version B tonight and upload. Sorry for the delay, I spent a week to start and finish writing the guitar for my new death metal album.

sector666's map works with zdoom 260.

BUT, after I added it to the compilation as map39, the script doesn't execute. Does anyone know why?

just hazy guesses:
noticed its udmf or whatever format instead of 'zdoom doom in hexen'.
Dragged dropped in zdoom 2.5, scripts didn't work.
Opened in doombuilder2, it complained about a named script, so changed it to a number:
script 1 (void) //1
and the script worked in 2.5..

If everything works but the exit for you, it might be this at the end of the script:
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Exit_Normal
I remember in claustrophobia 1024 that maps 33+ had weird exit problems, but that was boom.

Basically I don't know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the info.

After I changed the map# to 39, the monsters didn't start teleporting when I picked up the shotgun and there was no "script error" message either. My doom builder doesn't have UDMF format (I still use 1.68).