Anarkavre

It is our solemn duty to make posterity do this

Anarkavre said:

http://imgur.com/n9rlj

Enjay said:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/Enjay001/Images/coop.jpg

Awww.

uncle i want to play halo 4 - i said: you should beat doom first

This. It'd be quite amusing to see how many ppl would actually get to play Halo 4 (or any MMS/SGWW game) if they had to beat Doom first.

Enjay said:

I took this picture of my kids many years ago...

That was a long time ago, before PC manufacturers decided black was the new beige.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

This. It'd be quite amusing to see how many ppl would actually get to play Halo 4 (or any MMS/SGWW game) if they had to beat Doom first.

I wonder the opposite. Been playing through Halo 4 on legendary. Doom on UV is easier.

Yea Halo in the upper skill levels isn't exactly easy. Skill 4 is much easier than Legendary in Halo 3 at least

GreyGhost said:

That was a long time ago, before PC manufacturers decided black was the new beige.

Damn I love beige computers. Miss those fuckers like I miss the library copy of Dark Forces I always played and eventually shot to hell at a YMCA computer.

And then I read the Reddit comments about the Uncle being worse than Hitler for forcing his nephew to play a shitty dinosaur game.

Meanwhile all these fags are probably wearing a Mario 3 t-shirt "un-ironically."

Left handed mousing! That's what I noticed first... I tried it a few times, so weird, got through Q2.

Well, if I ever get kids, I'll make them play Doom..

Jimi said:

Left handed mousing! That's what I noticed first...

Funny thing is, he's not left handed. I am, however, and he used my computer so often that he is equally happy using a left or right anded mouse these days.

Enjay said:

Funny thing is, he's not left handed. I am, however, and he used my computer so often that he is equally happy using a left or right handed mouse these days.

Funny thing is, I'm right-handed for the 'usual' things, such as writing, brushing teeth, playing guitar, and DooM editing. However, I play DooM (and other computer games) with a left-handed mouse. I also sight (e.g., rifles) with my left eye, and play drums as a left-hander (i.e., bass drum pedal on left foot, high-hat pedal on right foot). Go figure.

Back on topic, if you want to get them young, teach them how to edit for DooM (scroll down to bottom of page).

Enjay said:

Funny thing is, he's not left handed. I am, however, and he used my computer so often that he is equally happy using a left or right anded mouse these days.

An ambidextrous Doomer eh? Probably not too many that I can think of. Is it just for mice or can he dual-operate/hold other things as well?

ReX said:

Back on topic, if you want to get them young, teach them how to edit for DooM (scroll down to bottom of page).

Done ;-)

This reminds me. I said I'd compile and release his '6 year old' maps now that he's tunrned seven.

This is a good place to mention that if you ever see anyone on ZDaemon acting like a lunatic under my name it's a good chance it's Dylan playing. He likes co-op but occasionally has a go at FFA.

Platinum Shell said:

An ambidextrous Doomer eh? Probably not too many that I can think of. Is it just for mice or can he dual-operate/hold other things as well?

No, he is fully right handed. It's just that he spent so much time on my computer that the side of the mouse doesn't seem to bother him much.

Although I consider myself to be left-handed, I am actually reasonably ambidextrous with a bias towards fine motor control tasks (eg mouse, writing etc) being better with my left hand and a slight bias towards strength based tasks being right handed. I have no "sidedness" for tasks in the middle (eg using a screwdriver, paintbrush) and can happily do them with whichever hand is the most convenient. And believe me, that can be very convenient at times (eg when working in a small space).

As far as mouse use goes, I definitely favour the left hand. I can use a mouse right handed (I don't usually bother reversing the ones at work) but for tasks where speed and/or accuracy is required, there is definitely a difference. The best example I have is that I was deathmatching in UT with my son and he was wiping the floor with me (we are normally reasonably well matched with me usually have a slight edge). I was using the mouse in my right hand. I didn't feel that I was doing anything particularly clumsily but I just kept losing. So, I switched the mouse around and, again, although it didn't feel that much different, I started winning. Unfortunately, I'm carrying a long term arm injury ATM and it has forced me to use my right hand on the mouse. I do notice that, sometimes, my mouse clicks and accuracy when using a paint program or something is not quite as it should be and I am having to Doom on an easier setting than normal too. :/

purist said:

6 eh? That beats my son who was 12 when he released his first map.

Ha, just to make you guys feel old, I was 6 when I'd made my first "map". Of course, it was an unplayable mess and I didn't properly release anything until I was 15, but still...

As for the mouse-hand discussion: I use my mouse left-handed at work to cut down on the risk of RSI, as I'm normally right-handed. I'm pretty good with my left, but I'd not want to try graphics editing, Doom mapping or any of the other more precise stuff with it.

hellothere231 said:

Yes. Do this. Stop Call of Duty and Halo plaguing the minds of young gamers. Let them play DOOM 1 and 2. You both get 10 internets.

Thank you for the 10 internets, but I cannot take credit. My friend at work reads reddit and found the picture. He sent me the picture because he knows I love Doom. I shared with the forums because it was epic lulz.