Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Okuplok

ghost/clipping monsters

so i'm making a long slaughter map for boom, and when i go to test the map some monsters appear to clip through walls and stuff. is it because the layout is too big? i've tried using different node builders that come with db2 and had no luck. :(

i'm kinda noob at this stuff so any help will be appreciated :D

link to map: http://okuplok.webs.com/oku2v3bug.wad

oh my... this map is lagging as hell... unfortunatly the map is too big to be handled properly by DB2's nodebuilders, i always do large maps and this error also appeared to me. i think that there are nodebuilders that can hanle larger levels (see mindfuck.wad as example) but unfortunatly i don't know how are named.

you may consider to reduce the wasted space bethween the various sections, there is the answer i received when i asked about the same thing:

GreyGhost said:

It looks like your maps monumental proportions are the culprit, try shortening it to under 32768 map points end-to-end.

i did it and it magically worked.

Yah, feels like a blockmap limit maybe. I recall a TOD map that was purposefully huge to demonstrate the same sort of wall-clipping. I'd be interested in hearing about the nodebuilders that get around that somehow though.

on a side note, any intentions of demoing this once it's finished? I'd practically pay to see that.

Okuplok said:

is it because the layout is too big?

It is, but if you can re-arrange the map layout so it's all inside the circle you should be fine.

(1920x1200 - 710k)

I'm under the impression you can have clipping issues if any two points are more than 32k apart.

GreyGhost said:

I'm under the impression you can have clipping issues if any two points are more than 32k apart.

This is a Boom map. It is fortunately unplayable in ZDoom, thus we don't need to consider its issues.
I'm under the impression that most common cause of clipping issues is blockmap failure, which occurs when map doesn't fit in a 2^15 * 2^15 square (with sides going in cardinal directions, of course).

Having points are more than 32k apart is necessary for telescratching - but if two objects do not see each other it still shouldn't occur. It's 32k in Doom P_AproxDistance metric, BTW (I think).

I may well be wrong here.

tempun said:

This is a Boom map. It is fortunately unplayable in ZDoom, thus we don't need to consider its issues.

Heh.

I played through the map in ZDoom and did not see any monster noclipping anywhere.

For reference, though, the 32k max distance thing translates to a square of about 23k x 23k, not a square of about 32k x 32k. For an explanation of the reason why, please ask Pythagoras about diagonals.

The last known blockmap bug was discovered somewhat recently by Maes and fixed by him and entryway; ports where it is fixed include Mocha Doom, PrBoom+, and ZDoom. It is definitely not fixed in good old DOS Boom 2.02, or even in the plusless PrBoom.

Gez said:

Heh.

I played through the map in ZDoom and did not see any monster noclipping anywhere.

For reference, though, the 32k max distance thing translates to a square of about 23k x 23k, not a square of about 32k x 32k. For an explanation of the reason why, please ask Pythagoras about diagonals.

The last known blockmap bug was discovered somewhat recently by Maes and fixed by him and entryway; ports where it is fixed include Mocha Doom, PrBoom+, and ZDoom. It is definitely not fixed in good old DOS Boom 2.02, or even in the plusless PrBoom.

Nor in EE so far. Where can I look to find the fix? :P

Quasar said:

Here is where it all started ;-)

Though it might be more useful to see how it's implemented in prBoom+ and Mocha by browsing the repos. Some keywords to look for: GetSafeBlockX, GetSafeBlockY, bmaporgx, bmaporgy.

thanks for the help guys! :)

i did what GreyGhost suggested and it seems to be working now

Ribbiks said:

on a side note, any intentions of demoing this once it's finished? I'd practically pay to see that.

heh i dunno, i've only tested it with saves for now and it still kicked my ass :P

par time 5 hours :D

You could divide it later into chunks and add them to final wad along with the whole thing holyhellesque/deusvultish way, as it would make demoing somewhat more convenient, maybe even playing on slower pcs.

Quasar said:

Maes said:

Here is where it all started ;-)

Though it might be more useful to see how it's implemented in prBoom+ and Mocha by browsing the repos. Some keywords to look for: GetSafeBlockX, GetSafeBlockY, bmaporgx, bmaporgy.

r4157 seems to be the one

AlexMax's repo clone collection is coming in handy already