Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Super Jamie

HOWTO: Doom Builder 1 and 2 on Linux

== Status ==

- Doom Builder 1
Works almost perfectly. 3D Things browser doesn't work. Your mouse cursor will sometimes disappear in 3D mode. You can work around this by making sure Things Mode is on (press "t" key) and having a Thing in view at all times. I usually populate my maps with a Thing I'm not otherwise using during development, then delete them all for distribution. It is stable enough to use as your sole/primary mapper.

- Doom Builder 2
Sorta works. It throws some errors on start and minimize which can be ignored. The File/Edit/etc bar doesn't draw but the items are still clickable. The 2D editor works but alot of items don't draw properly like Things or linedef lengths. I imagine it will be useful only for drawing hexagonal floor flats. 3D mode has graphical glitches but is functional. I have not tested for long-term stability.

I will try to keep these up to date for the latest version of Wine on Fedora. I am also the app maintainer for Doom Builder on Wine AppDB.

== Doom Builder 1 on Wine 1.4 ==

- Install the 32-bit version of Wine. On Fedora 16 this is yum install wine.i686
- Manually install Wine Gecko 1.4 x86 with wine start wine_gecko-1.4-x86.msi
- Get winetricks
- Run winetricks vb5run
- Run winetricks wsh57
- Open winecfg, on the Libraries tab, set oleaut32 and olepro32 to Native then Builtin
- Run Doom Builder 1.68 installer
- Edit ~/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs/Doom Builder/Doom Builder.desktop and change the Exec line:

# Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine" wine C:\\\\windows\\\\command\\\\start.exe /Unix /home/username/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/Public/Start\\ Menu/Programs/Doom\\ Builder/Doom\\ Builder.lnk
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Doom Builder\Builder.exe"

== Doom Builder 2 on Wine 1.3.36 ==

- Install the 32-bit version of Wine. On Fedora 16 this is yum install wine.i686
- Get winetricks
- Manually install Wine Gecko 1.4 x86
- winetricks dotnet20
- Run Doom Builder 2.1.1.1466 installer
- Edit ~/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs/Doom Builder 2/Doom Builder.desktop and change the Exec line:

# Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine" wine C:\\\\windows\\\\command\\\\start.exe /Unix /home/username/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/Public/Start\\ Menu/Programs/Doom\\ Builder\\ 2/Doom\\ Builder.lnk
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/username/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Doom Builder 2\Builder.exe"

== Make a wine registry key for Mouse Warp Override so you can keep spinning in 3D mode ==

- Make a file called db.reg containing:

REGEDIT4
[\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\AppDefaults\Builder.exe\DirectInput]
"MouseWarpOverride"="force"

- Run wine regedit db.reg

== Nodebuilder ==

- Don't forget to update ZDBSP if you use it as your Nodebuilder, Doom Builder 1 ships with an outdated version of this. The version of ZenNode that ships with DB1 is still current.

== Sources ==

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=12249 - DB1 on Wine AppDb
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=12221 - DB2 on Wine AppDb

http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=14487 - DB1 Thread on Wine-Forums
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1603263 - Mouse Warp Override

This should be stickied, I have to try out the DoomBuilder 2 install with Wine, how well does the 3D mode work on Linux with Doom Builder 2?

Not very. The cursor is a block of blue as the transparency of the + doesn't work. Things don't appear, no doubt there are plenty of other glitches. I didn't test any of the flat/thing browsers.

Really I wouldn't consider DB2 to be at the stage where it's useable for anything except tracing around hexagonal floor tiles.

Good tutorial! This should have been on the DB forums, but this is OK, I'll make a topic which links here.
EDIT: I see you already posted links there, nice.

Wine 1.4 was released recently.

DB1 continues to work perfectly, I've updated the first post and AppDb page. Doom Builder 1.68 is now a Gold-rated Wine app!

DB2 now draws the File/Edit/etc menu but loading a map is oddly broken. I'll pursue this on Wine-Forums.

Thanks, Super Jamie! Builder1 runs like a wild turbocharged Demon for me!

I wonder if I can get this setup to work on Macintosh too; I've seen 'wine on Mac' tutorials.

Great, I'll bear this in mind when I fix up my Linux machine. I vote that this should be stickied as well.

Doom Builder via Wine works on Mac OS X too, though a tad slow compared to the real thing (especially 3D mode). I wonder if it's faster or slower than running it via Windows virtual machine.

Sometimes 3d mode view direction gets stuck to some angle barriers. Apparently it's happening because the mouse escapes the viewport.

I'm starting to like Eureka more and more though.