Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HumanBones

Odamex Saturday Nitro #72 - Double Impact Coop

It's the first Nitro of the new year, and we're kicking it off with a new classic in Double Impact. Yes, it has won a Cacoward, but in my opinion it is still very underplayed across the multiplayer landscape, so let's give it some much-deserved playtime. I think we'll go with some sort of a combination of doubled monster health/damage. Either way we'll try to offset the fact that so many people playing 9 maps would cause this one to be over rather quickly for a Nitro.

WAD: dbimpact
Maps: 09
Skill: Ultra Violence
Players: 2 servers of 12
Server: [IDL Chicago]
Date: Saturday, January 5th, 2013 @ 8pm EDT

Download Odamex 0.6.2 to play with us. Join the Odamex Steam Group for easy updates and announcements.

HumanBones said:

I think we'll go with some sort of a combination of doubled monster health/damage.

Is that a new feature with this version of Odamex? Monsters can have their health doubled?

40oz said:

Is that a new feature with this version of Odamex? Monsters can have their health doubled?

Yup, new for 0.6.2! Server admins can also change how much damage monster attacks do as well.

I think doubling monster health is a rather annoying way to make the game longer. It doesn't really make most of the fights more challenging, just 2 times more tedious. Doubling damage or enabling fastmonsters are way better choices.

Memfis said:

I think doubling monster health is a rather annoying way to make the game longer. It doesn't really make most of the fights more challenging, just 2 times more tedious. Doubling damage or enabling fastmonsters are way better choices.

Yeah, I had not quite decided yet what to do about that when I made the post. I haven't played much coop lately so I'll take your word for it, I'm sure you know better than I do!

double monster health is indeed just annoying. using the shotgun vs the shotgunners would become extremely risky (especially with double damage on) and the baron horde at the end of m7 would become immortal. fast monsters would probably be even worse, considering the amount of hitscanners everywhere.

double damage and item respawn should accomodate even for larger numbers of players.

I've tried doubling monsters health with a dehacked patch and I assumed it would make the game feel tougher, but all it did was make the weapons feel worthless, which was not the feeling I was going for.

Don't forget respawning monsters can be a lot of fun with enough players. That could cause problems with E1M8 though.

40oz said:

I assumed it would make the game feel tougher, but all it did was make the weapons feel worthless, which was not the feeling I was going for.

this should be cast into stone, heh. double monster health just kills the doom feel.

That lift on m7 that we all got stuck at was actually made of single-use linedefs, although there were two of them (linedefs 1461, 1468)