Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ezxariarch

How do i make Deep water effect

I did the "negative" sector tag as the Doom Legacy site suggested for the translucent deep water effect...But appearently it doesn't work. Heres wut i did..

Sector: Light=200, Ceiling=128, Floor=16, Sector Tag=-64

and nothing happened. =(

I tried to do a deep water effect with out doom legacy and didnt work either.

Sector: Light=200 Ceiling=256 Floor=-20
Dummy sector: light=199 ceiling=256 floor=0 (fwater1 flat)

and nothing happened. >=(

(oh, can some one explain it in SIMPLE terms cuz im very new in making levels)

Uh, I'll cut+paste this from the thread below this one:

This works with any Boom-compatible engine (I think Legacy has Boom support, right?) Anyways:

I'm assuming you want a scene like this, where the above view of the pool would look like this, and the below view of the pool would look like this.

Take a look at this screenshot in Deep of a dummy sector which is tagged to some deep-nukage sectors. The line highlighted yellow is the tag line and the tagged sectors are highlighted red. Now these are the tagline properties. Apparently Photoshop in all it's advanced technical glory doesn't have an oval tool like MS Paint, but note the bottom texture of the dummy line. If you want to color the under-liquid portion of the sector, there's GRNMAP, BLUMAP, YELMAP and REDMAP "textures" available by default (and presumably you can add your own color maps through use of a mapping program like InkWorks, but we won't go into that now). Pick whichever colormap you want and place it on the bottom slot of that tagline like in the 4th picture, and you'll get the same effect as the in-game screenshots above.

I dont think Legacy has any support at all. It wuz the first Doom Port that i used and wus simple so i used it as a base for editing (all my TCs are Doom Legacy based). Ok, since i cant get legacy to support doom i'll use zdoom (i can run any BOOM stuff with it rite?). Um is there a zdoom utility for WinDEU...or do i have to use Wad author?? =(

But thanx for the help...btw..how did u get Doom Millenium???? I wanted to get dat be it wont be out until october or sumthing... =(

I dont think Legacy has any support at all.

I thought I heard they put in Boom support, but I checked their homepage and didn't see anything about it. They did have the tutorial WAD on how to use their Deep Water, so download that and look at it if you haven't already.

i'll use zdoom (i can run any BOOM stuff with it rite?).

You can use ZDoom but it's probably best to just make it Boom-compatible, because then more people will be willing to play your game. Of course, almost everybody has ZDoom so requiring it really isn't a problem. I'd suggest that if you use ZDoom, try and use most of it's features; requiring ZDoom simply for one or two uses of it's features in a map is kind of a waste of the port.

Um is there a zdoom utility for WinDEU...or do i have to use Wad author?? =(

I have no idea, I never use ZDoom for anything. I haven't even learned all of Boom yet. I probably never will. I like plain old maps the most.

btw..how did u get Doom Millenium????

Look who posted the last update.

Yes, the way you did it does work in Legacy. It has Boom support. I'm not totally sure how complete it is, but I've yet to try a Boom linedef type that didn't work.

I i made a Colormap thing with Boom and ran it in 1.30 Legacy and it instanty went "Unknow Lump-Yelmap". And the Doom Legacy with the negative sector tags doesn't work on my computer for sum reason then. Do i have to upgrade Doom to make it work (cuz i just reinstalled it, Version 1.666).

but i managed to get a cheap water effect. NOT PUTTING ANY LOWER TEXTURES ON THE WALL AND MAKE THE FLOOR A LIQUIDY FLAT....CHEAP BUT IS PRETTY GOOD FOR ONE PLAYER. but is still looks fake cuz the player/or any object doesn't look like they are INSIDE the water....just kinduff floating on top with low height....

Can SOME ONE SEND MEEH A DEMO LEVEL WITH DOOM LEGACY WATER??? I think the Twilight Warrior TC has a level with it I think....

THANX A LOT FOR DA HELP... =)

Apparently Photoshop in all it's advanced technical glory doesn't have an oval tool like MS Paint

If you hold down the mouse over the rect tool, it should pull out a little menu with rectangle, circle and crop options.

Apparently Photoshop in all it's advanced technical glory doesn't have an oval tool like MS Paint

If you hold down the mouse over the rect tool, it should pull out a little menu with rectangle, circle and crop options.

That's just for a selection though. I'm talking about making a 2 or 3-pixel-thick oval around the certain texture button in that picture, like MS Paint can do with it's oval tool (except I want the feathering effect).

Ms paint is good enough for Doom editing in my opinion. About them Deep water effects and 3d-bridges..I've got them all... Appearently...i wuz using the wrong version of Doom Legacy (1.30 instead of 1.32) *shame*... I still cant get the TRANSLUCENT water thing though....o well, atleast i got something done... I have successfully made a level with 6 loors ontop of each other and some deep/swimmable water. Who wants the Crappy screenshot?! =]