Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom OG

Feedback trolls

Why does the levels page allow anonymous comments on wads? Today I got "pathetic" listed by anonymous on my 32-level megawad. I can honestly say it's a lot better than a lot of other stuff I've played, so I know this person must be a troll.

Can we at least get a username attached to comments? It's quite annoying to see stuff like that on something you worked hard on for months.

Because you don't need to be registered anywhere to access the archive front end or leave comments. Usernames are attached to comments for people who have the cookie from the forums on their computer when on there, but that's only a very recent update and about as far as we can realistically go (although some of us, like me, did write a signature on our reviews). Some files have been enjoying those kinds of reviews (and a whole lot worse) for over a decade, so you'll just have to get over it :P

It's just one of those things I'm afraid. Trolling, the curse of the noughties reeking havoc in this decade.
The user name thing is a new thing to the archives, we used to just used to put our name on the end of the review.

If someone comes along and drops a one word comment on your WAD, and you come here and complain about it, they pretty much got what they wanted. Anonymous comments have always been a part of the archives, and while they're largely worthless for any useful author feedback, they're here to stay. Just accept that there will always be trolls. Anyone with half a brain can figure out which comments are garbage, anyway.

Don't let it get to yourself.

Instead, tell him what you think of him, like a man. Tell him what a big bad meanie he is. That will teach him.

marysson said:

Why does the levels page allow anonymous comments on wads? Today I got "pathetic" listed by anonymous on my 32-level megawad. I can honestly say it's a lot better than a lot of other stuff I've played, so I know this person must be a troll.

...or maybe he actually thought it was pathetic?

I don't see the big deal, it's just someone expressing their opinion. Sure, negative reviews can be annoying, especially if they aren't constructive, but I think it's ignorant to pass all of them off as trolling.

While I can't comment on the gameplay of your megawad since I didn't play it much (but I know that map32 is fun because I saw a demo), I can say that design-wise it is very primitive by modern standards and most people don't enjoy that kind of stuff nowadays. To me some maps look OK and some look pretty cool, but the majority of players prefer maps with much more detail I think. I'm not saying that it's okay to leave one-word negative comments but I kind of see where they are coming from.

So if you're worried about negative comments, you could try to work harder on the visuals next time. Perhaps if they do bother you that means that you agree with them to some extent?

Unmoderated/anonymous comment fields always attract nonsense. Only real way around it is to ignore it.

Can't stop trolls on idgames. Incidentally, quite a few like having a go at Speed of Doom for some reason; probably to 'make up' for something they lack, heh.

marysson said:

Oh wow, so I saw the prboom demos...

Is this the sort of graphics YOU see in prboom?

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u599/marysson74/doom02_zpsdd10ab6e.png

Compared with how it is supposed to look:

http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u599/marysson74/Risen3D2013-01-1222-30-49-65_zps0982312e.png

Maybe that is what "visual issues" means?

The general consensus is that people do prefer a more in-depth design with low resolution more than they do simple designs with high resolutions (see Back to Saturn X). I would suggest designing for prboom or zdoom (software mode), and practice on finding ways of adding depth to your design (i.e, height variations, different texturing, skies, windows, layout/room interconnections, etc etc). High resolution textures should be reserved for a mostly ambitious well-designed project that includes a lot of scripting, port-exclusive features as you would typically find in eternity or gzdoom wads.

I've gotten my share of negative comments, including "0 because it's Mr. Chris" type comments. I figure they 1) don't like my level/play style or 2) plain trollage.

Please log into your Doomworld forums account➚ to comment. (Sign up➚.)
Half the work is done. Association between /idgames comments and forum accounts already exists. This is the obvious next step.¹

Phobus said:

Because you don't need to be registered anywhere to access the archive front end

Indeed, but then you go on to say...

or leave comments.

No, here I have to disagree.

Usernames are attached to comments for people who have the cookie from the forums on their computer when on there, but that's only a very recent update and about as far as we can realistically go [...]

Why is that as far as you are realistically able to go? I don't think it is...

Xaser said:

Unmoderated/anonymous comment fields always attract nonsense. Only real way around it is to ignore it.

Joshy said:

Can't stop trolls on idgames.

Again I have to disagree. There is a simple solution.

——
¹ To those with long memories: incidents like this could have been avoided...

I agree with RjY. Allowing anonymous comments and votes just invites spammers, because they know they can't actually be banned from it. As it is now, /idgames ratings are kind of a joke.

esselfortium said:

I agree with RjY. Allowing anonymous comments and votes just invites spammers, because they know they can't actually be banned from it. As it is now, /idgames ratings are kind of a joke.

That HairyJerry idiot springs to mind.

Archive comments are sometimes loaded with useless shit talk and improper down-voting (or up-voting, too.)

If people can't give proper comments, instead they can safely fling shit while being anonymous... Then what's the point for rating and commenting?

I personally don't mind for logging in for few comments.

RjY said:

No, here I have to disagree.

I was merely stating the current way things are. I agree that it'd be nice to lose the shit and force people to actually take responsibility for what they say, but even then you could just vote and not leave a comment (thus still being anonymous and affecting perception of the file in question) or just use a fake account (which happens on forums all the time anyway!)

Exactly. It wouldn't be hard to use the same login session (it is PHP after all) to attach a username to the comment box. And it would at least keep the bullshit off of something that someone works hard to make, for free, after all. Doesn't give much incentive to make more if anonymous idiots just trash it.

Joshy said:

Can't stop trolls on idgames. Incidentally, quite a few like having a go at Speed of Doom for some reason; probably to 'make up' for something they lack, heh.

The general consensus is that people do prefer a more in-depth design with low resolution more than they do simple designs with high resolutions (see Back to Saturn X). I would suggest designing for prboom or zdoom (software mode), and practice on finding ways of adding depth to your design (i.e, height variations, different texturing, skies, windows, layout/room interconnections, etc etc). High resolution textures should be reserved for a mostly ambitious well-designed project that includes a lot of scripting, port-exclusive features as you would typically find in eternity or gzdoom wads.

Thank you, now _this_ makes sense.

What I did was design the whole thing and test it through Risen3D. On the forums I saw a lot of people use prBoom/zDoom, so I then when back through and added lo-res images. At first I couldnt even get the images to show up in prBoom. Anyway, maybe designing for a better looking engine and then trying to make it work in the other ones was my mistake.

That and the fact that people nowadays apparently like a lot of detail. Back in my day (insert old man voice) we didn't go for tons of detail...I guess I have to get with the times! ;)

Bloodshedder said:

Those comments are incredibly tame compared to what I've seen in the past. Also, I see you felt the need to vote 5 on your own WAD.

Yeah cause someone deleted a couple of 5 that were there.

I wouldn't be opposed to making idGames comments closed to anonymous users. Not very much reason to leave them entirely open in this case.

Unfortunately there are lots of smartass reviewers who are going to down-vote a wad just because it doesn't have enough detail or it looks unusual, despite being fun.

I find the entire concept of Internet commenting rubbish. It attracts fools to write repetitive garbage, and other fools to waste their valuable time reading them. The Internet would be a much better place if comments were banned and we would only have to focus on the content. And if a rating is so important, just put a thumbs-up/down system like on YouTube.

Joshy said:

As someone who did rate SoD 1 star and left a negative comment, I can assure you it had nothing to do with "jealousy" or whatever, and everything to do with the fact that it was amazingly unfun to play (and this is coming from someone who likes this style of wad- my all time favorites are Deus Vult 2, Scythe 2, and Alien Vendetta).

Too many stupid "gotcha!"s, too many chaingunners, too many cramped areas. Maybe it gets better, but when three of the first seven levels are straight-up terrible (2, 5, and 7), and none of the other four managed to rise above "kinda bad, but I guess not completely intolerable", I'm not going to stick around to find out (particularly hilarious: one of the arachnotrons not teleporting into the end of map 7, leaving me stranded there).

Guess that makes me a "troll".

Cynical said:

As someone who did rate SoD 1 star and left a negative comment, I can assure you it had nothing to do with "jealousy" or whatever, and everything to do with the fact that it was amazingly unfun to play (and this is coming from someone who likes this style of wad- my all time favorites are Deus Vult 2, Scythe 2, and Alien Vendetta).

Too many stupid "gotcha!"s, too many chaingunners, too many cramped areas. Maybe it gets better, but when three of the first seven levels are straight-up terrible (2, 5, and 7), and none of the other four managed to rise above "kinda bad, but I guess not completely intolerable", I'm not going to stick around to find out (particularly hilarious: one of the arachnotrons not teleporting into the end of map 7, leaving me stranded there).

Guess that makes me a "troll".

Don't feel what I said was targeted at you. If you left a comment that didn't involve derogatory comments and you explained in a respectful manner, than you've done nothing wrong. And the 'make up for something they lack' was to imply they downvote popular WADs as a means to feel 'important', or going against the grain, or rage-complaining about a wad that's hard when they don't utilise the difficulty settings. Initially, it can be irritating when you really did put in the effort to make something, but it's something I don't take on board now; I just look at it as comedic material, heh. Honesty is what I respect though (The kind of honesty that attempts to be dispassionate, but that's probably asking a lot).

To compare a troll comment to a decent comment (even though I'd disagree with the comments, obviously I am not in the position to do so)-
A decent comment would say this (copied-pasted from the comments field): "Eh, feels like too much monster-spam is present and it becomes way too predictable and unforgiving very fast. Although the detail and some of the gameplay is fun, it doesn't have much strategy to the monster spam."

Obvious troll comments are such as these: "Jesus christ, this wad sucks. Overuse of hitscanners (especially in open areas, where the only recourse is to pray that the RNG favors you) and ridiculous traps that are literally a binary "do you know about it in advance? If so, run out of it and don't take any damage; if not, you die" make it play like a turd, and the overuse of brown makes it look like one, too."

"ugly colors and design, slaughter gameplay, nothing in common with alien vendetta, pure shit. 0/5"

The only thing I would've suggested to you is to either keep on going past those levels (I am not sure why the arach didn't turn up, no-one's brought that issue up), or play on 'I am too young to die'; the difficulty is there for a reason after all; otherwise it's just not your cup of tea as you've said initially. Personally, I'm not sure what the difference there is between DVII, AV, Scythe 2 and Speed of Doom, and there aren't exactly many cramped areas (it was designed as to not to be cramped, especially with the hordes you face later on) so forgive me if I am baffled a little bit. Still, thank you for your honesty. :-)

Joshy said:

Don't feel what I said was targeted at you. If you left a comment that didn't involve derogatory comments and you explained in a respectful manner, than you've done nothing wrong. And the 'make up for something they lack' was to imply they downvote popular WADs as a means to feel 'important', or going against the grain, or rage-complaining about a wad that's hard when they don't utilise the difficulty settings. Initially, it can be irritating when you really did put in the effort to make something, but it's something I don't take on board now; I just look at it as comedic material, heh. Honesty is what I respect though (The kind of honesty that attempts to be dispassionate, but that's probably asking a lot).

To compare a troll comment to a decent comment (even though I'd disagree with the comments, obviously I am not in the position to do so)-
A decent comment would say this (copied-pasted from the comments field): "Eh, feels like too much monster-spam is present and it becomes way too predictable and unforgiving very fast. Although the detail and some of the gameplay is fun, it doesn't have much strategy to the monster spam."

Obvious troll comments are such as these: "Jesus christ, this wad sucks. Overuse of hitscanners (especially in open areas, where the only recourse is to pray that the RNG favors you) and ridiculous traps that are literally a binary "do you know about it in advance? If so, run out of it and don't take any damage; if not, you die" make it play like a turd, and the overuse of brown makes it look like one, too."

"ugly colors and design, slaughter gameplay, nothing in common with alien vendetta, pure shit. 0/5"

The only thing I would've suggested to you is to either keep on going past those levels (I am not sure why the arach didn't turn up, no-one's brought that issue up), or play on 'I am too young to die'; the difficulty is there for a reason after all; otherwise it's just not your cup of tea as you've said initially. Personally, I'm not sure what the difference there is between DVII, AV, Scythe 2 and Speed of Doom, and there aren't exactly many cramped areas (it was designed as to not to be cramped, especially with the hordes you face later on) so forgive me if I am baffled a little bit. Still, thank you for your honesty. :-)

One of those comments was mine, so, I guess it is targeted at me?

Anyways, I actually wasn't playing it on UV. Even so, the chaingunner usage and popup traps were still intensely aggravating. Compare, for instance, that chaingunner placement in the hallway right of the start point in map 5 with the chaingunner placement in the library in map 21 of DVII. In "Cliffside Siege", those chaingunners are placed on a ledge behind the direction the player wants to move through that hallway, and, on HMP, there's a few HKs on the other end hurling plasma down the corridor. The player now has a few really shitty options: he can either pop in and out of the doorway, slowly picking away at any chaingunners that walk on to the right-most part of the ledge, or he can go out into the hallway, turn his back to the HKs (risking hits from them), and kill the chaingunners ASAP, absorbing hits from them and the distant spider that he has no cover from. Either way, the flow is awkward, and the player has the option of boredom with the first option, or taking a ton of damage- partially luck based- and hoping that the spider and chaingunners roll badly on the pseudo-RNG. Compare this with the DVII21 library: the player grabs the chaingun, the door closes behind him. There's two paths; one has hitscanners in front of it, the other acts as obvious cover. If the player chooses to go for the cover, there's three more enemies down that hallway after the curve, but they're all in front of the player, so the flow is unbroken, and there's no tedious "poke in and out" crap. There's a lot of this sort of stuff in SoD (another example that comes to mind instantly- the first room of the "jail" area in map 07, where the bars pop up behind the player), and this style of play seems really out of place in a wad called "Speed of Doom".

As far as traps go, again, lets compare DVII map 21 vs. Cliffside Siege. In Cliffside Siege, after you grab the key on the central island, a bunch of chaingunners teleport in on your right side, with no cover anywhere nearby. If you don't know about this trap in advance and have the appropriate weapon out, and aren't ready to face the appropriate direction immediately, you will die. Compare this to DVII21's "Hitler chapel" trap- the chaingunners spawn right in front of you, and there's large pillar for cover about three feet behind you. Even if you don't know it's coming, you're basically guaranteed to have 50 health/100 armor, bare minimum, when you trigger it, so you easily have enough time to duck back behind the pillar.

Finally, as far as cramped areas, the stuff that comes to mind most quickly is map02 (which nearly feels like a Congestion 1024 entry), and those tiny halls around the first "jail" room in map07. Particularly in the latter case, there wasn't even enough room to strafe around a revenant missile, so I had to constantly run up and down the staircases, which was annoying as hell.

"Jesus christ, this wad sucks. Overuse of hitscanners (especially in open areas, where the only recourse is to pray that the RNG favors you) and ridiculous traps that are literally a binary "do you know about it in advance? If so, run out of it and don't take any damage; if not, you die" make it play like a turd, and the overuse of brown makes it look like one, too."

This is actual criticism. Troll comments would be something like this:(on my wad) "Author here, AND ITS TERRY!!!! NO PATCH IS COMING!! I'LL ***RAPE YOU ALL!!!!"

That was an actually comment on my wad. You know what I did? Reported it. If the comment has any criticisms like "too many hitscanners" how can you call it trolling? Because you disagree? Or because of his score he gave? Maybe he really hated the wad.