Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project - /idgames link is up

FINAL VERSION B: DMP2012b.zip

To-Do List:

- map40 is sector666's map and it doesn't seem to work anymore after I changed the map#

- intermission graphics to show author name

- titlepic? anyone want to make one? I thought it'd be cool to make one that looked like the doomworld forums front page, where it says "Currently Active Users: 40" and then it shows the names of the mappers, but the one I made was bad.

TimeOfDeath said:

titlepic? anyone want to make one? I thought it'd be cool to make one that looked like the doomworld forums front page, where it says "Currently Active Users: 40" and then it shows the names of the mappers, but the one I made was bad.

I'm not entirely sure how it'd be possible to make this look good. Does this project even have a title yet? CAU:40 could probably work with that TITLEPIC idea, I'll see what I can manage.

EDIT: Shitty preliminary idea!

Ignore the horrible contrasts and all that, it was something rushed together in a few minutes; I can work on it later (and make it look not shit) if it's any good as a base.

EDIT 2:
Shiiiiiiiiit. This needs fixing NOW:
http://www.speedyshare.com/VtvK4/bos-hive-fix.zip
I don't know how I managed to fuck that one up. I don't even know what purpose that P1 start could have served during testing.

TimeOfDeath said:

map40 is sector666's map and it doesn't seem to work anymore after I changed the map#

The shotgun had it's script execute action set to map number 1, so I changed that to 40... and it still didn't work on map 40. Then I tried 0 just in case map number wasn't needed. That made it work.

Checking the wiki, 0 means the current map so apparently map number would rarely even be needed. I have no clue though why 1 worked on map01 but 40 didn't work on map40.

But that's okay. As I had to reup anyway I also improved a fight that used to be stupidly annoying if you didn't know what was coming. Here it is fixed for map 40: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5fnivknh199n65b

Btw, if you could have it use the same music as map 25 that would be great.

Okay, a bit of pissing around and here's some stuff!
Titlepic:

I also have one without the text in the lower-right corner.

Credits background:

I'll need to get a list from the first page before I finish this one.

That's a very nice credits background.

It looks a little weird that the logo on the titlepic is solid in the middle and transparent on the edges.

The font in the corner just doesn't match with the rest of the titlepic. Maybe use a Doom font, or the font from the top of this page (where it says Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods)?

It would definitely look better to have that text centered too. I'd suggest putting it between the logo and 40. It's the right size that it would probably fit there well without looking crowded. And you could drop the redundant DoomWorld then :)

Literally the first thing I did after downloading this wad and starting it up was:
turn 180 degrees
open door
find secret chainsaw!
door closes behind me
door doesn't open again

So just to clarify, the door to the secret chainsaw room on map one only opens one way. I did see the funny side though, will let you know if I find anything else.

mouldy said:

Literally the first thing I did after downloading this wad and starting it up was:
turn 180 degrees
open door
find secret chainsaw!
door closes behind me
door doesn't open again

So just to clarify, the door to the secret chainsaw room on map one only opens one way. I did see the funny side though, will let you know if I find anything else.

I'd better fix that :)

Its a good map though, 2nd one is looking good too. How many are there altogether, 40 odd? Should keep me going for a while

sector666 said:

That's a very nice credits background.

It looks a little weird that the logo on the titlepic is solid in the middle and transparent on the edges.

The font in the corner just doesn't match with the rest of the titlepic. Maybe use a Doom font, or the font from the top of this page (where it says Doomworld Forums > Classic Doom > WADs & Mods)?

It would definitely look better to have that text centered too. I'd suggest putting it between the logo and 40. It's the right size that it would probably fit there well without looking crowded. And you could drop the redundant DoomWorld then :)

Yeah, I screwed up/around with a couple of things and merely wanted to rush out a rough demo of what I was getting at. The entire DW logo is vaguely translucent now, although I can easily change this if general opinion of it is negative. The text in the corner was more of an afterthought too, I'll think up something to finish the TITLEPIC properly (no doubt involving trying to create new letters out of the DoomWorld logo if I'm feeling up to it). I'll take your idea on board and centre this text under the logo too.

Katamori said:

BaronOfStuff, nice work!

Thanks. I'll try and finish up another demo of TITLEPIC and CREDITS later tonight, perhaps with an INTERPIC and BOSSBACK too (might as well go for it and replace all of these things). Another thing I'm thinking of is a replacement D_INTRO and D_D2INT, to complete a 'new' soundtrack.

Thanks for working on the graphics BOS! A new bossback is probably not needed since the vanilla/limit-removing/boom maps end at map29, and the bossback gets skipped in zdoom. I can look for new intro and inter music if that's ok.

I played a little bit of map 13, the hive, and (assuming I'm playing it right) the gameplay is is quite fun/difficult/tricky in a forced-infighting/ limited ammo type of way- an interesting change of pace to the typical bfg spam tons of monsters/ammo type maps. Its like the only gun I had was a pistol and I'm shooting at a manc, then run out of pistol ammo and the only ammo box is in line of sight of a vile, barely enough room to squeeze by the manc and snag it and run back, then the vile wakes up so now I have to use the manc to infight the vile, etc.

gggmork said:

I played a little bit of map 13, the hive...

Well you've made the best out of an awful mistake on my part. That playerstart wasn't supposed to be there; in fact I don't even remember why it ended up there in the first place.

I really shouldn't work on maps if I'm drinking. Terrible, terrible things happen. There's a link to a fixed version a few posts back, although that's still on the MAP01 slot.

Ah, shit! Just as I get these ready! ;)
TITLEPIC tests:

CREDITS tests:

Still working on the rest, and of course these aren't necessarily going to be anything of the finished result.

EDIT:
Hahaha, the images tile neatly!

Well putting the player start there accidentally made a really tricky map with weird but fun challenging gameplay (haven't even played the map as intended yet). See, I recorded a demo on 13, managing to beat all monsters that are beatable (I think) from that accidental player start area, using a lot of tricky infighting.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/DMP2012bNOTFINAL.zip
(old wad and lmp both included)
Infighting the baron and vile toward the end was complete luck I think. I want to make gameplay like that on purpose now.

@BaronOfStuff: Heh, that's really cool! I like the 3rd TITLEPIC and 2nd CREDITS the most, personally.

Seeing my name on any Doom-related pics always makes be cry :')

Anyway, I agree with Phobus. The third TITLEPIC is the best, because that text font is not as ordinary as the other ones IMO.

The CREDITS doesn't matter for me. I mean, both are good for me. =)

FINAL VERSION D: DMP2012d.zip

Sorry about that danne, there was a typo in the dehacked.
This version fixed that typo and added the 3rd titlepic and 2nd credit pic (those were my favs too).

Edit: btw BOS, I noticed the credit pic is missing a space in Death Egg's name. Cool pic though!

gggmork said:

I recorded a demo on 13, managing to beat all monsters that are beatable (I think) from that accidental player start area, using a lot of tricky infighting.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/DMP2012bNOTFINAL.zip
(old wad and lmp both included)
Infighting the baron and vile toward the end was complete luck I think. I want to make gameplay like that on purpose now.

...lucky or not, that was still pretty fucking cool to watch. Nice work on surviving what is reasonably late into the map like that!

I think a WAD consisting of maps based around a lot of forced infighting could be quite an interesting take on mapping. Like something of a spiritual successor to CyberDreams, only a bit more forgiving if you're hit...

Fixed the name errors in the CREDITS lump:

Also made a few alternate options for TITLEPIC, by filling in the otherwise bland lettering with Doom II textures. It looks alright, but the text would probably need to be a bit bigger for full effect:

(Oh just look at that tiling...)

Finally (for now), here's a pair of BOSSBACK images:

Not sure which looks better to anyone else, although personally I prefer the second image.

Probably the fourth time I've tried submitting this to use in a project, (though I don't think anyone ever used it) but there's always this pic I did once that you could use for one of the screens or more: