Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

New Map: The Great Urban Battle (2 or 3 playtesters needed)

This is a new map (Boom/Zdoom compatible) I have been working on since October 2012. It is ready for playtesting. It needs to be playtested because I know I suck at the gameplay.

Send me a PM and I will send you the link to the file.

Here are some screenshots.

esselfortium said:

Those are some massive benches. Also the narrowest four-lane roads I've ever seen :P

Shot 4 looks interesting.

Yeah its inside a dungeon after you beat the city.

I've been a big fan of yours since I played 2002ado in 2007. Would be glad to help with playtesting. :)

Memfis said:

I've been a big fan of yours since I played 2002ado in 2007. Would be glad to help with playtesting. :)

No worries. I sent you a PM with the link.

This is a very very big map. Over 1000 monsters and not a slaughter map.

johnfulgor said:

Hello,
I will gladly test the map with Brutal Doom.
Can I have the link?
Thank you!

PM sent with link.

I have fixed a few teleporter problems and made a few changes myself. For example only Cacodemons and Lost Souls teleport to the roof of the small chapel on the eastern end of the map just south of the 6 key skull switch. I am happy with the ammo balance.

Replaced the 4 Imps with blue flame sticks on the brown building just south of the RL building as those Imps were hard to kill. I added more enemies to the areas outside the map where the monsters teleport in after grabbing the keys.

Added a voodoo doll so the Lost Soul traps in the underground dungeon only open once the bridge sections have been raised.

pcorf said:

I am happy with the ammo balance.

Well, don't you think it's a bit boring how the player can easily stock up with lots of ammo by simply running around the street? To me tighter ammo balance would make things a lot more exciting. I just feel overpowered when I have maximum of everything. Maybe make the player look harder for ammo, make him feel unsafe in this big infested city?
I understand that it is difficult to balance large nonlinear maps. But it might be worth it.
btw are these your drawings in the subway station? I remember seeing similar pictures on your website. :)

Not promising anything since I might be busy the upcoming days, but I'd like to have a shot at beta-testing too. I really liked WoS.

Memfis said:

Well, don't you think it's a bit boring how the player can easily stock up with lots of ammo by simply running around the street? To me tighter ammo balance would make things a lot more exciting. I just feel overpowered when I have maximum of everything. Maybe make the player look harder for ammo, make him feel unsafe in this big infested city?
I understand that it is difficult to balance large nonlinear maps. But it might be worth it.
btw are these your drawings in the subway station? I remember seeing similar pictures on your website. :)

Yeah. They are my drawings in the station.

Yeah its extremely difficult to get the ammo balance right and gameplay has never been my strength. I think there may be a bit too much ammo as mentioned. But the ammo comes in useful. I might consider replacing some boxes of bullets with rocket boxes and removing some ammo too. I am just wanting some basic suggestions.

Note: I will upload version 2 of Urban Battle for playtesting early next week. The goal is to release it later this month or early next month.

Still sorting out the gameplay, esp the ammo balance. I am pretty happy with that so far.

I have decided to turn the streets into two lane streets as they looked a bit odd as very narrow four lane streets. This has reduced the amount of linedefs by over 1000. The streets have just a single ----- running through their middles.

The map will be released onto my website within the next week or two (once I am satisfied) and uploaded to idgames.