Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vargally

How do i cut lmp?

I believe you should know that.
I've recorded a successful run (cchest 12 at 19:46), but there are few bad attepts in beginning of the demo.

I invite you to make the following experiment: open cchest, MAP13. The map # is not important, but it's better if it's a level in which monsters attack you from the start.

Do nothing. Don't move or shoot or change pistol to fist.

You should be killed by an arachnotron. Now if you quit and start this thing again, you will die in an exactly same manner, every time your health will drop the same amount.

What if you die and then press space to start the level again? You will die in a different way, for example an imp might hit you first, as it happened to me. The pseudo-random number generator behaves always the same when the game is launched and the level started, but after one death if you restart, it's different.

This explains why it's impossible to solve your problem. Demos can only be cut from the end. We can't force the engine to know in advance what RNG sequences would be in your last, successful attempt.

When will we see a modification of prboom-plus that starts a new demo each time you respawn? Or maybe just an option for this. Surely it's easy to make, right?

sry but this was too tempting.

to cut lmps is very easy:
right click on the lmp, and then select "cut"

luls.
yea I'm a missed clown

Memfis said:

When will we see a modification of prboom-plus that starts a new demo each time you respawn? Or maybe just an option for this. Surely it's easy to make, right?

well, it'd also have to restart the look-up table, otherwise you'd get a desyncing demo. that's already changing how the whole game behaves and i have no idea if it'd actually work. :)

Memfis said:

that would definitely be convenient. though by now I've pretty much committed the act of re-recording a demo to muscle memory heh. esc,Q,Y,up,up,enter,up,up,enter, and we're back!

Ribbiks said:

esc,Q,Y,up,up,enter,up,up,enter, and we're back!

Allow me to impart a closely guarded secret told to me by the elders, who were in turn told by their elders:
options/setup/key bindings: set quit to "y", then you can double tap y.

I use the run box in windows so type:
windowsKey/r(for "run")/enter
to start a demo
then:
y y
to quit

That sequence you press doesn't seem to map to whatever I do.

gggmork said:

set quit to "y", then you can double tap y.

ahh, eenteresting.

That sequence you press doesn't seem to map to whatever I do.

running prb from terminal, up up enter runs the command entered 2 times ago (which would be 'rm demo.lmp' or whatever), and up up enter again runs the command 2 times ago which is now './Prboom -record blah.lmp' etc. Though recently I discovered prb can automatically replace demos, but I still feel safer manually deleting them for some reason.