Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Doom_Dude

Mars: Reull Vallis River Structure...

Thought this was pretty damned interesting. 1500km river structure on Mars photographed with the high-resolution stereo camera from ESA's Mars Express. Downloading the high res version of the first pic (75mb) now from the site. [edit] Got first pic downgrabbed... cool cool cool.

Reull Vallis, the river-like structure in these images, is believed to have formed when running water flowed in the distant martian past, cutting a steep-sided channel through the Promethei Terra Highlands before running on towards the floor of the vast Hellas basin.

Linkage --> http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/Reull_Vallis_a_river_ran_through_it

Those images don't do the best job of conveying how utterly huge that riverbed is. They do manage a nice job of conveying how alien Mars can be. It's weird to think of running water coexisting with those big impact craters.

Aliotroph? said:

Those images don't do the best job of conveying how utterly huge that riverbed is.

I wouldn't mind seeing some shots taken from the surface of the riverbed or along the banks.

I wonder how much Google Mars has improved since I last looked at it ages ago.