Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomCollector

Collecting Doom

fraggle said:

ZDoom takes it from Quake, I think. It's not unreasonable to think that they both might have just taken it from there.

If it were just center print text I'd agree, but it's the exact same string ZDoom uses by default. Quake uses the more generic "You found a secret area!" Based on GreyGhost's post, it seems like the GBA devs took the string from ZDoom.

Vulture said:

I dunno what the big deal about Strife and PSX Doom is. I got a factory sealed copy of Strife off Amazon for $21... I still have it in the shrink wrap. I also got PSX Final Doom in mint condition for $15 last year, as well as greatest hits PSX Doom. I was going to get the big box PSX Doom also, but I got outbid by $1 last minute :[

I also got big box Ultimate Doom (CD) for $40 new and it still had the badass poster.

Doom for PSX appears to be one of the better ports, no? All but three monsters (Arch-Vile, Baphomet, SS Officer), a new monster, all weapons, 8 new maps, new skybox, new sfx, new music, faster framerate, status bar face gib, full-screen... the only bad parts are the sometimes somewhat simplified maps particularly in the first three episodes and the fact that it uses passwords.

Yeah, I ordered the poster 24"x32" recently but it's still on the way. It's too awesome.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention. I got PSX Doom in near-mint condition for $32 last week bought from Sweden. Disc had only the lightest possible wear on the dark side, insert and instructions were mint and the box only had light wear with only the lightest possible scratches and some glue residue from the original seal apparently which I easily got away with an eraser (yeah, that's how you do it and I've heard tape works fine too as using an eraser might leave a very faint smudge that's difficult to polish away). Pretty good deal, no? I'm satisfied.

I was going to say I found a bargain on Ebay not too long ago. £6.00 for Strife and Hexen shareware disc unfortunately it's gone now. Strife is incredibly rare and so is the Hexen shareware.

Springy said:

I was going to say I found a bargain on Ebay not too long ago. £6.00 for Strife and Hexen shareware disc unfortunately it's gone now. Strife is incredibly rare and so is the Hexen shareware.

Hexen shareware huh... why'd anyone want shareware? ;p

Apparently it's included in an Ultimate Doom I think I might get in a few days.

Anyways I've had great luck finding just about everything at affordable prices and unexpectedly got a lot of student founding this month since it's a new year and all and even though I broke the original budget I'm more than back on track! :)

I've had little luck finding Doom for the 3DO or Jaguar that ship outside of UK, Doom II for the GBA at an affordable price or the Master Levels big box though I might just get a CD in sleeve of the Master Levels... are they any good?
I've never played Final Doom either actually. Always thought it was unofficial.

Hold on how many Doom big box computer games are there really?
Doom 3.5"
Doom 5.25"
Ultimate Doom CD (Silver)
Ultimate Doom Win95 (Silver)
Ultimate Doom 3.5" (Red)
Ultimate Doom CD (Red)
Ultimate Doom Win95 (Red)
Doom II 3.5" floppies
Doom II CD
Doom II Win95
Final Doom
Master Levels for Doom
Then there's Macintosh Ultimate Doom CD (Red) and Mac Doom II on CD...
Probably Ultimate Doom 3.5" with Silver cover too?

I actually find it pretty funny how there are so damn many editions... like was there about a Doom every month back around 93-94? Fuck!

Does the Wiki list this?

Edit: wow, Registered Doom on 3.5" in near-mint condition... for $120... no, thanks. Seller has 1 rating and is in Tel-Aviv which to my knowledge is currently being bombed to shreds lol.

DoomCollector said:

Hexen shareware huh... why'd anyone want shareware? ;p

Apparently it's included in an Ultimate Doom I think I might get in a few days.

Anyways I've had great luck finding just about everything at affordable prices and unexpectedly got a lot of student founding this month since it's a new year and all and even though I broke the original budget I'm more than back on track! :)

I've had little luck finding Doom for the 3DO or Jaguar that ship outside of UK, Doom II for the GBA at an affordable price or the Master Levels big box though I might just get a CD in sleeve of the Master Levels... are they any good?
I've never played Final Doom either actually. Always thought it was unofficial.

I know what you mean as shareware can be downloaded anyway. Apparently the disc is considered extremely rare.

Springy said:

I know what you mean as shareware can be downloaded anyway. Apparently the disc is considered extremely rare.

Well OK! :p
Well, shareware is just a floppy most of the time with no extras and it's not even a whole game to begin with and yeah... they're free. So it's funny how they're considered rare sometimes. Doom has a ton of different sharewares if I got it right though.

Anyone knows if the Doom floppies with a G on front are legit?

I just counted how many Doom games there are, apparently.

115...?
32 for personal computers.
13 for consoles.
4 handheld.
16 digital.
... and WebTV Plus?
70 not counting UK/US separately, 115 total.

Counting UK/US only.
Not counting Trilogy (2001, 2004), Depths of Doom, Doom+Wolfenstein, Doom+Quake, any other combos, mappacks and not counting different publishers separately or releases such as Best of Infogrames, Platinum etc... and no shareware.
Only counting two registered Doom: standard and Australian.

Personal computers include PC, Mac, Acorn, BeOS, IRIX, Linux, Nextstep, OS/2, QNX and Solaris and is pretty approximate as I don't know anything about them and just took them from various lists.
Consoles include Atari Jaguar, Sega 32x, PlayStation, SNES, Panasonic 3DO, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Xbox, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.
Handheld includes GBA, Pocket PC and Tapwave Zodiac.
Digital includes id Store, Steam (not counting Doom Classic Complete or Doom 3 Pack), PSN (counting Doom Classic Complete as it's the only option there), XBLA, cellphones (Doom RPG only) and iOS.
And WebTV Plus, I've heard.

Pretty many.

DoomCollector said:

Well, shareware is just a floppy most of the time with no extras and it's not even a whole game to begin with and yeah... they're free. So it's funny how they're considered rare sometimes.

Shareware on floppy or CD isn't free (the distribution rules allow that) and some disks are uncommon enough to be sought after as collectables. You could make a counter argument that so long as Doom's available for download from online stores the game's not going to be rare enough to justify collecting the physical media. :P

Anyone knows if the Doom floppies with a G on front are legit?

Do you have a picture?

GreyGhost said:

Shareware on floppy or CD isn't free (the distribution rules allow that) and some disks are uncommon enough to be sought after as collectables. You could make a counter argument that so long as Doom's available for download from online stores the game's not going to be rare enough to justify collecting the physical media. :P

Do you have a picture?

Nevermind, I'm pretty sure they're legit. I found a picture of the shareware boxed with the same floppies. GT Interactive.

Be prepared for long hunt if you want all those doom games out there. many of us have been collecting these games for years. I also collect Doom merchandise and that is endless pit. Also recently started collecting elder scrolls stuff and those older games go for pretty high price on ebay, managed to snag arena, daggerfall, battlespire, adventures and oblivion collectors edition in one month in CIB condition. Battlespire and arena are super hard to find in good condition.

Yeah, I'm not gonna go for all with a student income hah. About 10 years late.

UD and D2 PC/MAC CD big boxes, Final Doom PC boxless, Master Levels PC boxless, Doom 3 PC big box, Resurrection of Evil PC and one of every console port in VG-mint condition other than the 3DO and SNES games which I only could find on acceptable and G+ condition and the Doom II GBA game which I only saw for a way too high price.
By March I’ll get more money and will start searching again for registered Doom, Doom II GBA, Final Doom big boxed (I saw one cheaply in tatty condition but someone else caught it), Master Levels big boxed (up now on eBay but way out of my price range atm) and I’m also planning to start a small NES/SNES collection because I just found a company that sells tons of NES/SNES consoles and games for really affordable prices.
I’ll probably also keep an eye open for some of the digital games and whatever cheap merchandise I can get my hands on by then. Also I’ll probably just pirate the BFG Edition since it requires binding the games to Steam-accounts.

Yeah, I've also been thinking about an Elder Scrolls collection. Arenas coziness, Daggerfalls ambition, Morrowinds narrative, Oblivions warmness... aaand Skyrim which I haven’t played a lot. I've played the rest of the main series plenty though.
They're all except for Battlespire up on eBay right now in near mint condition but I think I'd have to spend more than a month’s student pay to get just about 7 games.

Check this out though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Elder-Scrolls-Arena-Deluxe-Edition-PC-1993-NEW-FACTORY-SEALED-/321059077811?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4ac09cbeb3
Arena Deluxe Edition brand new auctions for $60 right now... I'd consider getting it and checking alternative prices except I've spent about $1500 this month so I'm not even buying a pizza until March when I get my next pay.

What's in the Saturn box?
I bought one new in plastic and don't want to open it :p Might go for getting more in plastic at some point and haven't got a Saturn so I might as well not open it.
I hear they're easy to come across in plastic.

By the way all except for the PC/Mac games have arrived and I've decided not to get the Jaguar game right now because of how expensive it was right now.

It's a neat collection!

man I got the doom 3 collectors edition (xbox), Resurrection of evil that comes with doom 1, doom 2 and master levels (xbox), doom and final doom (PS1), and the computer versions of the other doom wads and ports (final doom, doom, doom 2, strife ect)

DoomCollector said:

What's in the Saturn box?

With an estimated 98% of copies in circulation being shrinkwrapped, few know for sure what's inside, but I have it on good authority that there's a CD. ;-)

Can't say what else there might be since my copy's also in plastic, but here's a couple of pictures on MobyGames. I'm on the lookout for the NTSC version.

GreyGhost said:

With an estimated 98% of copies in circulation being shrinkwrapped, few know for sure what's inside, but I have it on good authority that there's a CD. ;-)

Can't say what else there might be since my copy's also in plastic, but here's a couple of pictures on MobyGames. I'm on the lookout for the NTSC version.

Oh, man. What the hell is a Saturn anyways? I guess it'll stay shrinkwrapped for now.

I just found out Resurrection of Evil's got a big box btw! Did not expect that.

DoomCollector said:

the
Check this out though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Elder-Scrolls-Arena-Deluxe-Edition-PC-1993-NEW-FACTORY-SEALED-/321059077811?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4ac09cbeb3
Arena Deluxe Edition brand new auctions for $60 right now... I'd consider getting it and checking alternative prices except I've spent about $1500 this month so I'm not even buying a pizza until March when I get my next pay.

yeah noticed it right away because of the wide arrange of ebay watches. somebody won it for 611$, crazy but I know sometime later there is better change to win similiar item in much lower price. It is the law of the ebay.

I have an extra copy of Doom from way back when on 4 floppy drives. $5 and it's yours.

Waffenak said:

yeah noticed it right away because of the wide arrange of ebay watches. somebody won it for 611$, crazy but I know sometime later there is better change to win similiar item in much lower price. It is the law of the ebay.

$651 with shipping!! Wow, I wouldn't pay that money for the original Doom signed in demon-blood by the Doomguy himself, then shrink-wrapped and stored in an airtight bank vault since release day.

BloodyAcid said:

I have an extra copy of Doom from way back when on 4 floppy drives. $5 and it's yours.

Ultimate? The demon or silver cover? And in what condition?

No sign of Registered, I ordered 3DO but it was only jewel case so I'll return it, only seen Master Levels box for Mac at a steep price and only seen Doom II GBA in acceptable condition - shitty box.

Considering two orders in the morning then lurking until March and wait for new stock.

DoomCollector said:

Ultimate? The demon or silver cover? And in what condition?

I apologize for this. This one's my fault.

It was a poorly placed joke about having Doom on 4 pirated floppy disks from the 90's, apart from my own original copy.

OK, aaanyways.

Gigantic photo that I should have resized or posted as a link

Do you guys think the Heretic sticker can be removed? 19 years later I don't think it will come loose without peeling some of the box colour with it, right?
I'm also wondering how and if I can peel away the circular white paper residue on the Doom II box. Not the blue system requirements though because they're pretty classy.

That's one hell of a large picture, prepare to cop some flak for it.

After 19 years, I doubt the Heretic label will come off without a fight. The paper residue you might be able to soak off using a cloth dipped in warm, soapy water.

I'd leave the stickers on. There's a good chance you'll do significant damage if you try to remove it, and it's part of the charm anyway.

Yeah, Doom II is OK. It's not my favorite, the blue sticker is original and the white residue will hopefully go away with some wetting like you mentioned.
The Ultimate Heretic sticker does bother me though because it's on the right side and as such ends up right in the middle of my entire showcase and I can't put anything down there to cover the stickers up until I get the original Doom I guess when I will probably rearrange so it is in the middle with the other two boxes only showing their left and right halves behind it respectively so I'm not sure what to do.

I was at a thrift store over the weekend and picked up Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Doom II: The Master Levels all factory sealed, in the big retail boxes (CD-Rom editions). I feel akward posting this having just registered and I got them because I personally just found it awesome but after looking through here I think someone else might appreciate them more.

Always loved the series, and I'm still wrestling with whether or not to let them go but if anyone's interested, I can toss up some pictures.

TankRank said:

I was at a thrift store over the weekend and picked up Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Doom II: The Master Levels all factory sealed, in the big retail boxes (CD-Rom editions). I feel akward posting this having just registered and I got them because I personally just found it awesome but after looking through here I think someone else might appreciate them more.

Always loved the series, and I'm still wrestling with whether or not to let them go but if anyone's interested, I can toss up some pictures.

Wow! Well, DON'T open them!!
I continue seeing people who get games in new condition at the price of breadcrumbs but it's too damn cold in Sweden to go to second hand stores this time of year because they're usually in cold spaces without warming.

Anyways depending on condition you might get about $50-$100 each.

I say sell them (eBay) one way or another and buy opened ones in very good condition to play instead for about $30-$40 each except for Master Levels which is pretty rare boxed in any condition so I'd just get the CD for $10.

I'd like some photos. I'm not too interested in new ones but I know there are some other guys here collecting sealed ones.

I'm pretty new to collecting so I've got a VG (very good condition) collection with a couple in only G condition, a couple in near-mint condition and Doom Saturn new and shrinkwrapped though there are also a few ones I haven't got in big boxes yet: Master Levels, 3DO, Jaguar, Doom II GBA and the original Doom from dec 1993.
Once I've got all the games in VG condition for actual playing I can start thinking about getting shrinkwrapped ones for collecting.

I have got the Master Levels CD only for playing already though so I might be interested in Master Levels shrinkwrapped and possibly Doom 1 depending on which exact release it is.

Still searching:
Original Doom complete
Master Levels big box complete
Doom 3DO big box complete
Doom II GBA complete in better than just acceptable condition

I may have found the jaggie at a good price, we'll see monday. Otherwise $50.