Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plut

FDC # 10

Wow! So quick the results?

I had 1 death, not 2. And you said "complevel 9" before?

Newbie = Beginner, right? Maybe just write "Beginner" then since that's his nickname here and on DSDA?
Anyway, congrats to him! Very nice playing, not much problems with that ledge and quick escape at the end. :)

The map was cool but a little too short for my taste. I think Cybermind's map from FDC8 was a lot more exciting: it was very long so I felt really accomplished when I finally managed to beat it after 50 minutes. Still, thanks a lot for making this map and organizing everything!

Map was cute! Sadly, I unluckily died two times in the exact same spot, or I could have climbed a lot more positions in the podium.

Thanks everyone for organizing. I think we should do this more often! Glad I was able to record my demo in time :)

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

Awww I got the slowest time..... :(

at least u got to the exit :P
i kinda wasted last 10min thinking about what I had forgot... but well nvm ;p

Don't be so hard on yourselves, guys! With some very few exceptions, player standing on these constest tend to vary a lot!! It's not uncommon to see former winners of other FDC's to score "bad" exits on the upcoming ones, and vice-versa.

first attempt in recording knowing where to go lol
I wonder if its lucky to get the cyber at end moving directly outside like this time...
guess a rough 5min can be doable

07:04 uv-max

fdc10-704.zip

I've watched demos from places 2-6 and some results are not accurate?
Ribbiks = exactly 10:00 (edit: I guess some penalty added?)
cannonball = 5 deaths

Memfis, you were close to winning I think, the first ledge running led you almost to the end; OTOH Ribbiks and demonologist "should" have died once :-P

Yeah, I should've. And I played like shit, that's for sure. But at least it's a funny demo to watch, imagine a slumbering fly reluctantly playing Doom and you'll get the full picture. Anyway, this was quite entertaining, especially in terms of length, didn't feel like sitting 40 mins with trembling hands, so this map suits my current FDC agenda just well. And I've kinda awakened a bit after that. Thanks everyone, hope to see you rocking next time.

Menfis asked for this, so did this fda where you can see me getting lost all the time as always when I play maps that i don't know

Final time is 9:00 with 1 death.

fdcanc.zip

Memfis said:

The map was cool but a little too short for my taste. I think Cybermind's map from FDC8 was a lot more exciting: it was very long so I felt really accomplished when I finally managed to beat it after 50 minutes.

Yes, I agree, FDC#8 and Amok were better than FDCM10 for the contest. But I wanted to made fdcm10 as soon as possible, I made this map just in 4 days :) . If I will make a map for one of next contests, I will try to make a bigger map.

Plut said:

If I will make a map for one of next contests, I will try to make a bigger map.

Also hope that next map not to add in tricky parts(e.g Ledges Strafe, a lot of cybers & archviles, limited ammo & pickups etc.) if possible. I really like the music of this map. I wonder if you can use a song as a midi. Perhaps Mary Poppins/My Fair Lady/Sound of Music/Disney songs in midi version for the next FDC map.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

a lot of cybers & archviles, limited ammo & pickups etc.

Map for FDC must be difficult :) .

lovely map and the music makes it even better. monster edits fitting the winter landscape, and the manco's weapon looks more like a flamethrower.

newbie was certainly fast, only 1 minute something slower than blob's non-fda demo (he skipped the final fight, but anyway)

are the previous fda maps available for download somewhere? i get errors when trying to download them from the threads at iddqd.ru.

I think FDC should be a monthly event :) What do you guys think? Would it be possible?

And for the record, I had 3 deaths, not 2 as stated. I surely desired better luck on this!

Can't join you guys:(..thanks to electricity crisis here....
but my apprection is most for plut:)...for not just organizing but made an awesome map perfectly fit for such competition....

Rizera said:

I think FDC should be a monthly event :) What do you guys think? Would it be possible?

Well, really the only thing you need to organise a contest is a good wad, and that's the problem. :) I asked for "donations" both here and on the Russian forums but didn't receive anything, so in the end Plut had to make the map. "Not enough hype"? :) Maybe we should ask in the "Wads & Mods" forum next time?

Plut said:
Map for FDC must be difficult :) .

I think it would be better if there were two categories or something. Perhaps an UV and an HMP competition at once. For some people an easier map is boring, for others a harder map is too frustrating to ever have a chance to win. Any competitive activity usually has skill categories... at least, it's not a good idea to mix the Olympics and the Special Olympics :p

myk said:

Perhaps an UV and an HMP competition at once.

Similar ideas appeared before on our forums but they weren't popular... So, how many players would be interested in a "second league"?

Not all maps in previous FDCs have been that hard, but if they're going to be like the last two, I probably would. Also, if the contest is promoted with this information (as a news item on Doomworld, for example), people that haven't participated may be inclined to try their luck, more likely in the easier category.

In #9, I accidentally recorded in HMP due to a command line error, and ended with a time that was slower than some of the UV demos, and the difficulty difference wasn't trivial.

At least it's worth trying, I think, and if it doesn't catch on, it can be dropped. The mapper would only need to make sure the level has difficulty settings, which is generally a good idea and proper mapping etiquette, anyway.

This would even give room to make some of the hard maps even harder, with a proper warning, as people could choose the easier difficulty if they don't have the slaughtering power of TimeOfDeath, Heretic or Belial and the like.

Ok, we discussed it a bit and I think we'll try to let the players choose between UV and HMP next time. Will see how it goes. Do you think HMP should be significantly easier, maybe even oriented to people who never play FDA-style at all? Because it certainly would be cool to attract more "casual" players who don't even read this subforum.

Memfis said:
Do you think HMP should be significantly easier, maybe even oriented to people who never play FDA-style at all?

The difference should be significant enough but, from where I was coming from above, both should be skills for people with good or better movements, since the idea is to allow tough play for seasoned or top speedrunners without making it frustrating even for other experienced yet not-so-excellent players.

Let's say, HMP could be closer to UV in classic megawad, up to AV's challenge but not much more. UV can be clearly above that, with challenges that could more easily drive away a good number people in the community

To encourage people who are even more casual, it may be necessary to also allow them to choose HNTR.