Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Demongate Rubbish - Shovelware WAD reviews *video heavy*

I remember that map, probably first encountered it in a compilation episode/megawad but can't recall which one.

I will be doing shittier maps from the disc (copied to drive) so don't worry.

Just a note: playing the shittiest wads in Brutal Doom makes them look decent. You might want to play them in vanilla for the full terrible effect :P

MajorRawne said:

Just a note: playing the shittiest wads in Brutal Doom makes them look decent.

Hah. Yeah, provided you actually like how Brutal Doom looks and sounds.

MajorRawne said:

Just a note: playing the shittiest wads in Brutal Doom makes them look decent.

It's quite the opposite actually.

There are already a number who do terrible maps without the mod, I want to be one of the few who do it with Brutal Doom (Thejoshman too) to stand out from the other crap map reviewers.

DeimosComaBlack and NiTROACTiVE are both big influences that got me interested.

MajorRawne said:

Just a note: playing the shittiest wads in Doom Expanded makes them look decent. You might want to play them in vanilla for the full terrible effect :P

I know right?

Surely some people have seen this elsewhere other than Demongate CD.

Mr. Chris said:

Surely some people have seen this elsewhere other than Demon Gate Mega Collection CD.

Yep - 3D Game Alchemy, Enhancements, Instant Doom Levels, Total Ruin, Tricks of the Doom Programming Gurus and probably a couple of other disks I haven't checked yet. It's also in the archive, hidden inside an embedded .zip file. The first release of DooM Object Placer also contains a Doom 2 version of the wad.

@Urban Space Cowboy: I used OPL so it gives more of an oldschool feeling of the mid 90s, which the majority if not all maps were made in (1994-1996).

I've a question for the viewers here: Should I turn off texture filtering to give it a pixely software look?

Ah, this shit. Playing through a barrage of WAD's; one hell of a summer for me :)

I wonder if any of the levels you play in Demon Gate will coincide with any from Maximum Doom. Some of these look interesting and I honestly don't even know if I encountered any of these yet in Demon Gate Mega Collection*

*Greyghost: I'm about halfway through Demon Gate Mega Collection. It's not... healthy.

On an slightly unrelated note, I ordered D!Zone Gold 3000 from Amazon for more craptastic levels that likely won't be on my D!Zone 2 or Demongate level directories.

Mr. Chris said:

I used OPL so it gives more of an oldschool feeling of the mid 90s, which the majority if not all maps were made in (1994-1996).

Wasn't there a better encoder around then which Doom was meant for while a lot of people still had opl compatibilty? Because if it was true then I don't understand why people now use a lesser encoder for nostalgia rather than what Doom was made for simply because they were stuck with it around the time Doom was released.

Gez said:

What do you mean by encoder?

Encoder was probably the wrong word for what I'm trying to talk about, I can't think of the right word.