Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

Enhancement mod for EDGE (yet another release)

Well, after almost a year of on-and-off development (and a few incarnations before that) it is finally finished, at least I hope so.

It is an Doom enhancement mod. Another one, but this time for EDGE. Employing many of the features and advantages of the engine. It requires EDGE 1.35 (edge.sourceforge.net), just unzip the contents and use one of the included .BAT files.

NOTABLE FEATURES:

* All new weapon sprites with smoother animations and with a consistent tech-type look.
* More complex weapon mechanics, among other things a kick is used as secondary attack for ranged weapons that lack their own.
* Chainsaw acts and sounds more like a real chainsaw, complete with the off chance of it failing and stalling in the midst of combat. Not to mention a wicked second attack.
* Five new weapons implemented:

- Rifle as dropped by the zombiemen, very accurate and with a scope allowing for some sniper action.
- Chaingun as dropped by zombie commando, original chaingun replaced with machinegun. This chaingun acts more like a real one. Very powerful.
- Unmaker - The unholy abomination mentioned in the (in)famous Doom bible, replaces the Dead Lost Soul (thing 23).
- On occasion when gibbing an Imp he will leave his fireball spewing and clawing arm behind as a weapon for use. Primary & secondary attacks.
- Mancubus arm gun - Like the Imp, the Mancubus will on occasion drop one of his big guns upon death. Not very useful though.

* Enemies have a wide array of death animations, some more gruesome and bloody than others. Most of which depend on the weapon type used.
Enemies will among other things be decapitated, ripped apart, gutted, splattered, crushed, set aflame and melted.
* Many enemies have extended/improved attack animations and methods, but projectile speed and damage remain mostly untouched for balance.
* Flying blood, guts and gore ("Flying gibs") complete with a large supply of sound effects to accommodate this.
* More realistic looking explosions with shrapnel and debris.
* Almost every decoration can be interacted with in one way or another: bodies can be splattered, barrels can be pushed around, lamps can be turned on and off, etc.
* Ambiance sounds (torches flickering, lamps humming, flies buzzing over corpses, etc.). Makes the environment seem more living.
* Extended usage and improvement of dynamic lightning.
* Shells and ammo boxes have been split into several parts allowing the player to only pick up what he/she needs and leave the rest for later.
* New more modern HUD display but with an old-school type feel. Doomguy face is still used and now actually works correctly (it didn't originally in EDGE).
* Almost every enemy now has its own unique sound set, most of these are of higher quality than the originals.
* Just about every single item has its own unique pickup sound.
* Lots and lots of cool visual effects, fixes, improvements and extensions. Almost nothing has been left untouched.
* In keeping with the old-school style of Doom there are no hi-res or true color sprites, everything is in standard resolution using the stock Doom palette.

DOWNLOAD (release candidate 4)
Standard version: http://www.mediafire.com/?dbpnxqjtrv4hfz2
Lite version (no HQ music): http://www.mediafire.com/?pwxg5ef5ufc1am2

CHANGES:
- Fixed a slight mistake with the Plasma Gun firing cycle.
- Once again, the Zombie and IMP special deaths have been re-worked. Now they will respawn/resurrect, tested on Nightmare skill.

This rocks! Very nice to see another EDGE mod released...need more of these. Also, I did test this out in 1.36+ and it plays fine.

Thank you very much, couldn't agree more. EDGE needs more mods. I increased the player speed a notch (to compensate for EDGE being slow) and that combined with just about everything being shootable makes it more like an action movie. I also tried to make the weapons appear more powerful. It's fast and brutal but the difficulty remains mostly the same, I found the stock levels fully playable.

There are a few quirks or bugs that I am aware of, but these are minor and will probably go unnoticed. Also all special objects and projectiles (blood, gibs, debris, etc.) will vanish after a short period of time. This is for obvious reasons, to prevent slow down and keep the game going as fast as possible.

A short credit list:

id Software
Raven Software
Eriance
David G.
JoyeTD
Blox
Don Tello/Corry Whitle
Shane Strife

And to anyone else I might have forgotten, you know how you are.

It's nice to see a mod as complete as this for Edge that you can play through the vanilla episodes with. The improved music also nicely side-steps the midi volume issue in later versions of Windows.

I just have a few quibbles (although some of them might just be part of the design):

-The red haze effect of the berserk power-up stays visible for the duration of the level. It makes things rather hard to see, especially in darker areas.

-The fall damage is a bit annoying in some of the vanilla maps where falling is hard to avoid (the staggered lifts in map09 of Doom 2, for example).

-Weapons automatically switch sometimes, even with this option disabled in Edge. Seems to happen sporadically. Running out of ammo also causes the marine to switch to his fists.

-The spread of the chaingun seems a bit too wide, even in short-mid range. I understand this is to balance out its power and rate of fire, but the wind-up and recoil also do this to a degree.

Otherwise, I really like what you've done with this enhancement.

Comreak said:

-The red haze effect of the berserk power-up stays visible for the duration of the level. It makes things rather hard to see, especially in darker areas.

Wait, you sure? I am pretty sure the red haze disappears but the berserk mode remains for the duration of the level. The berserk mechanism is quite complex and involves quite a bit of code and hacking. I'll look into it. Think it needs some further cleaning.

Comreak said:

-The fall damage is a bit annoying in some of the vanilla maps where falling is hard to avoid (the staggered lifts in map09 of Doom 2, for example).

Yeah, I did think about it but the damage you inflict from an average fall is so little.

Comreak said:

-Weapons automatically switch sometimes, even with this option disabled in Edge. Seems to happen sporadically.

That is odd. Could you be a little more detailed, when did this happen and what weapon ran out and which weapons did it switch to. Did you have berserk mode at this point.

Comreak said:

Running out of ammo also causes the marine to switch to his fists.

This happens when the player is in berserk mode. The fists are actually replaced with a different set of fists which have the highest priority of all the weapons.

Comreak said:

-The spread of the chaingun seems a bit too wide, even in short-mid range. I understand this is to balance out its power and rate of fire, but the wind-up and recoil also do this to a degree.

I am pretty sure the spread is exactly the same as in the original but I'll have a look.

Comreak said:

Otherwise, I really like what you've done with this enhancement.

Thank you!

RELEASE CANDIDATE 2 !

standard version: http://www.mediafire.com/?2y1zghuorj12zrc
Lite version (no HQ music): http://www.mediafire.com/?aukdaciqcwduabj

CHANGES:
- Added a time limit for the floating power-up sparkle/glitter thing, so it'll vansih after a short time.
- Improved fist sprites by Blox. A less flat and more detailed look.
- Made some changes to the players chaingun attack and select states.
- Corrected a mistake in the TNT: Evolution scripts where the chainsaws primary attack would cause enemies to go into their "split death".
- Added blood spurt to the Archviles headshot death. Must have missed that one.
- A flashlight added, slot number 1. Downside is that it requires dynamic light to work. Tried other ways, but none really turned out that good.
- Replaced the firing sound of the plasma gun with a less wimpy one. The idea is to make the weapons feel more powerful.
- Max fall before taking damage decreased from 20 to 18.
- Baron/Hell knight ranged attacks now trigger flame death, if the creature has one otherwise normal death. Thought I already did this.
- (hopefully) fixed a bug with some of the enemy deaths. The animation wouldn't finish until or if they spot the player. So if shot from a distance and/or without seeing their attacker, their death animation wouldn't play all the way through until the player comes into their view.
- The super shotgun no longer has an actual clipsize, no need for it since it reloads after every shot. This prevents it from being treated as a clip weapon.
- Spread of the chaingun shot decreased.
- Berserk mode improved, now works on a time limit. In the original game the berserk mode lasts for the duration of the level, to compensate i've made the fists inflict even more damage when in berserk mode.
- Select sound for the fists re-instated.

Getting a "Permission Denied" error on the version that includes music. Tried the lite version, but it seems to disable the high-quality music when you copy over the new files.

Edit://
Well, I've nothing to complain about anymore with this latest release, looking good. I played to Map09 of Doom 2, and I haven't had that weapon-switching issue again, either.

Edit2://
From below:

CeeJay said:

Here's what you can do: Replace all files from release candidate 2 (lite) except the PLAYLIST.DDF file(s) (doomenh\scripts\#). Just make sure you have the \music subfolder in \doomenh.

Thanks, worked like a charm. No need to re-download the larger standard version this way.

My apologies, for one reason or another mediafire decided to make the file copyrighted.

Trying to fix it but having problem opening the mediafire page. Visually there isn't much difference between the two versions and the first didn't have any severe bugs so in the mean time you could download the first one.

BTW, the reason the music is not included in the lite version is the whole point of the lite version. It does not include the HQ music. The mod is about 9MBs (with the majority of that being the sound effects) without the music and 128MBs with the music. That is why I split it into two versions. The music is the only difference between the two versions, replacing the standard version with the lite version will replace/omit the music and vice versa.

Here's what you can do: Replace all files from release candidate 2 (lite) except the PLAYLIST.DDF file(s) (doomenh\scripts\#). Just make sure you have the \music subfolder in \doomenh.

After this newest release, zombies and imps don't fall over when you kick or shoot them while they are suffering and incapacitated from fatal wounds. Used to enjoy doing that. Plus, they still obstruct your path when they are in that state, so it's useful to be able to get them out of the way.

Comreak said:

After this newest release, zombies and imps don't fall over when you kick or shoot them while they are suffering and incapacitated from fatal wounds. Used to enjoy doing that. Plus, they still obstruct your path when they are in that state, so it's useful to be able to get them out of the way.

@Comreak - have you tested this out in 1.36, or are you using stock 1.35? Anything strange in 1.36? I'm getting ready to roll out the final version which fixes some pretty nasty bugs (multiplayer, message writing, etc) but I'd like to see if this is working good with it as-is.

Comreak said:

It is a feature I've found pretty cool aswell but I had to sacrifice it in order for other things to work correctly. When the monsters have died from this state they wouldn't respawn or get ressurected. My first and foremost priority is making sure everything works. I will try and see if I can reinstate this feature in a different manner somehow.

CeeJay said:

What nasty bugs? And do you mean you are, yourself, working on this? If so, you are welcome to do so as I've been pretty much solo on this project but please inform me of all and any changes made.

No, no - I'm quite sorry for the mixup here, but I'm working on 3DGE - I loosely referred to it as such (those listed are bugs in the engine, not your game), and didn't realize what I said could have caused confusion. I wanted to be sure your mod ran well with 1.36, because I'm planning on releasing a final [port] soon. Sorry again.

Yeah, I realized that after my original post. I really should read properly before reacting first.

Just noticed that the zombies and IMPs still won't respawn on nightmare skill so I will need to do the whole thing in a different way. Unfortunally, this still won't allow the player to shoot them. As far as I can figure there is no way I can make that happen and still have them respawn/resurrect.

That is sad. Because when they fall on their knees, they still absorb bullets, preventing you from hitting anyone behind them.