Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

Doom2 v1.92 - no more visplanes and drawsegs overflows

Map22 of standard DOOM II? Make sure you have the latest, 6th release. I'm saying because I recall a case where someone was downloading an older (buggy) version because some browser incompatibility lead to the wrong download page.

Ya I am using the 6th release and I followed the instructions on how to use deusf on scythe2.wad but I got the error when I tried to run the dehacked version of scythe2.

Not sure what's up but I can think of one possible issue:

DeuSF relies on DOOMWADDIR, and when it does so, it tries to use DOOM before DOOM II. If you use that and have both WADs in the same folder, rename doom.wad to something else while patching.

Oh right, now I remember. That is caused by the music lump. Replace it with the one I've attached in the WAD, or you can add it to the command line (-file scythe2.wad d_ddtbl3.lmp).

d_ddtbl3.zip

Thanks! It works. However, except that map30 Scythe 2 is still unplayable.

Also, the gameplay feels very slow when running some maps in Kama Sutra, like map28, map29, and map31 for instance.

Is there a way to make it play like normal? Even when I record videos with the DosBox video codec it feels even slower. How do I avoid this?

Any ideas?

Map 30 won't work due to the BLOCKMAP size. As for the slowness, that depends on processing power and RAM. DOSBox acts like some kind of Pentium depending on your system specs, so some of the larger maps or ones with many monsters may require a powerful system. For those, you might be better off using PrBoom+ with -complevel 2 and vanilla visuals, which would feed directly on your full system specs.

LingtheDoomGuy said:

Also, the gameplay feels very slow when running some maps in Kama Sutra, like map28, map29, and map31 for instance.

Is there a way to make it play like normal? Even when I record videos with the DosBox video codec it feels even slower. How do I avoid this?

Any ideas?

Have you tried the heapsize hack?

Anyways, does any one have a visplanes/drawsegs/SAVEGAMESIZE/ect increase hack for Final Doom like Entryway has 1.92.x for Doom and Doom II? I'm playing vanilla Plutonia II and map 32 is giving me visplanes errors and some other maps have some graphical glitches.

Archy said:

Anyways, does any one have a visplanes/drawsegs/SAVEGAMESIZE/ect increase hack for Final Doom like Entryway has 1.92.x for Doom and Doom II? I'm playing vanilla Plutonia II and map 32 is giving me visplanes errors and some other maps have some graphical glitches.

myk said:

Back during PL2 development there were people asking for a Final Doom+. You never did that because it implied having to tediously "port" the whole plus hack to the Final executable. Wouldn't importing the teleport bug into the Ultimate Doom+ be a much easier way to get a "Doom+ -compleve 4" executable? Could you do that?

If you can do that, I'm going to push for a PL2 bugfix session and provide an alternative PL2 DeHackEd patch with Plutonia as a PWAD, as this would take care of the few VPO issues, which are harder to fix than a faulty monsters teleporter or the like.

entryway wrote on 07-28-10 04:35:
Then you can patch doomp.exe in this way:

D:\games\Doom2>fc DOOMP.EXE DOOMP_2.EXE /b
Comparing files DOOMP.EXE and DOOMP_2.EXE
00074272: 89 90
00074273: 42 90
00074274: 14 90

Thank you Myk and Entryway, this will come to great use.

Everything works well except this:

THING name file cannot be opened!

Welcome to DeHackEd v3.1 

Written by Greg Lewis, email at [REMOVED].
Vital Doom exe specs written by Matt Fell.
Special thanks to iD for creating such a wonderful game!

Checking for c:\DTHIS\fdoom.exe...   found!Checking for c:\DTHIS\PLUTONIA.WAD...   found!Checking for c:\DTHIS\PL2.EXE...   found!
Loading patch file:  PL2.DEH
Line 30: Unmatchable text string.
Line 31: Unknown line.
Line 43: Unmatchable text string.
Line 44: Invalid single word line.
Line 65: Unmatchable text string.
Line 66: Unknown line.
Line 91: Unmatchable text string.
Line 92: Unknown line.
Line 100: Unmatchable text string.
Line 101: Invalid single word line.
Line 107: Unmatchable text string.
Line 108: Invalid single word line.
Line 143: Unmatchable text string.
Line 146: Unmatchable text string.
Line 149: Unmatchable text string.
Line 152: Unmatchable text string.
Line 155: Unmatchable text string.
Line 158: Unmatchable text string.
Line 161: Unmatchable text string.
Line 164: Unmatchable text string.
Line 167: Unmatchable text string.
Line 170: Unmatchable text string.
Line 173: Unmatchable text string.
Line 176: Unmatchable text string.
Line 179: Unmatchable text string.
Line 182: Unmatchable text string.
Line 185: Unmatchable text string.
Line 188: Unmatchable text string.
Line 191: Unmatchable text string.
Line 194: Unmatchable text string.
Line 197: Unmatchable text string.
Line 200: Unmatchable text string.
Line 203: Unmatchable text string.
Line 206: Unmatchable text string.
Line 209: Unmatchable text string.
Line 212: Unmatchable text string.
Line 215: Unmatchable text string.
Line 218: Unmatchable text string.
Line 221: Unmatchable text string.
Line 224: Unmatchable text string.
Line 227: Unmatchable text string.
Line 230: Unmatchable text string.
Line 233: Unmatchable text string.
Line 236: Unmatchable text string.
Line 239: Unmatchable text string.
Patch file read, one or more errors detected.
Not that text matters that much though...

Anyways, will this be perfectly compatible with -COMPLEVEL 4? I watched a 11:53 TAS run of the whole game by Akse and it played back fine. Just want to be sure though before I spent hours trying to brake records.

Also, Just out of curiosity, is there a heapsize hack for Ultimate Doom? I don't need it but I was just wondering.

Archy said:
Everything works well except this:
[DeHackEd errors]
Not that text matters that much though...

I've attached a patch for v1.9u.

Anyways, will this be perfectly compatible with -COMPLEVEL 4?

I've only seen desynchs between v1.9u and v1.9f (or complevels 3 and 4) that depended on the teleporter difference.

pl2p.zip

@myk
After typing in this:

PL2.EXE -FILE PLUTONIA.WAD PL2.WAD -WARP 09 -SKILL 4
This happened:
W_GetNumForName: d_jp_tor not found!
This only happens when your DeHacked patch is applied, not the one supplied with PL2.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Archy said:

Thank you.

@entryway

Why don't you post Final Doom+ here so that people like me don't have to find some obscure hack fir Ultimate Doom? Here's the executable.

Was there more differences besides the teleporter bug in final doom?

Umm, what do you mean? The executable I linked to has the teleporter bug as you stated, plus increased visplanes, drawsegs, samegamesize, activeplats, vissprites, linespeciallist, and openings just as the v1.92 executables supplied by entryway do.

This is a patched Ultimate Doom 1.92.2, with the teleporter bug added, and there are no other changes made in Final Doom than the teleporter bug -- at least changes that affect demo compatibility.

myk said:

I've only seen desynchs between v1.9u and v1.9f (or complevels 3 and 4) that depended on the teleporter difference.

Archy said:
@myk
After typing in this:

PL2.EXE -FILE PLUTONIA.WAD PL2.WAD -WARP 09 -SKILL 4
This happened:
W_GetNumForName: d_jp_tor not found!
This only happens when your DeHacked patch is applied, not the one supplied with PL2.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Ah, my copy of the WAD has some yet-unreleased updates in the resources. That's a new track meant for v1.1.

d_jp_tor.zip

Saves still crash with alien vendetta. Have to use chocolate-doom. Saved games in chocolate-doom then tried using it with Doom+ but sometimes it crashes (especially when saving). Any way to work around this?

Holering said:

Saves still crash with alien vendetta. Have to use chocolate-doom. Saved games in chocolate-doom then tried using it with Doom+ but sometimes it crashes (especially when saving). Any way to work around this?

If the total save size is above the raised Doom+ SAVEGAME limit of 2883584 bytes, there's nothing that can be done. Heretic fixed this by using dynamic memory allocation while saving games (still not an optimal solution, when memory is limited), while Doom actually reuses the portion of memory allocated to the screen buffers (!) for this job. The only real solution would be to have a 100% direct-to-disk streamed, recursive saving.

save_p = savebuffer = screens[1]+0x4000; 
This means that a "lot" of memory (2883584 bytes) is wasted during normal gameplay just to hold the screen buffers alone in Doom+ (the screens actually occupy only 64K each), unless there's something else to it.