Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paar

New E1M3

Hi FreeDoom team! I love your work so I thought I could contribute. When I played through Ultimate Doom variation of FreeDoom I noticed that map E1M3 was largely unfinished. So I began to make my own vanilla version of it. I used only resources from shareware episode becase I wanted to be as close to the original as possible. The layout is similar and the level has a hidden exit to E1M9. I don't know if you'll use it, but I'd be glad. I put a lot work into it. Enjoy!

E1M3 download

FreeDoom FTP link

1. I would remove the two unusable doors; sectors 227 and 251. They seemed out of place in a map that tries to stay reasonably faithful to ID's maps.

2. Along those lines, I would replace the bars in sector 177 with a window.

3. Consider trying to add a window of some sort between sectors 58 and 254. So the player might have some idea that the east door opens.

4. It might be more iconic and aesthetically pleasing to have the bridge to the secret exit area be straight and connect to linedef 114 instead of 965.

5. Consider removing sector 4 and putting the start room there? Or move the secret exit entrance there; the point being sector 4 is far more visible from the start than sector 202.

6. Sector 173; I thought that I had missed a secret and I could get there. Consider maybe moving secret sector 85 to there?

7. Consider changing the trigger on line 762 to a switch on line 872 and making the passage up there into a secret door, to catch the eye of eagle eyed players?

8. The Blue Key pens were very ineffective due to the small sizes and locations. Consider moving them both around nearer the lifts and adding windows on lines 544 and 546, so they can see the player in advance of going back up the lifts.

9. Consider putting the Blue Key on a lowering platform instead of having the bars?

Thanks Paar and thanks to Vermil for the review. I have to say this is a good map and I enjoyed playing it.

However, it is a pretty obvious remake of Doom's E1M3. It's not exactly the same, but there is more than enough similarity to remove any doubt.¹

I think the idea is to try and avoid adding in yet more obvious remakes. There are far too many already.

———
¹ If you don't load the map with freedoom's iwad - as I did at first - you might find yourself wondering if it has loaded at all...☺

Ignore that, it's been decided to use the map anyway (see also)

I will wait a few days to see if Paar has any response to Vermil's review but otherwise I'll just commit it.

I never intended to do a remake of the original E1M3, just wanted to be inspired by it. There are many new locations that have nothing to do with the original. Anyway, I decided to do some reworks as a response to Vermil's "complaints" (most of them are open-minded and I like them) and to further differentiate the map from the original. Give me a few days and I'll submit a new version. Thanks for all your responses!

Just tried it out. It's a really nice level. Regarding similarity it seems absolutely fine to me. I don't think there's any issue there.

I'm the author of the current E1M3. I'll be sad to see it go but I can't really complain as I've totally dropped the ball in finishing it off.

Ok then... Here's the new version: MediaFire Link
I couldn't connect to the FTP server so I'd be glad if someone else could upload it instead of me.
There are numerous changes to the map - including difficulty balancing, retexturing and minor layout rebuilding. I think it's final now but there could still be some problems like missing/wrong texture or misplaced item. Just let me know and I'll fix it. It's hard to keep an eye for everything.
I hope you'll like the changes!

EDIT: Did some minor improvements, now it's final version (link is updated).

Paar said:

Ok then... Here's the new version: MediaFire Link
[...]
EDIT: Did some minor improvements, now it's final version (link is updated).

This is in now, I forgot about it before. Sorry about that.

Hi everyone. I let my friend play the map and together we found bunch of new problems, like item misplacement or bad texture alignment etc. So I fixed those.

Here's the link to the new version: MediaFire link

I'd be glad if you could update the level in the project too. Have a nice day!