Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Superrpgman

Whohoo! Finally beat the original Doom!(SPOILERS!)

Spoiler Waring: Unless you have beaten E3 of Doom, you may not want to read this, as I am about describe the last parts of the game.

I finally got myself to beat Doom, a game I've been playing off and on for quite a while!

So to start off, when I last played I was at e6, looking for the secret level. I found it in about 15 or so minutes.

I notice right away that the bonus level looked like a modified version of E3M1, only it ended up leading me to yet another cyberdemon, and the way this little "arena" was set up, it was a lot harder to take cover. I probably kept getting killed for over a half hour before noticing the green ball, making me temporarily invulnerable, which made the boss considerably easier, even though it wore off a minute or so before I killed him, and I was left with way more rocket boxes than I needed, which was pretty cool!

Anyways, the next to last level was easily the hardest of all of E3. Thankfully, I found the blue +100 health ball, and he vlue armor, and decided to save them till I found the exit, which took me a while since I couldn't find the switch that created the bridge to the exit.

So yeah, fully armed with all ammo save for the chaingun, and with full health and max armor I headed into the last level.

I went out of my way to concentrate on the final level music for bit. It...wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't anything special, especially compared E1M1.

I looked for any final secrets in the hallway at the beginning, but I didn't find anything, not that I really needed them at this point, and I pulled out my BFG, a weapon I had specifically been saving for the area. Without thinking, I ended up using about 3 shots of the weapon on a few cacodemons, and then found the last boss, which turned out to be a...giant robot spider?!!! Anyways, he turned out be the easiest boss in the game, as all I had to do was charge and shoot him with the BFG about 8 or so times. I think I still had about enough ammo to shoot the gun at least 6 more times when I killed him, and my thought were "That's it? Seriously?!!!!"

The ending of course left on a cliffhanger, which, correct me if I'm wrong, basically points out that you stopped demons from attack the planet earth...or did you! The beat the game music pretty disappointing too,

Anyways, other than the last 15 minutes or so of the game, I had a lot of fun with Doom, so I have to say that I highly recommend this game to anyone who's into first person shooters.

Oh, and technically, since I'm playing ULTIMATE Doom, I still have one more episode left to go, but until I do that, I'd like to try out a few user generated maps for the original Doom, preferably ones that are short, easy, and have little to no puzzle solving. But I think I'll ask for that in another topic.

Oh, and if you want my thought on E1 and 2, check them out here:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/59455-beat-the-first-episode-of-doom-1/

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/62550-finally-beat-epsode-2-of-doom/

I leave this intro post reminding you guys of two things:

For those who would ask the question "Are you for real?" I don't know what to say other than that yes, this post is 100% genuine. I've liked this game for a while, but I go back and forth between this and different games.

Oh, and yes, other then the recent BFG Edition, as far as I know I have access to every single Doom game.

The green ball is an Invulnerability Sphere, the blue one is a Soul Sphere. The final boss is a Spider Mastermind. They're wienies compared to a Cyberdemon, if you ask me.

I always thought the E3M8 music was pretty rad D:

Anyways, cool to hear the thoughts of a first-time winner of Doom.

Thanks!

And yeah, well, the spider may have been harder if I wasn't so prepared for him. the second CyberDemon was the hardest fight in the game, as I had no idea that he was going to show up.

This is priceless.

I'm genuinely happy that people continue to enjoy this game. Your sincere glee reminds me of my first time almost 20 years ago, when I was really little. Its a feeling you never really forget.

Superrpgman said:

Oh, and technically, since I'm playing ULTIMATE Doom, I still have one more episode left to go...

Fair word of warning: E4 is much more difficult than E1/2/3 so be prepared for a lot more hellspawn, some damn cool level design :)

Glad you've been having fun with the game we all love so much.

SoM said:

Fair word of warning: E4 is much more difficult than E1/2/3 so be prepared for a lot more hellspawn, some damn cool level design :)

Glad you've been having fun with the game we all love so much.

ZOMG SoM!

Superrpgman said:

Spoiler Waring: Unless you have beaten E3 of Doom, you may not want to read this, as I am about describe the last parts of the game.

This is about the cutest post in ages! Srsly needs to be stickied. Thanks for sharing Superrpgman, this is a special day in posterity.

Oh, and your experience of the end level was very similar to mine. I was very disappointed, feeling let down. But my overall experience of the game more than made up for a lackluster ending. It's really remarkable that somehow you managed to avoid any spoilers after all these years. Hats off to you, you deserve some kind of medal of virginity.

A lot of people don't like it, but I love episode 4. Like people have said, it's tougher than any of the others. And the first level is the hardest. e4m2 and e4m6 are my favorite levels in the whole game, maybe including Doom 2. Both have cyberdemons. :)

The spider mastermind.... I don't like them. The cyberdemon is tough because there's almost no margin for error. Spider mastermind is tough because you can't dodge at all and I don't like that.

qoncept said:

A lot of people don't like it, but I love episode 4. Like people have said, it's tougher than any of the others. And the first level is the hardest. e4m2 and e4m6 are my favorite levels in the whole game, maybe including Doom 2. Both have cyberdemons. :)

The spider mastermind.... I don't like them. The cyberdemon is tough because there's almost no margin for error. Spider mastermind is tough because you can't dodge at all and I don't like that.

The problem with E4 there are too many weak points that just make the thing feel overall like an unthought through mess, despite the strong showings by Romero.

Superrpgman said:

I died about 3 times before realizing that there were a bunch of spectres around me. I died about 5 times before realizing that the rockets that I had been saving for the boss/es are able to damage me as well.

Priceless!!! Man, few things have come along the forums as rich as this.

Superrpgman said:

The beat the game music pretty disappointing too

I think this was intentionally done (assuming you mean this music) because the character more or less realizes earth is already fucked.

Personally I think it's a fantastic piece. Sorry about the spider mastermind though... he's a bit of a let down.

Glad you enjoyed! =) After you finish Doom 2, check out some of the ten billion megadwads!

8 shots with a BFG and you're disappointed? Well, I'll tell you something good. The Spider Mastermind dies in 1 if you fire it at point-blank range.

Have fun with Thy Flesh Consumed :)

eargosedown said:

I think this was intentionally done (assuming you mean this music) because the character more or less realizes earth is already fucked.

Personally I think it's a fantastic piece. Sorry about the spider mastermind though... he's a bit of a let down.

D_Victory is one of my favorite tracks in the whole game. Maybe he means the music that plays at the very end when the camera pans and THE END gets shot up?

Hell yeah, the end music is freakin' awesome! The little cutesy children's flute melody spiralling into a hateful anthem... priceless.

For those who would ask the question "Are you for real?" I don't know what to say other than that yes, this post is 100% genuine.

WE SALUTE YOU, MARINE!
You cannot be blamed for the fate of late birth.

On the ease of the last level/boss: I think that id was determined that Doom not be too hard of a game, and I think underestimated the final boss' easiness for the players. id wanted Doom to be accessible to all gamers, from system requirements, all the way down to difficulty. I feel that this is why they made Doom II so much harder, with a nearly impossible last level to boot.

bimlanders said:

On the ease of the last level/boss: I think that id was determined that Doom not be too hard of a game, and I think underestimated the final boss' easiness for the players. id wanted Doom to be accessible to all gamers, from system requirements, all the way down to difficulty. I feel that this is why they made Doom II so much harder, with a nearly impossible last level to boot.

Nearly impossible you say... what can be said of Evil Itself or In Threes, then?