Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thorgrim103

Is id Software slowly dying off?

I'd rather see an actual sequel to the Heretic franchise over a remake. They have four entries following the same timeline already, might as well continue it. Maybe some big mega Skyrim like thing where all the serpent riders and their sub boss pets return all resurrected by some wizard guy, and all the monsters from all the games are put into one game. Maybe either one guy goes around to kill everything, or better yet bring back the HeXen classes, Corvus, Baratus, mix and macth, I dunno.

I'd rather just see a sequel, though a remake is more likely.

With that said, I want Action Forms (Or Tatem now I guess) to bring back Chasm The Rift and Carnivores (And not just in the style of an i/OS game like they've been doing), and for God's sake Power Slave's shit needs to be sorted out. At least get the PSOne classic on the PSN store.

So what if they haven't or don't release anything groundbreaking. Why are you so attached to them, unless you own stocks in the company or something... I have no allegiance to any corp, not even the ones I work for (as an employee or contractor, I'm 100% expendable).

_bruce_ said:

They aren't teenagers anymore and the wheel has been invented.

That doesn't make what I said any less correct. It may explain it, but I never said that there wasn't an explanation. ;)

I think they're just busy making Doom 4 and keeping things quiet for a little bit. For now though, we can all enjoy Doom 3: BFG Edition.

I think they need new management, because they've surely made a lot of stupid decisions. No cybersport support for Quake 3, remaking Quake 2 when the market was already saturated with "dark rooms of shinny metal" games, like Prey, Riddick, Doom 3, FEAR. Also, the game had worse looking skyboxes than Quake 2, that's an achievement. Then they put health regen into Wolfenstein and decided to charge money for Quake 3 with social features. No more NIN. Making RAGE when there already were Fallout 3 and Borderlands.

Seems like they also have forgotten about their other franchises, like Commander Keen. Compare that to Valve who started actively buy out mods and turn them into successful franchises. Is it so hard to remake a Commander Keen game?

Bethesda is a shitty developer, but Zenimax know how to do business. I remember that it's their intervention saved Call of Cthulhu: Dark corners of the Earth from becoming a vaporware.

Being a private company, id can have whatever management they want. They don't need anything else as long as they're happy what they're doing and making money to pay the bills. They don't owe anybody anything. Now they've been bought by Zenimax they will have somewhat less autonomy anyway.

They started making RAGE before there were Fallout 3 and Borderlands. Besides, the fault in their games isn't the setting; it's the gameplay.

Bethesda is awesome for daring to make stuff like The Elder Scrolls games. They just need to take some hints from Obsidian on the execution of their games.

Quake 2 skyboxes looked worse than Q3A and TA skyboxes, they were all ugly with the grainy look.

Also as for Bethesda, they're turning their Elder Scrolls series into a dumbed down to CoD level franchise, the newest one only got all the praise from the newbies to the series and a lot of old gameplay mechanics were done worse than the previous games and some of the new ones were rushed and done wrong. A lot of the new stuff put into it was stuff Dragon Age Origins had for example: regen health after battle, children but as only one race, renaming claymore to greatsword, the dragons, the dual weilding, having npcs only say set things when you click on them and not engaging into full conversation, etc. It's obvious they wanted to stop the sp part of the series at Oblivion and wanted to do an MMO straight away but for some reason decided to make a rushed to hell sequal meant for noobs before the MMO.

Quake II is ugly as sin. When you turn on hardware rendering you get too much orange instead of too much brown.

I find every TES game to be deeply flawed. Even though I spent hundreds of hours in all of them I usually get to the point where I won't play them without installing a giant load of complicated mods. Now the main game I look forward to is DaggerXL.

Harmata said:

remaking Quake 2 when the market was already saturated with "dark rooms of shinny metal" games, like Prey, Riddick, Doom 3, FEAR. Also, the game had worse looking skyboxes than Quake 2, that's an achievement.

I'm tempted to sound somewhat hypocritical to the rants in my posts from the previous page, but if they really really really insisted on remaking a title within the Quake series then they should've chosen to remake Quake 1 instead of choosing to remake Quake 2, because...
Simply because Quake 1 was the most ugliest, uncolourful, and angular environment that I've ever seen on my screen. It was ugly to such a point that it only survived a half-hour of my attention before being shunned forever. Blech.

Look at all these graphics whores.

They started making RAGE before there were Fallout 3 and Borderlands.

And they should've freeze it, like Croteam froze that stupid military shooter and used its assets for SS3.

Besides, the fault in their games isn't the setting; it's the gameplay.

Post-apocalyptic desert was done to death at that point, it definitely didn't contributed to the game's success. Health regen again, and really lazy job with bosses. Really.

Bethesda is awesome for daring to make stuff like The Elder Scrolls games.

Daring? They've been making these hiking simulators from the early 90s. Ability to mod in 1000+ sex mods also helps boost popularity.

Quake 2 skyboxes looked worse than Q3A and TA skyboxes, they were all ugly with the grainy look.

But they were creating great landscapes and sense of space. Q4's failed at that, and were blurry.
Edit: hey wait a second, what are you even talking about, of course Quake 2 skyboxes looked worse than those from Quake 3, Q3 was released later. Hence the number 3, duh, bro.

Harmata said:

Seems like they also have forgotten about their other franchises, like Commander Keen. Compare that to Valve who started actively buy out mods and turn them into successful franchises. Is it so hard to remake a Commander Keen game?

Have you ever visited the super secret level in Doom II? Keen is dead.

Tom Hall was the only member of Id Software who really liked Commander Keen. It was his baby. And Hall got kicked out of Id Software.

Harmata said:

Post-apocalyptic desert was done to death at that point, it definitely didn't contributed to the game's success.

I'm a little sick of that theme in games too, but it's not id's fault that a bunch of similarly-themed games that took less time to make were released before Rage.

188DarkRevived said:

Quake 1 was the most ugliest, uncolourful, and angular environment that I've ever seen on my screen. It was ugly to such a point that it only survived a half-hour of my attention before being shunned forever. Blech.

And yet it was incredibly successful back in the day, and there were always tons of players on Quake servers 24 hours a day. But maybe like vanilla DOOM, it just doesn't appeal to younger players who are used to OpenGL highres stuff with fancy bloom and other effects. I still enjoy it to this day, ever since my first experience with qtest, even though it ran slow as mollasses on my 486DX/33. :-)

but it's not id's fault that a bunch of similarly-themed games that took less time to make were released before Rage

They should pay attention to what's happening on the market, that's business 101. Hell that's common sense 101.

Danarchy said:

Id Software is fine financially and will continue on as long as Zenimax does.

It's not uncommon for parent companies to close their studios if they don't bring enough ROI.

Id should have been left unbought and should have been bought be Valve or something.

They are just a memory I occasionally relive with classic Doom and Doom 2 when they were in their prime (1993-1997). Now they're just another company losing touch because of acquisition by Zenimax.

They had lost their touch long before they got bought by ZeniMax. In fact, if they had kept their touch, they wouldn't have needed to sell themselves.

God damn it Clonehunter, you've ruined my response to Gez:

Amen
*cough* Carmack's fault *cough*

Do you even understand how awesomely grim that would look right after his post? Huh? Do you?

They never remade Quake II.

Yes, Quake 4 sucks.

Harmata said:

God damn it Clonehunter, you've ruined my response to Gez:

Amen
*cough* Carmack's fault *cough*

Do you even understand how awesomely grim that would look right after his post? Huh? Do you?

If you want, I think I can remove my post or request it to be removed, then yours will be where it needs to be and I can move mine to below yours. Sorry about that.

Harmata said:

Yes, Quake 4 sucks.

Quake IV is a sequel to Quake II, plotwise. If anything, the multiplayer (The only thing I've played from it) is a remake of Quake III, or some sort of emulation or recreation anyways. A poor one at that.

If you want

IT'S ALREADY HAPPENED YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST JUST PREY FOR THE FUTURE

Quake IV is a sequel to Quake II, plotwise.

The only thing Q4 has from a plot it's that ridiculous phone call in the end, "To be continued...". I cringed then, i cringe now. If you'd removed Macron's death and stroggification, nothing would change. Just another assault on another alien base with another alien boss.

Harmata said:

The only thing Q4 has from a plot it's that ridiculous phone call in the end, "To be continued...". I cringed then, i cringe now. If you'd removed Macron's death and stroggification, nothing would change. Just another assault on another alien base with another alien boss.

Whoah man, whoah, hold on there...

Spoilers, man. Spoilers.

hex11 said:

And yet it was incredibly successful back in the day, and there were always tons of players on Quake servers 24 hours a day. But maybe like vanilla DOOM, it just doesn't appeal to younger players who are used to OpenGL highres stuff with fancy bloom and other effects. I still enjoy it to this day, ever since my first experience with qtest, even though it ran slow as mollasses on my 486DX/33. :-)

I was pleasantly surprised at how much better and more attractive Hexen 2 looked in comparison to Quake 1, despite using the same engine. I've loved Hexen 2 dearly from the first day and still play it today.
Raven had the magic touch back in the day to make everything from ID so much better. But now they're both horrible at this. :(

That's a different company.

Umm, yeah, i know. Huh?

Spoilers, man. Spoilers.

Hey, i didn't say who gets the "stroggification", maybe it's some random dude in a cutscene. Maybe it's even some Strogg that gets it now, because he was too late to receive it when he was a teen. Like a Jewish kid who missed his circumcision.

Did everyone on this page just magically forget that Raven, not id, made Quake 4?

I was talking about id's decisions, and decision to outsource Q4 to Raven was one of them. That tank, that walker... so forced and bland... I know that Raven could do better, but someone somewhere fucked up.

Rage was the then unknown new IP that was put on hold in order to make Doom3, right? So if they hadn't done that, the Rage setting would still have been new & fresh while Fallout3 and cs would have been the 'copycats'.

So basically the anti-doom-remake faction within ID was right after all.