Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
keithktam

installing brutal doom

Can anybody tell me how to install brutal doom for GZDoom, please?? did search around, couldn't find the match...

many thank in advance

keithktam

Eris Falling said:

Either drop the Brutal Doom PK3 file onto GZDoom.exe or set PK3 files to open with GZDoom

so if I drop the Brutal Doom.pk3 file into the same directory of the GZDoom, it would automatically read that??

many thanks!!

Or if you want to load another WAD with it, a front end such as ZDL also helps.

The furry speaks soothly. Just get ZDL. Once it's installed launch ZDL, go to the 'Settings' tab. Put your iWADS (DOOM.WAD, DOOM2.WAD, etc.) in the 'IWADs' box (using the 'Add' button), and a link to the GZDoom.exe in the 'Source Ports/Engines' box.

Go back to the 'Main' tab, make sure you have to right Source Port and iWAD selected then, with your mouse, drag the Brutal Doom PK3 file into the box marked 'External Files.'

Press the 'Launch' button.

This works with other resource WADs as well, like Nazisv2, etc.

keithktam said:

so if I drop the Brutal Doom.pk3 file into the same directory of the GZDoom, it would automatically read that??

many thanks!!

Not exactly. Drop the file onto GZDoom itself. In this screenshot, I dragged brutalv017gzdoom.pk3 over ZDoom. You should get this message (in Windows 7 at least)

EDIT: As the others said, ZDL is an alternative, though I don't use it myself.

You can edit the zdoom.ini located in the gzdoom folder and type the path where your pk3 (s) are located; this would be in the second subsection after any of the "PATH=" lines. You can then create a shortcut to gzdoom.exe and edit the properties by adding -file nameof.pk3 (where nameof.pk3 is the name of your pk3 file) at the end of gzdoom.exe path; if you don't want to edit the zdoom.ini you can still edit the shortcut but you'll need to specify the path to your pk3 file in the shortcut properties as well (for example: -file "C:\games\doom\pwads\brutal doom.pk3" at the end of the executable name).

Eris Falling said:

Not exactly. Drop the file onto GZDoom itself. In this screenshot, I dragged brutalv017gzdoom.pk3 over ZDoom. You should get this message (in Windows 7 at least)

EDIT: As the others said, ZDL is an alternative, though I don't use it myself.

Holering said:

You can edit the zdoom.ini located in the gzdoom folder and type the path where your pk3 (s) are located; this would be in the second subsection after any of the "PATH=" lines. You can then create a shortcut to gzdoom.exe and edit the properties by adding -file nameof.pk3 (where nameof.pk3 is the name of your pk3 file) at the end of gzdoom.exe path; if you don't want to edit the zdoom.ini you can still edit the shortcut but you'll need to specify the path to your pk3 file in the shortcut properties as well (for example: -file "C:\games\doom\pwads\brutal doom.pk3" at the end of the executable name).

many many thanks to you !!
where the karma button cause i want to add that to you guys!!

Holering said:

sorry, i thought i understood what you were suggesting...
i added the "path=brutalv017gzdoom.pk3" like this:

Path=.
Path=$DOOMWADDIR
Path=$HOME
Path=$PROGDIR
Path=brutalv017gzdoom.pk3

and then i created a shortcut of GZdoom and tried to add brutalv017gzdoom.pk3 after the gzdoom.exe at the "target":

"C:\Users\pc\Documents\Classic 3D Shooters MEGA PACK\Doom (ZDoom)\gzdoom.exe\brutalv017gzdoom.pk3"

but the windows wouldn't let me change it cause is invalid name.
i am using win7.

many thanks!!

Make it look like this:

Path=.
Path=$DOOMWADDIR
Path=$HOME
Path=$PROGDIR
Path=C:\Users\pc\Documents\Classic 3D Shooters MEGA PACK\Doom (ZDoom)\brutalv017gzdoom.pk3

and change the shortcut to looke like this (at the target like you said)

"C:\Users\pc\Documents\Classic 3D Shooters MEGA PACK\Doom (ZDoom)\gzdoom.exe" -file brutalv017gzdoom.pk3

You can be redundant by using the full path in your shortcut if the zdoom.ini is wrong (or if you don't wan't to change the ini).

"C:\Users\pc\Documents\Classic 3D Shooters MEGA PACK\Doom (ZDoom)\gzdoom.exe" -file "C:\Users\pc\Documents\Classic 3D Shooters MEGA PACK\Doom (ZDoom)\brutalv017gzdoom.pk3"

You basically forgot to use the -file switch in the shortcut and you didn't specify the full path in zdoom.ini where brutalv017gzdoom.pk3 is located.

You can make a pwads directory and put all your addon wads (pwads is what they used to call them) in there and specify it's location in the zdoom.ini PATH= line. Then you can make many shortcuts to each of your specific pwads or use one shortcut and change it to the pwad you want before play.

You're welcome.

IF you are using Windows, put Brutal Doom inside your GZDoom folder.

Open Notepad
type this:

@echo off
start gzdomm.exe -file "brutalv017gzdoom.pk3"

Go to File, and "Save As".

Save it as BrutalDoom.bat inside your GZDoom folder.

You can add custom maps and/or mutators with more -file "nameoffile".

@echo off
start gzdomm.exe -file "brutalv017gzdoom.pk3" -file "d2reload.wad"

This file for example, will load Brutal Doom, and Doom 2 Reloaded.