Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Matt534Dog said:

Nice, thank you! I'm pondering over whether I should also include the dehacked file in the wad file for those who use advanced ports. Thoughts?

I don't see why not.

Matt534Dog said:

EDIT: I'm now thinking about redoing the first few levels (or at least having someone else map 'em). They're easily the weakest part of the wad, and it's obviously off-putting to most players. Thoughts?

Map02 can definitely use some major revisions, but I think Map01, Map03, and Map04 are all fine levels.
Maybe you can switch one of the first four maps with one from later in wad to break up the repetitiveness of playing 4 maps from the same author in row.

I thought about that; the problem therein lies in the difficulty curve. Either, the later level would have to be majorly nerfed in design, or the earlier levels would have to be buffed up. Just having the earlier map redone seems like it would be a bit easier in terms of difficulty curve.

I'm considering just having someone redo MAP02, since it is incredibly linear. I've already tuned MAP01 to be more exiting, and I'm currently in the process of doing the same for MAP03 and MAP04.

Processingcontrol said:

Maybe you can switch one of the first four maps with one from later in wad to break up the repetitiveness of playing 4 maps from the same author in row.

Hell Revealed II had at least the first four/five maps by one author, and that WAD turned out great. Nothing's wrong with touching up the levels, but I don't think anything should be done about the order of the levels.

For some reason, MAP30's midi won't play in Chocolate Doom. It plays in just about every other port. Can anyone go through and help me figure this out?

Matt534Dog said:

For some reason, MAP30's midi won't play in Chocolate Doom. It plays in just about every other port. Can anyone go through and help me figure this out?

The MUS format (used internally by Doom) has a maximum filesize of 65535 bytes. When Doom reads a MIDI file, it automatically convert it to MUS, and feeds that MUS to the DMX library. If the MIDI is too large to be converted, then Doom doesn't attempt to play the song.

In Chocolate Doom, the same thing happens, except that there is an extra step where the MUS is then converted back to MIDI since it's not using the DMX library; and SDL expects true MIDI files.

Springy said:

Is it an OPL Midi? If so, this may help http://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/OPL_MIDI

There is, technically speaking, no difference between an OPL MIDI and a GUS MIDI or a GM MIDI or even an MT-32 MIDI. The worst that'll happen is that it'll sound bad; not that it won't play at all.

Okay, fixed it! As it turns out, the damn thing was 18 minutes long! Shortening it to about 7 seems to have worked.

Good job on finally getting this out! Looks like it's time we start getting serious about Interception II, let me know if you need our Mumble server info I'm always on there.

Just played the updated first two levels - thought the changes to Map01 were fine (they made the gameplay much more interesting) but I think a few more edits should be made to Map02:

-Seems like the red key's missing
-Mid-texture glitch here
-Putting the blue door around here would be an easy way to make the map more nonlinear

I also made an updated version of Map28 (get it here) with one bug fixed and a new monster count of 500 (for the lulz).

I think the music for Map28 should be switched from the current track to stewboy's one for Map31, which fits better.

v1.2.1 UPDATE: http://www.mediafire.com/?4lkympdp66h7vd4

Changelog:
-Replaced the missing red key in MAP02
-Made a few improvements and fixes to MAP02
-An improved MAP28 by Processingcontrol
-MAP28's music changed to the MAP31 music track
-DeHackEd and MAPINFO (by NightFright) included in wad

Thanks for the heads up about the red key, Processingcontrol!

Not a bad megawad, although it isn't the best I've played. I did like the nostalgic feeling I got while playing it though. Good balance, plenty of ambushes, lots of ammo. Lighting was fairly well done too. All in all, I always appreciate a megawad that can keep my interest for more then 3 or 4 maps. So thanks!

On the other hand, some of the maps did seem a bit rushed. I noticed certain areas where the textures didn't really blend well. They aren't grotesque to look at, but they're no eye candy either. Some areas just seemed like they could have used more. There's always room for improvement.

Regardless, it's nice to see this wad is being worked on and getting updates.

I see you also added the dehacked and mapinfo files to the WAD with the new release. Maybe also worth mentioning. :) Great stuff, need to play everything from the beginning again now!

I dunno if it's just me, but... I have played v1.1 before, and I could swear that at least MAP01 didn't really change much in the new version. MAP02 on the other hand has seen a few improvements as far as I was able to notice.

*EDIT*
OK, seems the changes are more subtle than I expected. It's basically about enemy and item placement. Changes are there after all. Somehow, I was expecting a redesigned map or something.

Noticed two things in MAP05 (using GZDoom):
- Super shotgun/bagpack at the beginning of the level is not counted as a secret. Intended?
- Music has a break of 1-1.5 minutes after ending before it starts again.

Something else I noticed:

Can it be the music for MAP08 "Panopticon" is remarkably short? To me it seems like it's looping pretty soon, maybe after 30 seconds or so... It's actually getting quite annoying that way.

*UPDATE*
Otherwise, I just reached MAP31. Actually, seeing a map like "Elm Street" after a rather obvious slaughter map as "Vertigo Plant" was a bit of a letdown. OK, there's nothing wrong with calming things down again, but *that* much? Well, I could still live with that, however MAP15 level design is a bit 'meh'. To me it was somewhat lacking detail, something that would stick out. Map layout was more symmetrical and texturing a bit boring at times.

Adding some remarkable encounter or possibly changing parts of the map could help - maybe add some actual reference to the map title (if there is one already, I didn't see it).

Sorry, but that is a problem you should take with XenoNemisis. I have no control over how quickly the tracks are finished.

EDIT: Also, we are not making any changes to phobosdeimos1's maps in honor of his death.

Matt534Dog said:

Also, we are not making any changes to phobosdeimos1's maps in honor of his death.

I am all for this decision, however, I did spot a few bugs in the map (tutti-frutti and HOM-related) and I was wondering if that counted.

[EDIT] Mind you, I was a little hesitant to post this because I share the same feelings as leaving it unaltered. I just figured I'd ask to see what everyone else thought.

Well, I think it'd be OK to remove visual glitches. As long as the map in general remains untouched regarding design, difficulty and everything else, it would still be the very same map. I wouldn't mind one way or the other, but imho such changes which only fix bugs shouldn't do any damage to the "memorial" idea.

If it were up to me, I would fix more than just visual glitches. For example on map05 you can't walk down this staircase:

That's just lame. :)

I always thought that staircase was a neat little "trap" of sorts, pushing you closer to the hell knight with no way to go back. The only way out is through. I doubt it was a mistake; probably a "happy accident" considering he sent me two versions of the map with the same staircase.

To each their own, I guess...

Personally, I'm not going to be the one making any changes to these maps. If someone else wants to send in mere fixes of visual glitches, go ahead.

Anyone know how to get the blue key in Map 28? I got the red and yellow keys and spent the last hour or so wall humping everything to try to open the cage to the blue key, but nothing works. :\

I'm using GZDoom 1.7.0., default compatibility flags if that's any help.

Processingcontrol said:

Shoot at the switch in the key's cage.

I tried that but none of the shots actually go through the cage to hit the switch. It just hits the cage.

BTW I will take back anything bad I might have written about the music before. The track used in MAP17 "Antidote" is stellar! Kudos @ stewboy for this!
Also, that map is a surprisingly intense slaughter map. Actually this compensates for the rather modest action in some levels before. It's an up and down, and the way it develops, I can live with that.

And about that staircase "trap" in MAP05: I actually considered this being done intentionally by the author, and therefore I even chuckled when trying to go back the same way and couldn't. It's making the level more special somewhat, so that's just great the way it is.

Nems said:

I tried that but none of the shots actually go through the cage to hit the switch. It just hits the cage.

Probably a GZDoom problem. Have you tried switching to the Doom (strict) compatibility mode?