Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
96riv

My first attempt at mapping- Gladiator Arena

Designed for zdoom- This is my first attempt at mapping anything. I used doom builder 2, and am getting used to the tools. I know that what I make as a first attempt will be less than perfect. It's just one map right now, I may make it into a whole episode if the fancy strikes me.
please send feedback at blakewolf8@gmail.com

I thought it would be interesting if not all of the marines stationed with doomguy were killed in battle taking back phobos, and were forced to participate in gladiator style games. you will be able to choose which weapon is your primary weapon, and can use whatever you find in the maze. The text file contains the backstory.

http://www.mediafire.com/?w9gnp0uytmskdxm

Any constructive criticism is appreciated. Thanks!

Can you upload it with a filesharing site I don't have to log into like mediafire?

Extremely basic as to be expected, the ideas of having to pick a set of pickups and being chased through a maze by cyberdemons (who in this WAD can't even get inside) are sound. But I'd say focus on making some more structurally sound maps, preferably with a simple format first and then trying again. Less box connected to other box with third box and more stuff going on in each scene.

Interesting idea. :) I was expecting some horrific slaughterfest to be honest, so you definitely exceeded my expectations from the get-go. It's a little easy, but then again I didn't get all the monsters. :D

Was alright. Seems a bit 'MazeWorks'-generated.

Anyway, a few issues:

• The 'selection' doors remain open long enough for you to SR40 down the hall, pick up the 'primary' weapon, and rush back. To prevent this, either use the 'Door Open Stay' linetype and have a 'Door Close Stay' line shortly after, or require that the player steps off a ledge with no way back up in order to get a weapon (the latter would effectively prevent 'cheating' in co-op too).
  • The barriers and raised teleport at the end are, to put it simply, completely and utterly needless; the same required effect can be achieved by using lines with the 'Block Monster' flag enabled. There are no other moments in the map that require jumping, so having to jump for this one simple bit just seems so random and arbitrary.
  • There's no actual exit. The simplest of all things to put in a map!

I like the 'choose you weapon' setup. Really great idea for an intro, but I freaked out when I saw the Cybie. Thought, okay, we got this, just need some more boom. Then the second Cybie showed up...

I gave it a try, but honestly, it was way too hard for me. I suck at Cybies. I'm probably not the audience for this. :>

I like this map a lot, but like Schwerpunk said it's too hard.
I would humbly suggest you leave the weapon-get at the beginning just as it is. I really need all those weapons and SR50 back down the hallway so I can get all the weapons I think is a nice touch.

I would add more nooks and things in the central part of the map where you can pick up powerups (like maybe another soul sphere or certainly more ammo since there are are a lot of cybs to lay waste too. Maybe I'll bring this wad up stairs onto my doom laptop where I have the mouse to play better.

A few aesthetic considerations as well could be tended to but they don't bother me enough to point them out.

You should probably set the flag on the lines where the monsters rise up to invisible ..

Oh.. and I couldn't figure out how to get out of the 3 barons room. I was stuck there and then just started over.

Ok, first off, The baron room is impossible to get out of. You need to be able to lower the floors of the teleporter and the cut off some how. Secondy, instead of the final room, just make to baron room teleporter exit instead.