Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

Richard III found in car park

The alleged remains of Richard III (that guy from that Shakespeare play) were exhumed from a car park in Leicester, England last year. Evidence suggests they're the real deal.

Another link with some nice photos and things. If it's indeed who they think it is, notice just how messed up his spine really was. Also, have a CNN article in the event that the BBC ones misbehave.

I find this pretty fascinating, least of all because a dreary car park in the Midlands isn't a place I'd associate with such an important discovery. Even if someone changes their mind about it a few years down the line, it's a pretty cool find in archaeological terms.

I just heard about this on the radio this morning. Still goes to show that you may end up finding something groundbreaking really in any setting (urban or not).

That is one hell of a bent spine. I can only imagine how hunched over he must have been for it to look like that

This is a great find. You don't hear about finding long dead kings everyday. I'd be interested in seeing what he might have looked like if they can reconstruct his face.

Richard the Third or, as he is known in Ireland, Dick the Shit.

Didn't Rowan Atkinson kill him?

Kirby said:

That is one hell of a bent spine. I can only imagine how hunched over he must have been for it to look like that

I actually knew someone with a spine that curved, if not more so, and it was far less obvious than you would think. Mind you, she got it straightened by surgery (not straight mind you, just straighter) and she got two inches taller as a result of the straightening.

This is probably a beta test. What they do is plant some bones somewhere, make up a stupid story and manufacture some "evidence" with their science-for-hire, then blare the whole thing out of their controlled main stream media to see if the public buys it. If few question it, they know they can roll out with the real run, whether that be "finding" Osama bin Laden's body, even though he doesn't actually exist, or who knows.

gggmork said:

This is probably a beta test. What they do is plant some bones somewhere, make up a stupid story and manufacture some "evidence" with their science-for-hire, then blare the whole thing out of their controlled main stream media to see if the public buys it. If few question it, they know they can roll out with the real run, whether that be "finding" Osama bin Laden's body, even though he doesn't actually exist, or who knows.

Jesus Christ.

gggmork said:

Netherstorm said:

It's not everyday you find the remains of a dead king in a car park.

And most of the comments I'm reading are people who are asking why people give a damn.

The drive for knowledge is dead in our culture.

Enjay said:

Didn't Rowan Atkinson kill him?

The interesting thing is that he had head wounds that were indicative that he was not wearing a helmet. It's usually considering unrealistic for anyone to go into battle without a helmet in fiction, so this is amusing. They do think that his helmet was knocked off his head and it IS what killed him, so yeah...

Technician said:

And most of the comments I'm reading are people who are asking why people give a damn.

The drive for knowledge is dead in our culture.

The drive for knowledge is dead among most people. It always has been. Depressing it is.

This is pretty awesome. Must suck to a own businesses on land where archeological digs happen, though. It's far less common in North America of course.

Good stuff, more of our history uncovered - yay

When I first heard they found hum under a car park I was suppressed, but all makes sense when reading the various articles :)