Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

About pre-release Doom 3 stuff

Sometimes I like to look through the pre-release videogames stuff and compare it to the final product. I've watched old Macworld and Doom 3 Legacy videos and found some of the footage interesting. I'll be glad if anyone here can answer my questions

1) What are these things? Old sentry drones? High-tech explosive barrels? Also is XLABS the old name for Delta Labs?

2) Everyone knows that this Bruiser demon didn't make it into the game. But what about this map? I don't recognize the location, is it in the game in some form?

3) Same here. Although it reminds me of the martian civilization dig area at the end of the game, there was a similar room with four columns but smaller and the columns looked completely different

Also some interesting stuff for those who missed it back then:

Neat commando designs. Why are they bare-chested in the final game?

Hello, sargeant Kelly! Nice anime-inspired helmet you've got here! Although I believe this was an early Doomguy model.

I really like the lighting in this area compared to the final game

It does amaze me that most of this stuff and the overall Doom 3 graphical quality was done by early 2001. What did they spent three more years on?

Orchid87 said:

1) What are these things? Old sentry drones? High-tech explosive barrels?

I always thought they were early revisions of health packs, or air canisters.

Orchid87 said:

Also is XLABS the old name for Delta Labs?

Presumably. Possibly Alpha Labs or CPU. Who knows for sure.

Orchid87 said:

2) Everyone knows that this Bruiser demon didn't make it into the game. But what about this map? I don't recognize the location, is it in the game in some form?

It isn't in Doom 3.

That monster was colloquially known as "Birdman", btw.

Orchid87 said:

It does amaze me that most of this stuff and the overall Doom 3 graphical quality was done by early 2001.

Agreed. I've never before or since had my breath taken away by something from a game, relative to what era it was showcased in.

Orchid87 said:

What did they spent three more years on?

Making a game, and not a graphical demo. Whether some of the little things that were lost in the final release of Doom 3 should have been lost, you decide.

Whether some of the little things that were lost in the final release of Doom 3 should have been lost, you decide. [/B]

Coming back to the old "final vs alpha" debate I am happy with the retail version. The only things changed for the worse are pistol and machinegun sounds.

I read somewhere in "Making of Doom 3" that when id release this first video, they have only one quick, not finished map. So maybe XLAB texture is only some kind of concept for future textures with Alpha/Delta Labs logos.

Orchid87 said:

What are these things? Old sentry drones? High-tech explosive barrels?

These 'canisters' are still in the final game, most likely unused. They can be spawned via console like this:

spawn moveable_barrel2

Shots:
http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/da_werecat/shot00058.jpg
http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/da_werecat/shot00057.jpg
http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/da_werecat/shot00055.jpg

Why are they bare-chested in the final game?

Well, the drawn concept looks way too complex to make into an actual model. No wonder the final guy is different.

The alpha version seemed so much more interesting than the final retail version... the corridors seemed so much more darker and mysterious, and hiding in that certain corner which spawned the scripted Hellknight passing-by sequence was fucking awesome. I actually liked the very very short alpha version more than the whole final game :D .