Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

Obsidian said:

Just played Joe-ilya's map and the first thing that crossed my mind was "decent 1994 map". Sorry dude. :/

Because of the unseemetric placement? (Of the platforms)

More brilliantly useful reviews from Eris Falling!

MAP20 Secret #1 is ridiculously easy. Just putting that out there, I think you should make this a bit harder to access, perhaps a teleporter later in the level. I would probably delete the armour + health bonus secret in the first room completely, or put a more useful item in there.
Playing on UV, I didn't feel there was enough ammo at some points, most painfully after taking the red key.
While some areas are looking slightly better, a lot of work is still needed. I've seen a few misaligned textures (Trap just before red door as an example) and some of the switches opened traps which only had enemies. The trap with the chaingunner in exit area could have something like a green armour inside it, as an incentive to open the trap.
To me, the music didn't seem too out of place - and indeed, it is one of my favourite music tracks in Doom II - but some others might be annoyed by it as it is also the intermission music. Don't take my word for that though.
The rooms that are made entirely out of silver are slightly odd.

MAP10 While the overall design of this level is OK, cut back on your monster count in the outdoor areas. Seriously. Also, ascending the stairs into the area with the health bonus tables looks to me like it's supposed to be one of those silent teleporters, like in MAP05 of CC4. But this isn't the case, so what I may suggest is change that transition into something a bit more teleporter friendly

You start to ascend the stairs, but as you round the corner the top of the first flight, a bloody mess from hell (red flesh texture) blocks the stairs. You step into a small skypit, placed by the demons and it takes you to the top of the staircase, where you look back down on the mess that blocked your way. You continue the map.

Map20: still needs work, but I want to give credit where credit is due - this map was already an improvement on the previous effort, and joe's working with the feedback. This latest version of the map makes significant enhancements compared to the last one, IMO.

It's still possible to pick up the blue key without triggering that trap, though :)

MAP20 does seem to slightly improve with each update, can't be denied. Eventually it will be a good map I hope :P

Mouldy has taken over the MAP25 slot.

Eris Falling said:

MAP10 While the overall design of this level is OK, cut back on your monster count in the outdoor areas. Seriously. Also, ascending the stairs into the area with the health bonus tables looks to me like it's supposed to be one of those silent teleporters, like in MAP05 of CC4. But this isn't the case, so what I may suggest is change that transition into something a bit more teleporter friendly.

I guess it is about that caco/pain elemental trap, correct? I think I can do few tweaks in that.
If you mean monsters on the place, without traps sprung, I don't know. I was thinking that the main area is hosted with some low-tier enemies, mostly imps, former humans and some sergeants to replenish your already low ammo supply (in UV), and give some life for that place. I think I'll delete those revenants, cacoes and mancubi from there.
Blue key area is no-go.
Note: this is beatable in UV, even without grabbing any secrets.

As for that transition staircase, I'll work out something. Actually, I think I keep that staircase... But block it, and make new room for teleporting. I think I figure something cool for there. Like some sort service teleport for stuff to move.

Also, I liked that little description. :)
And here's how I see it:
Player reaches to refueling base, in a hope to find working shuttle to get into city. But, as player enters, he notices that even if the area is still human as possible, it is slowly starting to be consumed by hellish invasion. Either way, player must fight through to escape, way or another...

Map20 again
Whilst there is some "height variation" It does not really resolve what I am talking about. You need to place enemies not only at ground level but put some in high positions to snipe down on the player adds variation to the gameplay. There are some texture misalignments but they can come later.
O one more thing, spiders and mancubi will not teleport in after grabbing the red key. The area where they teleport from needs to be improved drastically. Either use monsters of smaller size or split the sector they are in into about 4 rooms and have 4 teleporters which increases the efficiency of the trap, also you can use smaller room sizes which also increases the efficiency of the trap.

Eris Falling said:

More brilliantly useful reviews from Eris Falling!

MAP20 Secret #1 is ridiculously easy. Just putting that out there, I think you should make this a bit harder to access, perhaps a teleporter later in the level.[/i]

I just wanted to ripoff the map01 chainsaw secret.
Should I remove the effect "9" like the map01 did.

updates : monsters in different heights , fixed trap , adding\replacing textures.

joe-ilya said:

Should I remove the effect "9" like the map01 did.

Yes.

I've finally started working on MAP22 again. Think I've finally got this section right. This is the third version of it. Click the thumbnail to expand.

It takes you to a labyrinth. Thoughts? I think it could use some extra detail myself.

EDIT: Just noticed this in one of Xaser's screenshots:

Those are fake slopes, right?

Eris Falling said:

Those are fake slopes, right?

Too curvy to be true slopes, and the dim darkness of inky blackness is a trademark of this "we don't want to show that the ceiling is flat" method.

Yep, those arches are midtextures. It's an old vanilla trick that works really well. ;)

Gez said:

Too curvy to be true slopes, and the dim darkness of inky blackness is a trademark of this "we don't want to show that the ceiling is flat" method.

Xaser said:

Yep, those arches are midtextures. It's an old vanilla trick that works really well. ;)

That's good to know. My initial fear was that you were accidentally mapping for ZDoom. From what the screenshots show, that would be a pain in the ass if it had to be cut back.

EDIT: By the way, just as a note: I made a V3.3.10 of MAP07, which is basically ONE aesthetic change in the central room. I felt that a flashing teleporter pad without another pad on the ceiling looked a bit weird. You don't need to bother downloading it if you have V3.3.9, but I put it in the OP for the Beta release, so I can double check if I have the latest version of every map.

Ahem.

Catch.

This was my second attempt at The Spirit World a few months ago. I wasn't really satisfied with it when I made it, but if someone wants to use it as the base for their map I'm cool with that. I think it's vanilla compatible: I only had Doom95 when I was making it, so I couldn't properly gauge it's compatibility.

I suppose this is a good time to say that I'm not feeling like mapping map28 lately. I guess I'll pick it up with my old idea in case nobody manages to do it and map28 ends up to be the one map, or one of the few maps that are delaying the project's completion.

MAP28 is certainly very popular. I guess that's a good thing, incase of bad submissions. I'll just remove the author name completely and leave it as WIP until we get something through.

What I've made so far while trying to make something for map28:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sgw7cz8w4lsg3fu

The idea to exit the map is to find 4 switches around the map that raise the blood around the exit, I've only placed 1 switch so far.
The map will get harder later on, I only made the start pistol-start friendly.
I've put the yellow skull outside the door so you can see where I'm going with it, the key is actually gonna be behind a secret.
The map ends behind the red door so far.

If there is any problems with crashing I would wanna know.
All other feedback is fine as well :)

Both MAP28 submissions so far seem to be of quite a good quality.

Obsidian, there's a missing red torch in yours in the one of the corridors.

Kongming, if you could make the lifts out of the pit in the middle a bit more obvious that would be very helpful, as I nearly mutated :P

EDIT: I may have to (kinda) break the no-new texture rule myself for MAP30, if I can't get the full black sky working properly (for consistency) then I'll use the black wall/flat textures for it.

In all honesty, had I been leading this project from the start, I probably would have allowed new textures, since the original ones are very limiting. If I removed the rule now, I'm not sure people would want to /be able to go over their maps again with any re-texturing.

D'oh!

Obsidian said:

Ahem.

Catch.

This was my second attempt at The Spirit World a few months ago. I wasn't really satisfied with it when I made it, but if someone wants to use it as the base for their map I'm cool with that. I think it's vanilla compatible: I only had Doom95 when I was making it, so I couldn't properly gauge it's compatibility.

Visplane Overflow - when encountering the raising Pain Elemental and turning back to view the the room.

Other than that I like it.

The labyrinth has started. Working backwards, starting with the exit/centre. The barons mentioned in my last screenshot come here after leaving their columns

Eris Falling said:

The labyrinth has started. Working backwards, starting with the exit/centre. The barons mentioned in my last screenshot come here after leaving their columns

You just gave me some detailing ideas , thanks.

@Eris, I don't mind really, I'm fine with maps12/21 as they are, perhaps map15 could use a little extra texture work if it's brought in, probably only using textures from plutonia to enhance the industrial look

Please don't allow new textures on maps other than the secret levels. This requirement has been here since the project's beginning, and I don't see the sense in changing the rules halfway through.

Processingcontrol said:

Please don't allow new textures on maps other than the secret levels. This requirement has been here since the project's beginning, and I don't see the sense in changing the rules halfway through.

True, it would be unfair on other peoples maps if people can come in and use for example the entire cc4 texturepack to make a different experience. Maybe I sounded like I supported the idea of going texture crazy, when I really don't think we should being straying too far away from the stock textures. That was not my intention (joys of posting when tired :/)

I agree with please no new textures generally, however I feel like map30 could be an exception. Although if you cheat and use a new black texture for your sky I'm going to feel quite bitter about having to work around that in map29 ;) Also since map29 ends with a huge portal pit there's no real need for any consistency. If anything, map28 having a black sky would be nicer (bear in mind I haven't checked the actual map28 submissions).

Oh and you reminded me, I totally forgot about finalizing map29 as soon as I gave up map28. >_> Too bad I still can't stand playing that level over and over again, having to balance the freaking pickup amounts has stopped me for how many months now? Damn..

cannonball said:

True, it would be unfair on other peoples maps if people can come in and use for example the entire cc4 texturepack to make a different experience. Maybe I sounded like I supported the idea of going texture crazy, when I really don't think we should being straying too far away from the stock textures. That was not my intention (joys of posting when tired :/)

Though I don't really define the black flats/walls as textures as such.

@Antroid: It just seems odd to have MAP29 with that eerie black void everywhere, then go back up into normal hell.
If anything, I'd see it as jumping into the portal and going to a deeper part of hell. I can't imagine they'd leave their chief on the surface. Just my opinion though. I still have to come up with ideas for six sins in addition for this map.

Also, by working around it, I hope you don't mean changing your map to implement them. Those massive buildings HAVE to stay!