Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elic

Vanilla Highest Floor Problem

Currently working on a vanilla map in Doom Builder 2, but a strange bug is impending my progress: whenever an action that's supposed to raise or lower a floor to the highest adjacent floor happens, the floor instantly raises to the ceiling. The problem shows up in both Chocolate Doom and PRBoom+. The weirdest thing about this is that it only occurs in one half of the level; whenever I use one of the actions in the other half everything works as its supposed to.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

Sounds like the floor is lower than -512 map units. Those linedef types fail outside -512, 512 map units in height IIRC.

traversd said:

Sounds like the floor is lower than -512 map units. Those linedef types fail outside -512, 512 map units in height IIRC.

Seriously? I've never heard of this before.

EDIT: Sure enough. There's a note left in the BOOM source about this. God, all those routines were coded so terribly.

Quasar said:

Seriously? I've never heard of this before.

EDIT: Sure enough. There's a note left in the BOOM source about this. God, all those routines were coded so terribly.

You mean those?

Fixed P_FindHighestFloorSurrounding routine in P_SPEC.C to use MININT
as it initialization for the highest search rather than the arbitrary
-500 units it did.

Fixed P_FindHighestCeilingSurrounding routine in P_SPEC.C to use MININT
as it initialization for the highest search rather than the arbitrary
0 units it did.

I commented on this type of issue here, where it impacted another wad. Once you're aware of the issue, it's easy enough to find workarounds that avoid the wad becoming port-specific.

Gez said:

You mean those?

And don't forget P_FindNextHighestFloor which would trash the stack if there were too many adjoining sectors.

traversd said:

I raised the height of everything and the actions started working normally. This this was definitely the culprit. Surprised I never heard of this bug before considering how common it must be in maps with steep height differences.

Thanks for the help guys!

I had the pleasure of running into this bug for one of my BtsX contributions :P (and someone else ran into it before I did). Before that, I had no idea of its existence. But it definitely made me scratch my head for a few hours.

Thankfully though, as Gez pointed out, it is pretty easy to work around.