Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoWaves

Are DM maps still relevant/used?

I was sitting mapping a deathmatch map today and I got to thinking: Does anybody even still play them? Last actual DM wad worth (at least to my knowledge) an extended look is Gothic99, and that was over a decade ago. Since seeing as the doom community is somewhat limited nowadays, not many people would play together online, right? Just a wandering thought.

Try the UDM series, UDMX being the most recent of which. The 32in24 series has also been pretty successful, 32in24-11 being my favorite of them so far.

I don't think anyone plays Gothic99, ever.

Well, it's true DM doesn't get played much these days, hasn't for years now really, except with a tiny bit of activity on euro servers. I'm gonna echo what essel said though, there's been a fair amount of good DM wads since Gothic99, in addition to the ones already listed: SpaceDM5, Dynamite DM(not really it's AWFUL!!), Crucified Dreams, Greenwar 2, Lazarus, the Onslaught series, etc

I always thought that DM maps were still made outside of DoomWorld, like by members of the forums of Net-centric Source Ports.

Has it really waned that much?

They are seldomly played , there aren't even much deathmatch nights.
Yes , this is sad that many people enjoy "megaman" dm , duel and "All out of war"

DM not played? What, aren't the Zandronum, ZDaemon and Odamex communities active? Or do they only play cheesy ZDoom mods which turn Doom into anything else than Doom?

I don't know about you guys but I still play the everloving shit out of Doom 2 Deathmatch.

Zdaemon still has some DM activity. Zandronum, not so much.. When I first started Dooming online (~2000) DM was insanely huge and it was often hard to find an occupied Co-op server. I wish it was still like that.

CTF is the only 'new' game mode I thouroughly enjoy. Everything else gets a bit complicated, but then again there's things like dodgeball Doom that keep me in for hours.

Point of the story is, Deathmatch will never die. It's just a waning period.. Hardcore doomers start getting an itch if they go too long without a good DM. :)

I host a ton of Deathmatch servers on Odamex, including oldschool ultimate doom, doom2, tntblood, greenwar, udmx, onslaught, lazarus, gothicdm, dtwid, and shareware deathmatch. Feel free to join and play any time. If I ever see anyone in them I am sure to join.

printz said:

DM not played? What, aren't the Zandronum, ZDaemon and Odamex communities active? Or do they only play cheesy ZDoom mods which turn Doom into anything else than Doom?

Mate, DM has died down over the years considerably, along with CTF. Well, in ST it was a rare occurrence to see DM servers played, same with pub CTF. Duel does get played a bit more now (not that it's a bad thing).