Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Doom screenshot converted to hi-res

9600x7211

It's pretty fantastic. I don't really like what they did with Doomguy's face*, as is the way with all of these "Doom HD" endeavors of various descriptions. But it's hard to nitpick anything else about it.

*<shaviro> oh hey it's Jay Leno!

Very impressive. Hate to think what the levels par time would be if every frame took that long to render.

Captain Red said:

The rocket launcher's a poor choice for that range

Yep, it's part of the implied story. You'll notice all the ammo counters are at 0, all he got left is one rocket. And there are two explosive barrels. He's gonna shoot, and kill the demon, but also his own dumb self, right in the exit room.

Captain Red said:

The rocket launcher's a poor choice for that range

I think it adds the scariness of picture: We've all had the feeling of turning a corner and realizing that the weapon we have drawn is not appropriate for the fight we've about the engage. In the screenshot above, the weapon in-hand is actually a bigger threat than the drooling Demon in front of the player!

The only only thing that could add to the tension would be some Arch-flames licking at the player's boots. The correct choice in that situation is clear: enter the room while switching to SSG/Chnsw/ChG and tuck yourself into the closest, rightmost corner to evade the Arch-vile's flames. But no matter what, you're probably going to take some damage in that kind of engagement.

I got myself all hyped up now... *Sigh* Time to play a E1 again... and I have a paper due tomorrow. >_<

Just as fascinating as the look of the final product, is the way the author outlined the process. An excellent blend of inspiration and execution.

I love how the demon looks in this. Heck, even the Val Kilmer-esque doomguy looks pretty good.

Also, the STAR* textures seem just right here. I know we've always debated on what those actually are, but painted precast concrete panels?

Why didn't I see that before?

Gez said:

Yep, it's part of the implied story. You'll notice all the ammo counters are at 0, all he got left is one rocket. And there are two explosive barrels. He's gonna shoot, and kill the demon, but also his own dumb self, right in the exit room.

No, he's gonna backpedal at 40mph while squeezing the trigger.

Clonehunter said:

It's simply beautiful.

Now I'm trying to imagine the whole game like this.

Where's my remake.

Csonicgo said:

I love how the demon looks in this. Heck, even the Val Kilmer-esque doomguy looks pretty good.

Also, the STAR* textures seem just right here. I know we've always debated on what those actually are, but painted precast concrete panels?

http://www.highconcrete.com/products/Components/structural/images/Wall1_vlh.jpg

Why didn't I see that before?

Whoa... I've seen some valiant attempts at bringing Doom textures into the world of high definition gaming (most of the time kicking and screaming, uglier than a baby with a Botox addiction), but that - that - works. The clunky, sharp edges translate very well into hi-def.

This is what the various "high res Doom" projects wished they were.

Am I the only one who thinks it looks a bit off? Because it seems to have too much detail for detail's sake, and the end product looks kinda overdone.

Shadow Hog said:

Am I the only one who thinks it looks a bit off? Because it seems to have too much detail for detail's sake, and the end product looks kinda overdone.

You aren't. I agree. It's neat, but the proportions and general outline of the Pinky are reproduced too exactly. It ends up looking silly (okay, sillier) than the sprite it's based off of.

I find one of the issues with many digital artists is they can't get the lighting correct. Everything here looks almost like it's self illuminating.

Technician said:

I find one of the issues with many digital artists is they can't get the lighting correct. Everything here looks almost like it's self illuminating.

It really does look like it was a (G)ZDoom screenie. The radioactive barrels and the light posts have their own little dynamic lights.

Orangestar said:

It really does look like it was a (G)ZDoom screenie. The radioactive barrels and the light posts have their own little dynamic lights.

Maybe I should give the author a little more credit.

Heh, I looked at all of that fidelity and thought "The demon's legs are bending the wrong way there and it's back arm just looks fat".

I want this image on a trapper keeper. It would be better than my unicorn one by a factor of xBFG9,000 awesomeness.