Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Youtube to experiment with pay for subscriptions

Link

Would you pay to watch a YouTube channel?

The company is aiming to introduce paid channel subscriptions this year, according to a story out today from AdAge.

Citing "multiple people familiar with the plans," AdAge reports that YouTube has already talked to a small selection of producers about developing channels that would require a fee. The first such channels would reportedly cost users between $1 and $5 a month, according to two of the sources.

Go ahead Google, kill your second best known website in the world in the name of greed. First you change the overall layout again to an ugly-ass blank background page now this bullshit. Fucking morons

I figured this was coming. I'm unsure at how this will work, though. The cynical side of me says people won't buy shit they got for free, and is mainly produced by amateurs, even if production quality is consistent. Now, the other half of me remembers people will throw money at virtual hats, digital doodads, and people flat-out asking for cash.

"The whole idea is to offer viewers an alternative to traditional TV and bring in increased ad revenue as well. Providers would be able to place ads in their paid channels."

If they expect me to pay, the content had better be free of advertising.

kristus said:

Twitch did this already. They offer an ad free service for a monthly fee.

Adblock takes care of ads for free.

I'm actually surprised that Adblock can go on unmolested by big business.

Mr. Chris said:

Go ahead Google, kill your second best known website in the world in the name of greed. First you change the overall layout again to an ugly-ass blank background page now this bullshit. Fucking morons

It wouldn't kill Youtube, they could never force paid subscription on channels so it would be up to the content producers to choose between using subscription, ads or both. Giving users the option to support a channel with a subscription while getting no ads would actually be a very good idea: You get a better viewing experience and the channel most likely gets more revenue than they would get from your ad impressions.

Speaking of Adblock, it sure is great for making browsing the net more enjoyable, but it's seriously screwing over content producers such as people making Youtube videos for living.[/MoralHighGround]

esselfortium said:

YouTube operates at a financial loss, as far as I know, so this isn't surprising.

As (at latest) last year, Google has began making money off YT. Mainly due to storage and bandwidth both getting cheaper and cheaper.

Greyghost: Yes. I am so used to Adblock plus, that I did not even know there are already ads embedded in videos on the youtube.
Can not guarantee thou.. I did not watch all of the videos on the youtube.

Technician said:

Why do you think Google developed its own browser? Adblock on Chrome differs from Adblock on Firefox.

esselfortium said:

YouTube operates at a financial loss, as far as I know, so this isn't surprising.

I honestly could never imagine anything that streams video for free could live off of discount ads.

Jodwin said:

Speaking of Adblock, it sure is great for making browsing the net more enjoyable, but it's seriously screwing over content producers such as people making Youtube videos for living.[/MoralHighGround]

I've never ever needed to use AdBlock. It probably would have been more useful if the only browser was IE and pop-ups were galore. Why is it considered so ridiculous not to install AdBlock, that you need to excuse yourself as "moral high ground"?

geo said:

I honestly could never imagine anything that streams video for free could live off of discount ads.

Television can live off of ads, so why can't streaming video? It's just a matter of being able to show ads in a large enough volume and negotiating good enough deals. There are entire networks of people making living off ad impressions on Youtube, and as their channels grow so does Youtube's revenue streams. The more people watch videos online instead of doing something else with their time the more profitable Youtube's business becomes.

Gee oh noes, how will we EVAR make monees off of something so obvious as videos on the internet? (Psst, hey guys moore's law guarantees this will be an insane cash cow; videos will be like computationally free almost soon don't tell all the marks, aka users. Oh ha ha, also put "over 10344.997412 and counting" of free storage on gmail to make it look like our altrusim is constantly increasing or something, when really the number will increase slower than moore's law, ha ha. And install gmail nagware that says "hey this is important, we don't have a phone number on file for you"... the lingo is important, we have to use words like "hey" to make us seem like one of their cool hip buddies, oh hey buddy, I just wanna steal yo' phone number lol, it won't go into utah's spy supercomputer or anything "square" like that. For now lets just operate yootoobes "at a loss" to make us appear like good guys for the children, you know? Meanwhile we'll USE those very same children as an excuse to censor tons of videos, ha ha, making the users have to "log in" to their gmail accounts to watch "offensive" videos. And when they log in we'll track everything they watch, bubble them, and integrate spying into their youtubes AND email. We'll make youtoobs seem like a public commons, make everything free at first, just to monopolize videos everywhere. Even monopolize ALL information because we know humans are lazy so will stop reading and rely on videos only for information (plus we own google too anyway if they still bother reading).

Technician said:

Yes, but that way you can be rid of the ads without being a leach.

printz said:

Why is it considered so ridiculous not to install AdBlock, that you need to excuse yourself as "moral high ground"?

Not so much "moral high ground," but to my experience/knowledge (or lack of), AdBlock uses a decent chunk of RAM to constantly use, especially on ad-heavy pages such as MF or smaller file sharing sites. (For the record, my RAM sucks, and is used enough by one browser open, let alone other applications)

Text sarcasm is tough to detect.

esselfortium said:

Ha! They deserve this for kicking people like me out due to our wonderful AMV masterpieces.
I would've agreed to pay something to use copyrighted material in my work. But noooooo. They just go and delete my hard work, claiming that it violates laws.
And interestingly enough, when some troll recorded a video in which my whole family was being insulted and harassed then they didn't want to delete that video straight away because it apparently didn't violate any laws.
So that's what they get.
Punishment which is deserved!
R.I.P (Rot In Pieces) Youtube! Amen.

188DarkRevived said:

Ha! They deserve this for kicking people like me out due to our wonderful AMV masterpieces.
I would've agreed to pay something to use copyrighted material in my work. But noooooo. They just go and delete my hard work, claiming that it violates laws.
And interestingly enough, when some troll recorded a video in which my whole family was being insulted and harassed then they didn't want to delete that video straight away because it apparently didn't violate any laws.
So that's what they get.
Punishment which is deserved!
R.I.P (Rot In Pieces) Youtube! Amen.

As always, I sincerely hope you're fakeposting.

Obsidian said:

If you can be stuffed reading gggmork's post, congratulations.

I don't know, I find his posts entertaining to read, heh.

esselfortium said:

As always, I sincerely hope you're fakeposting.

I am 100% serious. No BS. Playing fake is not my game. It is the fakers who keep bringing me misery, not the other way around.
I don't understand why you keep saying that. :/

Captain Ventris said:

He says that because you're a depressing caricature of a human if you're serious.

Being trolled IRL will do that to a man. Leave you a shell, that is.

Captain Ventris said:

He says that because you're a depressing caricature of a human if you're serious.

Well then, sorry to disappoint y'all, but I cannot hide the fact that society has been making me feel extremely depressed. Truth is truth.

Paid channel subscriptions? It's amazing, Google ruined Youtube YET AGAIN.