Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GooberMan

Prime Directive - First gameplay videos!

The first gameplay videos of Prime Directive are up on Youtube! But what is Prime Directive, you ask? Well, it's the upcoming sequel to the not-then-called-Cacoward winning Space Station Omega. 10 years late, but eh, it's on its way.

(Youtube appears to have done things to the quality, so the text is blurrier than I wanted)

So. First gameplay videos. The first one shows off the chunk I've been polishing - namely, the area between the sewers and the labs. There's still a fair amount of polish to go, and probably a fair amount of balance and extra battles to be put in to it, but quite a few of the features I'm putting in to Prime Directive are on display in that one:
  • Day/night cycle
  • Half-Life style level transitions
  • Contextual communications with Elaine
  • Marine enemies - you are invading a marine base, after all
  • Extensive use of 3D floors
  • Half-Life/SSO style cutscenes
The second video is of a secret area. As a part of the story, you gain some demon powers. In this video, you compete in a stylised arena with Barons of Hell for a crowd. Your prize, should you win? An increased capacity for your Baron fireball launching power. Of course, having such a thing isn't entirely fair against unarmed marines. That's why some of them are armed - while the last wave has them on berserk packs. This is meant to be a competition, after all.

Closed pre-alpha testing is currently being carried out. Feel free to drop me a line if you wish to test it. There's a ton of balance issues I need to sort out, at the very least.

I like the use of crouching, 3D floors and slopes and I like the look of what you're doing here. Visuals want some work really - the female marine dying animation is pretty weak and having the baron of hell powers out of the standard marine fist is pretty unexciting too. Level environments in general seem a bit on the simple or plain side, but they are quite functional and have a lot of GZDoom going on, which does help. The arena full of Barons bellowing was also surprisingly mood-building, IMO.

I'm working on the detail (those areas shown aren't final). But I do hate doing it. I'm a programmer, not an architect. Nor am I an artist. I'm looking for female marine sprites with vwep support as it has been noted in testing that running in to a SSG marine that looks the same as a pistol marine just isn't fair. I already have marine vwep sprites (from Ghastly's marines compilation) but there are no female sets out there.

The biggest thing I'm concerned about is balancing those marines. The maps will survive without detail. But if I can't balance the marines properly (including vwep support) the entire thing could be an unplayable failure.

And thus, the Doomguy goes forth to allow primitive cultures on other planets to develop naturally, with no interference from him or any other Federati- I mean, UAC officers.

Video looks good, although the lighting's a bit flat, I guess?

The lighting is currently 128 for the most part. When I get around to doing a proper lighting pass, the plan is to lower it and put in dynamic lights with light fixtures. It should increase the mood significantly (and save fiddling with sector lighting for a month).