Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Played a lot of stuff... Lord of the Flies was a shitty Doom II episode redeemed by a few tight Adam Windsor levels. Jagermorder was fun, short and gorgeous. CHORDG was similar but a lot harder. Now playing Survive in Hell. I can call some of the Hell Revealed knockoffs (and some HR2 from videos I've watched) but I'm digging the toned-down slaughter map routine. Probably gonna play the 3 hour French megaWAD after and Heroes Tales provided no one goes crazy and finalizes Interception, DTWID:LE, or PDA.

kmxexii said:

Lord of the Flies was a shitty Doom II episode redeemed by a few tight Adam Windsor levels.

It's probably not a good sign that even I tend to forget that wad exists. :)

Capellan said:

It's probably not a good sign that even I tend to forget that wad exists. :)

Nope, but I rolled the dice and wrote a review!

New-ish doom player here.

Working on Plutonia UV, it's hard but in a fun way. I think I died over 100 times on that level with the teleporting archvile and all those revenants (might have been MAP07).

Finished Survive in Hell. Moderately fun from JCD; I liked the HR et al knockoffs more than those weird super-short filler maps (speed maps, perhaps?). 21-33 was very cool, though. Tons of infighting and BFG blasting to cut my teeth on. Most of the DEH monsters seemed like a waste with how rarely they were used. The Minecraft level is an obvious mention. The combat was meh but I liked the look, the chests, and that breakaway wall.

Playing Plutonia 2 for the second time, best megawad in the world IMO! I still can't find a single flaw in this whole mapset.

Oops 31 & 32 sucks, *cough cough*, but anyways 30 perfect maps! I'm on map03 :P

Played JCD's Titania, a decent if flat techbase with some nice action. Followed with 3HA, a pretty fun speed map set except for like three levels I thought played horribly (not Darkwave's). Then did Lost Way, which was Pretty brutal for a Lainos map. Too many hitacanners chipping away for most of the level.

Now playing Heroes' Tales. It's mostly fun and scattershot - like 3HA - again with a few levels that I really dislike. A.L.T. is a much better play, IMO, but the two projects aren't really comparable. ( looking forward to ALT 2, btw.) Still, plenty of gems to be had.

There's going to be an A.L.T. 2? Cool.

The two WADs I'm currently working through are Interception, for the MegaWAD club, and the patched/fixed version of Hell Awakened. The former is a megaWAD in a more or less 'traditional' vein with all of the variation in style one generally expects from a community effort of that sort, while the latter is a surprisingly bloody and relentless affair based on sardonic staged fights and a generally joyless atmosphere. For the most part I'm enjoying both, although there were a small handful of Interception maps I didn't care for (again, pretty much par for the course in a big community project), and I found the Hell section of HA a bit dry/sloggy (although it did have some cool parts) compared to the dead/corrupted Mars base theme that precedes and follows it, which is a little unusual for me, as "Hell" is usually one of my favorite themes.

kmxexii said:

looking forward to ALT 2, btw

lolwut? B0S clan doesn't even exist anymore AFAIK. Or do you know something we don't know?

Memfis said:

lolwut? B0S clan doesn't even exit anymore AFAIK. Or do you know something we don't know?

You might understand my ignorance at the status of the Russian community but I could have sworn I saw Azamael say he was working on ALT 2. You would know much better than I, of course.

CC4 on ITYTD (I know -_-) trying to get through without dying once. Up to MAP11 so far and after MAP10, it's not looking too good :P

Finished Heroes' Tales. A cool mapset that's a little rough around the edges but still worth a play through. Followed it up with a short E2M1 level Memfis has yet to follow up on. I liked the forced-Tyson gameplay and it held together pretty well; very fun and not annoying (though very light on health in my experience but I turn into a drooling retard when I start boxing monsters). Did Richard Wiles's NESSY, two very different levels using the Plutonia IWAD. One was basically a deathwatch map with tons of teleporting monsters which I liked. The other was more traditional but no less enjoyable. Too bad he thought he was done with Doom at the time or we could have gotten more stuff in the same look.

Now playing Coffee Break's E1.

Oh, that vodeim21 thingy will not be continued. I'm not interested in making simple "walk in the park" levels anymore. My next releases will be a lot more hardcore and most players will probably hate them. :)

Memfis said:

Oh, that vodeim21 thingy will not be continued. I'm not interested in making simple "walk in the park" levels anymore. My next releases will be a lot more hardcore and most players will probably hate them. :)

Well at least I know it's not getting any sequels now!

doh!!

I posted here a few times of various games I was playing.....now I just realised its supposed to be Doom stuff only.....I feel stupid!

Strife, with Samsara, as Duke Nukem. Just beat The Programmer.

What I found kinda odd was that I went to check out the old Front base, after we moved into The Programmer's castle, and found Macil was there, too. He's in two places at once! How... weird.

Finished scythe all maps on UV and pistol start Now playing Surge by Josh Sealy, man I'm loving! Short and sweet! The level design seems to surpass every thing I have played before IMO, so simple but yet so well thought out! :)

Next to play:
Scythe X
Scythe 2
Speed of Doom
Vanguard
And the list will never end :P

About to start either 2002: A Doom Odyssey or Scythe, whichever the megawad club decides to do next :)

In the mean time, been playing some Torchlight.

Finished Surge and Scythe X, beautiful, just beautiful!!! =P Loved every bit of Scythe X, BTW I would LOVE to see Scythe 3 but I don't even know if Erik Alm is still in the doom community. :(

Right now I'm gonna start scythe 2 UV pistol start and then Speed of Doom and then Vanguard and then etc...

I'm now at map25 of Scythe 2, RIDICULOUSLY HARD, way too many revenants and arch-viles but I kinda like it, but those red marines no, I HATE THEM!!! I think that Scythe 2 starts to bore the player when it becomes heavy slaughtering, only waves and waves and "endless" waves of bony freaks!

vanguard.wad (Doom 2) I'm just at the start of the third level and finding it to be an incredible mapset.
ahatred.wad (Doom 2) If I'm not confusing it with another map I think this one is very difficult and as I'm unable to progress past a quarter of the way through I have put it on hold.
whack.wad (Doom 2) This was a lot of fun but not unique or ambitious enough to warrant subsequent playthroughs. I recommend it but it is brief and probably not worth holding onto.
vtf.wad (Doom 2) This map is gorgeous and I'll consider it completed since I acquired the last key and hold just 18 more enemies to kill before a shotgunner scanlined me to death from across the map. :(

Shadow Hog said:

Strife [...]

What I found kinda odd was that I went to check out the old Front base, after we moved into The Programmer's castle, and found Macil was there, too. He's in two places at once! How... weird.

I think that happened in my playthrough as well. I rationalized it as he had access to a teleport or rapid transit system I was not aware of. ;) Why he raced to arrive at locations prior to me I have no idea.

Coffee Break was really good. I hope Matt makes some more coffee. Short, punchy action makes things go by really fast and it would be cool to see him take on even more level themes.

Played Pitfalls, C30N9's PRCP reject. I can see why it didn't make the PR cut. It's a decent level on its own with some nice gameplay in certain spots but it doesn't compare to the finalized project.

Also played Wiles's Crusades. It looks gorgeous and plays like survival horror. After cracking it open in DB2 it looks like most of the difficulty adjustments are adding more health. Some of the maps play like "Hell Beneath" on steroids.

Just finished Atomic Tomb. It was a very fun, very cool little level with tons of action and a blast to play. If you're not allergic to Boom, I would check it out.

Now playing Herian and Herian 2.

Finished Scythe 2 some days ago and I've gotta say, AMAZING! Map26 sucked IMO for lack of ammo.

Now playing Speed of Doom, two amazing different styles combined together in a megawad, well I love joshy's style but I'm loving Darkwave0000's even more.

Loved map01, short and sweet, good presentation, map02 has a feeling of suspense. Map03 was weak, loved maps 4, 6 and 8, 10, 12 and 14 from Darkwave0000, map10 stands out for me, inspired by the famous style of level 11 from Plutonia although he add pain elementals too.

Joshy's maps are more linear, shorter and don't even have that feeling of open-world or exploration that Darkwave0000's maps have but Joshy's style of mapping reminds me of scythe 2, it seems like joshy's work was inspired by Eric Alm's, the best joshy's map for me is map05, GREAT UNFORGETTABLE MAP! I think it was inspired by map06 from Alien Vendetta.

So far I'm at map20...

After beating Winter's Fury for a third time I hunted down Pyroscourge/Starscream's other .WADS. Insanity's Edge is on my to do list, and I've just finished Darkness Falls.

You know, I'll defend GZDoom to the death, but this was the sort of mod that made me think that perhaps 40oz has a point. It certainly looked the part, but the gameplay stank. Bad. Between some totally illogical bits of level progression that had me stuck for ages (eg the first outdoor area with the slime) and some frankly stupid traps (small square room, Archie, plasma spawners, no cover) I managed to get halfway through MAP02 before I finally lost patience and started spamming the cheat codes. The core boss was a complete joke - not only do you have to contend with endless bosscubes, but the platform you're standing on breaks apart and sinks into the pit below with no means of escape.

This should have been ace, but the awful monster/item placement and over-reliance on ACS gimmicks ruined the experience. Given the masterpiece that was WF, it's hard to fathom how the same author put out this monstrosity only a few years earlier. I'm reliably informed that Insanity's Edge is better than this - I can only hope.