Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Manc

Ziff Davis Purchases IGN, Plans Shut-Down for Various Sites

Kotaku's recent report of Ziff Davis's purchase of IGN has recently caused a bit of a stir amongst Doomworld members considering the ugly UGO logo that used to grace the upper-right corner of every page on this site. Be assured that Doomworld's parent entity, AtomicGamer, has not been in a relationship with UGO for the past two years. Therefore, this news will have zero impact on the future of this site. Thanks for your concern.

There was never a plan before? UGO has been around for a long time and could have gone at any time, I'm surprised it lasted this long.

The most obvious solution would be to buy the domain or otherwise a new one to host the site. Time to ask for donations :P

Well, I certainly hope there are some plans to keep Doomworld going if something bad does end up happening. Or rather, I hope that it's possible to keep the site going if something happens. It would suck to see this place go down the drain, especially with all of the history contained here.

Yea, I just saw this news, and came running over here. I see that it could maybe make an impact. Hopefully not :/

Mechadon said:

Well, I certainly hope there are some plans to keep Doomworld going if something bad does end up happening.

I don't know if there are any plans beyond much wailing and gnashing of teeth on the IRC channels, accompanied by a surge in alcohol consumption. I've just registered doomworld.net, should we need to move somewhere else at short notice.

Hi all. Ingenuous observation: could really the purchaser be interested in stopping DOOMWorld operations? After all, as far as I know the site has quite a big following (as a community site) and the IDGames archive web interface is sponsored. So why throw away all of this?

(sorry in anticipation if I missed something big and obvious in this rationale :-) )

rsl said:
(sorry in anticipation if I missed something big and obvious in this rationale :-) )

You missed the fact that AtomicGamer, Doomworld's host, is powered by the Iranian nuclear industry and not by the sites being shut down.

AtomicGamer (...) is powered by the Iranian nuclear industry

Huh?! :-D Being not from U.S., I am probably missing some joke here... :-)

*facepalms himself*

Yeah, and it was quite obvious too. Thanks for opening my eyes, and sorry... :-D

Mr. Chris said:

Yay, more corporate takeovers. :/

I'd take ownership by Ziff Davis over Newscorp any day. One being mostly a publishing company, the other being the official media outlet of the deranged far right.

The bulk of people would likely flock to the ZDoom and Zandronum forums, god forbid if any go back to the dead NewDoom forums..

Mr. Chris said:

The bulk of people would likely flock to the ZDoom and Zandronum forums

...suddenly ToD's post makes much more sense.

TimeOfDeath said:

Who else would've suicided if Doomworld disappeared? BE HONEST.
jk

I'd probably just stay on IRC if it happened.