Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NerdKoopa

[TESTERS NEEDED] Herbtech beta 3

The map has now been updated to beta 3! For those who missed the previous versions, here's the rundown:

This map for Doom 2 is set in a facility dedicated to the research and development of genetically manipulated plants. Abandoned due to the demon invasion, it's now slowly being consumed by a rogue experimental plant. You simply need to survive through it!
Best played in ZDoom.

My goal was to make a fun basic map with an unique theme. I'm pretty sure this is going to divide opinions due to its very un-Doom look.

Now to the important stuff. There are several things still wrong with this map, and that's where I need the opinions of experienced Doom players. Here are the things that still need attention and adjusting:

The quality of my custom textures
This is the first time I've ever made custom textures for a game. I'm not exactly Da Vinci, but I don't want the player to go "Oh geezuz those are some ugly textures!". I'm kinda worried about the sky texture.

The difficulty level
Currently the difficulty levels have been disabled. People found beta 1 to be too easy even on UV. I'm struggling to figure out how to make the map more difficult without making it frustrating and unfair.

The pacing
This should be self-explanatory. I'm not entirely sure about the current pacing of the map. Again, that's where I need the opinions of experienced Doom players.

I think that pretty much covers everything.
Download link here: http://www.mediafire.com/?9fka8m26spj7l90

Now for some screenshots.

I'm in! As a vegetarian,I do have an interest.It is a very good looking map.Still wish you would consider at least several maps though.

Sorry, but I always intended this to be one sinlge map. I didn't want to start with something too ambitious for my first Doom 2 project. However, after this is done, I do have an idea for a 6 map WAD.

Well,no matter.I played it,and it was a lot of fun,not to mention very pretty.You are a good mapper,so best of luck on future projects!

Well, maybe the sky does need a little work,but I didn't notice it much.There's probably other people that can give better feedback.

Creating a bunch of custom textures for a first project is ambitious enough.

Textures: they're cute, but very "clean". They'd look more at home in Chex Quest than Doom, in a way. Overlaying some subtle noise filter could perhaps help making them fit better with the few existing Doom textures you've used? Some highlight effect on the screens, too, to make them look shiny. Or you could recreate the crate texture (only stock textures I've noticed while playing) in the same clean style.

The sky texture in particular, heh, it works well enough.

Architecture: simple and straightforward. Most people would tell you to play more with non-orthogonal shapes, height differences, and windows.

Difficulty: very easy. I got shot once by a hitscanner at the beginning of the map, and that's all. Didn't get hurt anymore. Found the armor, soulsphere and the megasphere secrets, so I ended the map with 100% kills, 100% secrets, 100% items, 200 health and 200 armor. Also I was seriously overflowed with ammo, to the point of needing a backpack to grab all the ammo boxes that were generously laying around, but which I had to leave behind and abandon upon leaving the map.

I like the textures and felt they worked fine aside from the sky (reminds me of Batman: TAS more than anything Doom). Was an absolute breeze, though.

"What? No man-eating plants?" was my first thought when I played this. :P It's a nice little map: it's a bit simple, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It'd definitely be more at home in a set of similar themed maps, so it isn't easily forgotten. Nice little easter egg too. ;-)

ATTENTION! Map has now been updated to beta 3! New screenshots and a new download link! Comments for beta 3 start from here.

Changes:
* Made a new sky texture
* Increased difficulty
* More details
* The map now shows the proper name instead of Entryway
* The stats screen now shows the proper name instead of Entryway

Just played it again on HMP.

1) I liked the old sky well enough, but this one is more professional looking. Fits the clean aesthetic of the rest of the map, even if it doesn't mirror its playfulness like the previous sky.
2) Increased difficulty is nice. Still not overly challenging on HMP, but that's as it should be - especially for the first level.
3) Didn't really notice, sorry. Although one detail I wouldn't mind is red or yellow lights (or something) near the entrances to the areas that contain the red or yellow doors.
4) Cool.
5) Cool cool cool.

Additionally:
* Even in my second playthrough, I'm still not very clear on what this button does.
* The secrets are fun, but they're a little pointless now that they only contain health and armour baubles. Maybe consider hiding ammo in there on higher difficulties, so that finding these secrets (which aren't very secret, really) is almost necessary to finish the level with a comfortable ammo count.
* Regarding the textures, they're great. I especially like the 'noise' on the white (top) part of the main default textures. I'm not so sure about the very even shading lines on the orange (bottom) part, but maybe the texture would look too uneven with any kind of noise down there.
** everything green is perfect, imo.

Anyway, just some thoughts and observations. I love what you're doing. Can't wait to see more!

The "mystery button" lowers a wall from around the lift that brings you to the greenhouse. It might be a little hard to see from the button's location due to the grating. Thanks for the feedback! It's much appreciated.