Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Where the base has no name (single vanilla map)

Here is a wad which I made for a fellow doomer Larzuk (who is testing a megawad I am making) for his birthday, it was based on part of a map I made out of boredom recently but decided to finish it off belatedly for his birthday.
The name is a play on words of the classic song by U2
Tech based theme which I tested in choco doom and seemed fine though vanilla compatibility was just a curiosity at the end of making this map.
Download
http://www.speedyshare.com/8TSp2/wtthnn.zip
Good luck, I made this map quite hard
Idgames link
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=17103

Unfortunately, I seem to be incapable of completing this map even on ITYTD, but from what I can see, this is a map of the usual CB quality. Infact you seem to have a thing for industrial themes.

Eris Falling said:

Unfortunately, I seem to be incapable of completing this map even on ITYTD, but from what I can see, this is a map of the usual CB quality. Infact you seem to have a thing for industrial themes.

Probably because there are no difficulty settings :P
yet.....
Yeah I do like to make tech bases haha

cannonball said:

Probably because there are no difficulty settings :P
yet.....

Well, double ammo and half damage and I still go down after about a minute! :D

Yeah I do like to make tech bases haha

Meanwhile I suck at them :P I do like underground mapping though.

Heh, I wonder where the hell is ammo. I cheated by making the arch-vile angry at that spiderdemon, speeding up the game by 100x and waiting for several minutes... Got bored of waiting so finished them off by myself, then ran out of ammo in the next battle and died. crap FDA, will try again now. I like the looks and the gameplay, just need to figure out what to do with that spider? On my first attempt I tried to just ignore him but there was very little space to move and invis sphere didn't save me.

Ok, here is another attempt, miraculously survived the BK trap without any ammo and somehow managed to reach the exit, but I used that cheap "AV vs Mastermind" trick again and it took like 15 minutes for the spider to die. Oh right, that's because he is invulnerable to blast damage so he only takes 20 damage or so I guess.

bwahaha, I'm only posting this demo because I managed to kill the spidermastermind with berserk: fda, it's pretty poor playing otherwise. Also I promptly died afterwards, so oh well.

This map has some sleazy traps, and I echo others' complaints for needing more ammo. not bad though.

Thanks for making this for me. I played around for a couple minutes to see how difficult it is and I am not disappointed. I'll properly play this when I get a little more time.

I quite like this map, right along the lines of what I see as a fair and fun level. I died when the archvile pops out after you hit the switch, though the vile didn't kill me, a chaingunner appeared from behind and mowed me down.

I tried record a demo as well, the amount of times I went down to 1% was astonishing. I won't post it since it's nothing impressive :P

Now that I have had time to play this, I must say that I had a blast playing this map. There is a good amount of challenge in the beginning until you start getting some weapons.

In the current version I have found a mistake and that has to deal with the four archviles in sector 375. They are currently set to deaf and making it impossible to get 100% kills.

Edited to take out a mistake on my end.

You can't record a FDA if you already know the map. FDA is when you're playing for the very first time.

Memfis said:

You can't record a FDA if you already know the map. FDA is when you're playing for the very first time.

Sorry, I didn't know that. I won't do one then.

Eh, don't let that discourage you, a demo of you playing through this map still would be interesting at least to some people.

first part kinda optimized w/ multiple attempts, but fda after red/blue door:
http://speedy.sh/HArKV/wtbhnn-ggg.lmp

Kinda slow going until you find the ssg route. The mastermind seems easy to kill from cover. It seems kinda built to kill each monster as you come to it, rather than rewarding speeding past everyone to trigger stuff faster and kill stuff along the way and at the end. Died at the multi vile trap at yellow key (pre knowledge kinda needed there, not that that's necessarily bad since I prefer maps designed for uvmax rather than fda). Infighting the baron + revs is fun.